• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Are You Anxious Filling Out Forms?

Do You Have Trouble Filling Out Forms?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 57 46.0%
  • Sometimes, with specific types of forms.

Votes: 49 39.5%
  • No, I have no trouble filling out forms.

Votes: 18 14.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathy

MyPTSD Pro
My daughter is meeting with a publisher shortly, and as part of the meeting she is required to fill out a short form about herself. Just basic personal information, plus a bit about her education and experience as an artist. However, she is having a tremendous amount of difficulty even writing her name on the form. She has tried off and on for the last 24 hours. The form is due today, and she is very anxious and simply cannot complete it. As a result my husband is doing it for her. In the past she has not been able to fill out medical forms, tax returns, any kind of form really. I am wondering if this is common in those with PTSD, or simply a problem of hers specifically.

Kathy,

I have a very hard time with forms - for me, I think it is the "exposure" no matter how minor it is. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I will often fill out forms and then throw them away...

Grace

I have trouble with forms that I have to write, instead of type. I worry about spelling, missing something, doing it incorrectly. It does not keep me from doing it, but it does cause anxiety.

I have a very hard time with forms - for me, I think it is the "exposure" no matter how minor it is.

Exposure? I am not certain what you mean Grace. Exposure in the sense of you exposing yourself, making yourself vulnerable by writing your name on a form and so on?

Nie, that is interesting, that you worry about mistakes. Evie hates making mistakes when writing, so perhaps that is part of it for her as well? I am uncertain as she can't seem to articulate what the problem is exactly.

Thank you both for your comments.

I said yes to specific forms. It's anything that requires thought. My name, address etc. Is fine. But ask my what my hobbies are and I'm screwed. I can not think and answer on demand about stuff like that. Most of the questions I don't even have an answer to. I try to avoid forms actually. Usually it takes me weeks to fill one out.

bec

Yep = exposed and vulnerable...now more people know my name, address, etc. and of course whatever is on the form is even worse - I hate medical forms. Maybe comes from my name and my family name being well-known in the circle of the abuse - who knows...

It depends on the form. I instantly thought of all the forms I had to fill out having Leo and they are forms that I don't like filling out....it makes me feel like I'm condensing my history to a yes or no answer. I'm also sharing information to people that may not ever understand or actually judge me for my answers. So basically, if the forms are about me, then yes, I'm uncomfortable. If they are about someone else (my daughters or son) it's ok.

My name, address etc. Is fine. But ask my what my hobbies are and I'm screwed. I can not think and answer on demand about stuff like that. Most of the questions I don't even have an answer to.

Ah OK that is interesting Bec. Similar to pressure to perform so to speak? Nam and Grace, also interesting explanations regarding giving information to strangers, thank you. Evie still cannot articulate why however we do not mind filling out the forms for her so it is not a huge issue. Good to know that she is not alone though. Thank you all for your thoughts.

My problem with forms is in understanding the instructions. I am afraid I will put the wrong info in the wrong place.

As an aside, I almost did not make it through school because I literally could not take a test and pass it. I could give the correct answers to the teacher (verbally) in private. Give me the same test the normal way I would fail it.

I do not fill out any forms. Well, typing one in on line does not seem to effect me. But handwriting on one just simply overwhelms me for some reason and for something so basic and forward it confuses me and confuses me why it confuses me LOL. I have no idea why it does, it just does. My husband has filled out all forms for me for as long as he has known me. If by chance he is not there like if I end up in hospital or the like a nurse will do it for me asking questions or my ex husband would.

I have to fill out forms for a new DL and new SS card real soon. Hubby already knows he will have to do these for me too. Just one of those things in life and a quirk we just know I have and accept. Though it does make me feel pretty stupid at the time even though I am not.

I always have trouble filling out forms. I think it is the idea that it is my personal stuff being exposed to anyone who reads it. It leaves me feeling very vulnerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back