1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are You More Tired Upon Awakening Than When You Went To Sleep?

Discussion in 'Sleep & Nightmares' started by Grama-Herc, May 13, 2008.

1. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc VIP Member

I know that we have very good information available to us in regard to sleep difficulties, but I could not find anything that adressed this issue.

I am so tired of waking up more tired than I was when I went to bed.

I have stopped making my bed or even tucking in the top sheet. Why bother. When I get up in the morning my bed looks like a fight happened. Everything is tied up in a knot.

I am absolutely worn out when I wake up. I need to literally take a nap to rest up from my night time sleep.

What the hell is this about anyway? ? ? ? :wall:
  2. captrn1

captrn1 New Member Premium Member

Herc-
    I know that when I suffer an attack I can only catnap during the day due to exhaustion.
    Try skipping the nap and see if you can get a nights sleep. sometimes it works but more often not. If I am in the hypervig mode forget it. I am toast for days....
    sorry I cant be of much help.
  3. linasmom

linasmom New Member

Herc - YES! In fact, I'm tired now from last night and I'm taking a nap. blah!
  4. cactus_jack

cactus_jack VIP Member

I don't even bother making my bed. I sleep on a bare mattress and use a blanket and pillow. I just don't care.
  5. lrs

lrs VIP Member

I have sleep apnea, had a sleep study done in 2000. I use a cpap machine for this. I would not want to live without it.
    It is my belief, there is a cross section of a sort, with PTSD and sleep disturbances. I think poor quality sleep might tend to perpetuate the chemical / neurological imbalance, that people with PTSD already have. Good sleep is not going to cure PTSD, but it is helpfull.
    I think it would be invaluable for you, and others who have similar experience, to go and have a sleep study.
  6. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt!

Herc, could you be fighting in your sleep?

I know when I wake up and the bed looks like that it means I've been tossing, turning, punching and kicking all night long. Basically reliving some of my trauma while I sleep. This usually happens if something has triggered a flashback during the day or my hypervigilance has gotten extreme from something during the day.

Just a thought..
    bec
  7. 2quilt

2quilt New Member

I have sleep apnea too, and I use a cpap every night. It has reduced my naps, cleared the brain fog of fibromyalgia, given me energy and made my IQ go up a whole point.
  8. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc VIP Member

Well now, looks like I've got some interesting things to think about in regard to my sleep or lack of it.

Bec. Never thought about fighting in my sleep. I am certainly tired enough to have been fighting. Lord knows the bed looks like it. Could very well be my "mystery monsters" I'm fighting. Interesting Hmmmmmmmmmm?

A sleep study could be an idea. However, getting an agoraphobic to sleep some place other than home would not exactly work, now would it? Talk about an anxiety attack---Good Lord---not a good idea. All I would do all night would be toss, turn, sweat and panic.
  9. sunnydaze

sunnydaze New Member

Grama-Herc,
    I am always tired. I yawn all day. I had 12 hours of sleep on and off last night hoping, I would feel refreshed. Today time will tell. I usually go to bed at midnight to ensure 8 hours of sleep. Last night was an early night. I too have sleep apnea and sleep w/CPAP. Many nights, I wake up with the hose unplugged and am having a hard time breathing or the hose is wrapped around me several times. I have tried different gadgets and masks w/ CPAP and this is the only one that I deal with the best. I also use a seperate anti-depression med, sleeping pill and flexiril to get this 8 hours sleep.
    sunnydaze
  10. sunnydaze

sunnydaze New Member

Becvan,
    Glad to see your back.
    Peace!
    sunnydaze
  11. cypher

cypher New Member

Hi Herc,
    This happens to me too. I'm so tired in the morning if I slept. It's almost worse than not sleeping at all and so difficult to pull myself out of bed! I don't know what's up with this? It's hard to focus on things and concentrate on what I need to do at work. But I don't know, good question!
  12. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt!

Thanks sunnydaze!

Herc, you have a nice choice of options, I'd say explore them all and find out what is causing it!

bec
  13. Anonymoose

Anonymoose New Member

For years now, I've woken up tired. I've come to accept it and I allow myself time in bed to try to wake up.
  14. faerieevenstar

faerieevenstar New Member

I'm tired even though I sleep from midnight until about 2pm... I'm always tired. If I get up any earlier I just fall asleep in whatever I'm doing...
  15. baileysemt

baileysemt New Member

I truly think this is just part of PTSD.

•• Herc, the constant ass-dragging tiredness? I was experiencing the exact same thing ... in fact I would spend pretty much all day in bed, most days, because I was soooo tired. I slept 12-14 hours a day routinely, plus naps, and I was still exhausted.

If I had to take a guess, I would say it is the excess/flood of stress hormones constantly bathing our brains, burning up our energy? It was as if I was running a marathon and solving the world's problems, 24 hours a day. That kind of exhaustion. And all I was doing was laying in bed? -- that's gotta stress hormones, totally.

•• As for sleeping on just a bare mattress with a blanket -- ditto for me as well!!!! Exactly!!! :eek:

Whether this is caused by PTSD or depression (I have both; my doc identifies the ambivalence/don't care attitude as depression) -- I finally decided, does it really matter? Either way, it is what it is.

So toss my token into the pool, I can totally corroborate those experiences. You're not the only one!

Bailey
  16. Mick

Mick New Member

I'm always tired no matter how much sleep I get. As far as fighting during sleep I do it all the time. I some times punch or kick things during dreams. I've mashed my toes many times on a wood TV tray by my bed.
  17. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc VIP Member

Well, Mick

Now I know where the mysterious bruises I get sometimes come from. I was beginning to think I was waking around in my sleep bumping into things!

Even thought "good lord, am I going out and not knowing it"? I started noting the mileage on my car before bed and when I got up. I would be like"hung over" in the mornings and super tired. I really was beginning to worry and was getting afraid to go to sleep---fearing what I was doing in my sleep--partying, who knew? ! ? !

At least know I know I am tired because of the PTSD and I'm not loosing my grip!
  18. Mick

Mick New Member

One time shortly after I was out of the hospital from my stabbing in a drunken haze I left town with a friend who was going home which is about 1200 miles away. I woke up from my stupor half way there. Than my first night there I passed out drunk and ended up sleep/drunk walking around this small town. I was awakened some what by a police officer. I guess I'd walked by the station a few times. I must have looked crazy to him I was still a wild rocker I had on nothing but my leather pants no shoes or shirt in the rain with these fresh heart surgery scars on my chest and covered in tattoos. I thought I was back home walking to a friends house. He asked if I was OK I slurred something and he let me walk off lost. I had no wallet, phone or anything. It was one weird time slowly realizing where I was.
  19. pandora

pandora VIP Member

I have a hard time sleeping......my problem is...I wake up mad...for no reason. I really have to control this and it is something i work hard on but I always wake up pissed right off.....i don't really know why?
  20. flyable6string

flyable6string New Member

Watch T.V. to sleep

I dont know if this will help you or not, but my wife suffers from PTSD, she will turn on the T.V., leave it on all night, she says it helps her sleep better. I dont understand how the T.V. helps her, In my own thinking, it probably helps to shut off some of the chatter from her thoughts because she becomes interested in a program and falls asleep while watching it, so her mind stays busy trying to concentrate on the program and not file through any thoughts like it would if the room was quiet.
  21. sunnydaze

sunnydaze New Member

Mick,
    I don't know if you are on any anti-depressions or sleeping pills. Some of these like Ambien have now been noted for people waking up in the middle of the night and driving, walking ect. A side effect of this drug.
    If you are, I would check with your doc.
    sunnydaze
  22. baileysemt

baileysemt New Member

That's exactly what's going on. Bless you for understanding it. :smile:

Bailey
  23. Marlene

Marlene VIP Member Premium Member

It all depends on what happened during the night. When the nightmares kick up (stress high) I tend to wake up three or four times during the night. When the alarm goes off, I'm usually wiped out and drag ass for the rest of the day. If it weren't for coffee I doubt I'd make it through some days.

I had four nights in a row of lack of sleep due to nightmares. I was also dealing with knots in my shoulders and would wake with tight muscles and in pain. I got the knots worked out and have slept through the night for the last three nights.

My DH tells me he knows how my night has been (and how my day will be) when he gets up and I'm still in bed rather than in the livingroom trying to get some sleep in my recliner.

Lisa
  24. cactus_jack

cactus_jack VIP Member

When nightmares kick up, sometimes I'll toss and turn if they're mild. If they are more than mild, the worse it gets. The worst of the bunch will keep me awake all night. My "other-self" will actually prevent me from sleeping, and it's good when it does. When I had a job and I had to force myself to sleep no matter the nightmares, it would compound the problem. And sometimes there's nothing I can do to force myself to sleep. That is the absolute worst.

Since I lost my job I have gained so much more mental stability. I feel a lot better mentally.
  25. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc VIP Member

Well, I appreciate all the info on my sleeping or lack there of. But CJ. I can sure relate to the way you feel now that you aren't working. The way I feel now compared to when I was working is like night and day.