1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspergers And Ptsd

Discussion in 'Other Symptoms & Disorders' started by Anna, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Anna

Anna Guest

Has anyone here had a diagnosis of aspergers as well as PTSD?

Or have PTSD and had a relationship with someone with aspergers syndrome??

I have been reading a lot lately, especially with females aspergers is undiagnosed. Same with PTSD in the past where females would often get labelled with borderline personality disorder even if they had both. Females with aspergers though intelligent can be very naiive, especially when it comes to men putting themselves in dangerous situations which could lead to PTSD. I find the subject very interesting. I also find it sad that there is virtually no studies or research into this.

If anyone knows of any, please post links here. I am very interested in this subject.

2. Beverly G.

Beverly G. Active Member

Hi Anna,
    I don't have Aspergers but I am married to someone who does. For us it has been a very good combination because he doesn't care about having people around or maintaining friendships. I tend to be very isolated at times and it doesn't bother him. He understands me in ways an emotionally healthy person never could. I think God putting us together was a great gift for both of us.

Anna and Ladyhope Somerset like this.
  3. positiva

positiva New Member

Hi, this is an old post I know. I was diagnosed severe chronic PTSD (after a really traumatic event) - I think that I have had aspergers all of my life. I did end up in dangerous relationships (with narcissist and then a psychopath) after I was diagnosed with PTSD and still in trauma and shock. (my brain was frozen for more than 3 years). I am just learning about aspergers now. I am wondering how having this affected the PTSD?

4. anonymous

anonymous Forum Anonymity Premium Member

Anna, I realize this is old. However, just wanted to let you know there are masses of women with PTSD who are in relationships with men with Asperger's (AS). There are online forums for partners of those with AS. In my experience, women with PTSD match with men with AS because they symptoms are very similar. What causes the symptoms is however very different. I am not aware of any studies. There are books though. If you're still interested, post again and I'll give you a list.

5. positiva

positiva New Member

Hi Anon, I think that I have spent my entire life with Aspergers. Honestly - nothing was like having severe chronic PTSD. With severe PTSD I was more vulnerable than I had ever been in my life. I was unable to defend myself. I was so bad I had no concept of the outside world (in terms of world, news, politics) anything bigger than my own world. For more than 3 years. The cognitive processing in my brain didn't work (before I was fast thinking) I was unable to process new information at all. For years. Nightmares, insomnia, flashbacks, intrusive thoughts. This is nothing like my experience of Aspergers.

6. Ed Norton

Ed Norton Well-Known Member

Aspergers is no longer a seperate diagnosis; it is now in the autistic spectrum...just some information.

7. TeaLeaf

TeaLeaf Active Member

I'm so glad this thread was started.

I have PTSD and have also thought I had aspergers though I have never been diagnosed. I frequently feel like I am "acting" in social situations, I know what to say and do but it doesn't feel natural or even sincere a lot of the time. Before lots of therapy I did not know what to say and do and I frequently upset people with my bluntness and aloofness, I still do that sometimes. I sometimes want closer friends because occasionally I don't want to be lonely but then I feel like it is a lot of work. I don't feel close to people, most other people (especially women) don't share my interests and I have a fear of men because of my past trauma.

I have discussed it with my therapist (who has a family member with aspergers) several times and she says it is always in the back of her head but shes not convinced I have aspergers, that my feelings and behavior are more relating to long term trauma and resulting PTSD. She also says that my personality is different from most women and that's just an individual difference. Despite her reassurance, I still worry sometimes about this.

8. Hello. Diagnosed with PTSD several years after leaving the service. Sent to a facility for several test and discovered I'd also been living with Aspergers. Was 44 when I even heard of Aspergers which was when I was diagnosed. Mom and sister were skeptical until they read up on Aspergers. For me the hardest part is the two holidays with fireworks and dealing with people at work during an emergency. I work at a hospital boiler room so most of my work is alone. But if someone is trapped in an elevator or the power goes out then I'm off running to respond. The emergency itself isn't the problem, it's dealing with people at their worst while I'm under a lot of pressure. They don't like how I talk to them during such events and it's gotten me written up. Been at this job 15 years. Most of those who've written me up no longer work here so somehow I outlasted them. Wife is my opposite. She's very friendly and outgoing and loves to talk. But she has spinal problems which leaves her in constant pain. Wish I could afford to stay home and care for her. Some days it seems like I'd be better off going on disability to get away from the stress and the depression it causes. The prescription helps but I think I need more help. All my family and coworkers noticed a difference when I got on my happy pills. One sad/funny incident. One night I heard a loud boom and I dove to the floor. When no other boom happened, I ran to the bedroom to check on my wife. Called 911 to report possible gun fire. My recliner is less than 4 feet from the refrigerator. Wife had left a can of come in the freezer and it exploded. She's learned not to slam cabinet doors nor make loud sudden noises.