1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Asthma Linked to PTSD

Discussion in 'News, Politics & Debates' started by batgirl, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Asthma Linked to PTSD

People who suffer from post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) may be more likely to develop asthma, new research suggests.

Scientists at the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health say that the link between PTSD and asthma cannot be explained by common genetic influences.

They studied 3,065 male twin pairs who had lived together in childhood and who had both served on active military duty during the Vietnam War.

Among all the twins, those who suffered from the most PTSD symptoms were 2.3 times as likely to have asthma compared with those who suffered from the least PTSD symptoms.

Both identical twins, who share the same genetic material, and fraternal twins, who share only half of the same genetic material, were included in the study.

"If there had been a strong genetic component to the link between asthma and PTSD, the results between these two types of twins would have been different, but we didn't find substantial differences between the two," said lead researcher Dr Renee Goodwin.

The increased risk of asthma was found to remain even when other risk factors were taken into account, including smoking, obesity and socioeconomic status.

The study, published in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, also confirmed previous findings that linked asthma with a higher risk of depression.

Reasons for a link between between asthma and mental disorders are as-yet unknown by scientists.

"It is conceivable that traumatic stress, which has been associated with compromised immune functioning, leads to increased vulnerability to immune-system-related diseases, including asthma," the study's authors said.

"Alternatively, it may be that having asthma places adults at increased risk for PTSD as it increases the likelihood that they will be exposed to a traumatic situation because they have a life-threatening chronic medical condition."

Source: inthenews.co.uk

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. kers

kers I'm a VIP

Intriguing, Evie! As I have asthma (and I know you have it, too, quite seriously) I might put a poll up to see who else is in the same boat.

4. Maine Guy

Maine Guy New Member

Batty, I was at the Pentagon on 9-11 as 1 of the cops. I was in the blast and gas field for 14 hours w/o any mask or protection. I also served in an infantry unit for 4 years. And I also have asthma. Now I realize it might sound a bit strange but if I can function in a line infantry unit (running up to 14 miles a day for PT) and not have a problem w/ my asthma then why now, after 9-11, can I not do 1/2 of what I used to do because I am consantly running out of breath ? Add to that is the fact that I was 'retired on a disability' by the government and then the gov't turns around and denies that I was retired on disability, is it a wonder why so many of us 9-11 retiree's windup either developing asthma or being degraded for suffering from the disease because of PTSD exacerbation ? Send me the address of this doctor doing the study. Have I got a picture perfect case study for him !!

Ronin likes this.
  5. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

Welcome to the forum Maine Guy, lovely to have you. I removed your email address as we not permit posting addresses on the forum, for your protection, as emails are easily picked up by spammers. I am not certain Evie (batgirl) knows the address of the doctor in question, however since she is my daughter I will ask her, and if not I will personally try to find the information for you. Take care.

6. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Hi Maine Guy, yeah actually my mum is right, I don't know the information about the study, I just posted the news article about it. Between Mum and I though we will try to find out for you. Oh and welcome to the forum too!

7. pandora

pandora I'm a VIP

Do you think the increased anxiety could be a reason for an increase in asthma symptoms? Just a thought.

8. No-Twitch-Tabitha

No-Twitch-Tabitha Well-Known Member

I've always been asthmatic, but my symptoms had diminished as I'd gotten older. They flared back up about a year before I was finally diagnosed with PTSD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

User search cloud:

1. asthma and ptsd

2. ptsd asthma

3. astma ptsd

Show Sidebar