1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

At this point now

Discussion in 'Treatment & Therapy' started by futurefocussed, Oct 10, 2017.

1. futurefocussed

futurefocussed Active Member Donated

I know that I don't post on here much anymore, but I remember that people care about me here and how I am doing, I don't know how many though.

As his usual self, @Florian7051 encouraged me to post, to kind of check-in, without even realising that he did this.

Right now it is 9pm and I'm tired, it's been a heck of a couple of months and I had therapy today.

I finally felt ready to talk about the institutional abuse that I suffered not so long ago, I hadn't really talked about it, but I needed to prove to myself that something was different, that not everybody was going to react the same way as my pastor did last week.

We talked about how far I have come, how I am compassionate towards someone who is downright rude to me on a regular basis, how I'm seeing the bigger picture, that compassion wasn't something that was encouraged at the institution, but rather that it was something that was discouraged and basically banned.

I talked about how disgusting I felt when I was conditioned to respond to sexual advances at a young age (as young as 7), but that I also began to desire it, like something had been turned on in me. we challenged my feelings of worthlessness and disgust to then see how far I have come, the fact that I feel disgust, shows me that I now see it as wrong, that what he did was wrong, seeing right and wrong, and not simply believing, but questioning what i've been led to believe.

What has happened these past few months is that i've begun to learn to trust myself, trust what I feel is right and to trust my memories. I've begun to make the hard decisions that I've been called to make.
    But also I have finished the Dialectical Behaviour Therapy Skills program through my local hospital. And you know what? it shows. I'm seeing the strengths that are developing in me and noticing them in my everyday life, I am not running away from conflict anymore. I even acknowledged to my pastor that I may have misunderstood him, rather than running away, we talked it through. This shows growth and maturity in me (or so my therapist says).
    I've learned that I have a capacity and a tenacity that goes beyond what I may see in me, but that also, I am more than what I've gone through, than what was done to me, and look I'm even complimenting myself, saying positive things about myself, who would have thought that that were possible? Thing is, I haven't noticed how far I've come.

Imagine for me an empty glass, everyday you add 1mL of liquid, you don't notice the difference 1mL makes, but someone sees you on day 1 and then say on day 150, there's a big difference, but you don't see it because it's just been 1mL a day.
    That's how it's been for me, I haven't seen the 1mL's but people have seen the 30mL, 60mL, 90mL, etc, they've seen the difference in me, and now I'm starting to.

So what next, I've been on a waiting list for an individual therapist for over 6 months now, where I'll be able to see someone on a weekly basis, we're going to be talking about and dealing with all my trauma, I'm almost at the top of the waiting list (1 or 2 before me apparently), it's someone new, but it turns out that my current therapist (I see her monthly) is leaving at the end of the year, and that's ok, God knew this and had it all in hand.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. The Albatross

The Albatross Product of decisions rather than circumstances Premium Member Sponsor $100+

Particularly liked "Imagine for me an empty glass, everyday you add 1mL of liquid, you don't notice the difference 1mL makes, but someone sees you on day 1 and then say on day 150, there's a big difference, but you don't see it because it's just been 1mL a day." My mentors called it "just barely noticeable differences" and yeah they add up. Well done and kudos for you for completing the DBT program! Very glad you checked in.

Disco Dancing Queen likes this.
  4. Florian7051

Florian7051 Well-Known Member

I'm glad you are checking in. If I in some way facilitated that, then I am happy to have helped out, but don't let that take away from the amazing work you've been doing. Recovery is not an easy process so what you are doing is nothing short of amazing and I'm glad you're giving yourself credit where credit is due. I'm happy to hear from you and equally happy that things seem to be going well for you. Please keep up the hard work and do let me know from time to time how you are doing.

5. ladee

ladee I'm a VIP Premium Member

When others start to notice, and comment, it is very validating that all that hard work has added up ! And that you are now seeing it, and trusting yourself. And completed the DBT program. A lot of progress ! Thanks for dropping and and sharing with us... please let us know how you are. Very encouraging and positive post !

shimmerz and Disco Dancing Queen like this.
  6. Disco Dancing Queen

Disco Dancing Queen "Go dté tú slán" Premium Member Donated

Self trust is huge!

Congrats!

That is an awesome metaphor.

shimmerz likes this.
Show Sidebar