1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Auburn Hair Colour - Venting

Discussion in 'Social' started by becvan, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Okay, someone (no names mentioned) very rudely said to me.. I thought you said you had red hair. So this is to show, verify and clarify that I do have red hair.. AUBURN hair to be exact. Auburn hair is DARK RED.. as in until the light hits my hair it's hard to notice.. light hits and wham.. red, red red.. As you can tell, this is a sore spot with me.. and I'm not going to explain why here.. for those of you that do not think Auburn is red, and tried to make me out to be a liar.. read below.. From Wikipedia, Red Hair:

bec

Red hair

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about people with red hair, also sometimes called Redheads. For other uses, see Redhead (disambiguation).

Red hair (also referred to as auburn, ginger, or titian) is a hair color that varies from a deep red through to bright copper. It is characterized by high levels of the reddish pigment pheomelanin and relatively low levels of the dark pigment eumelanin. People with red hair are often referred to as redheads.

Red is an uncommon hair color among humans; at most, two percent of the human race is redheaded. Red hair is found mainly in Northern and Western European populations, and their descendants, although it occurs in low frequencies throughout other parts of Europe, Asia and Africa. Red hair appears to be caused by a recessive gene on chromosome 16 which causes a mutation of the MC1R protein. It is associated with fair skin color, freckles, and sensitivity to ultraviolet light. Cultural reactions have varied from ridicule to admiration; a common stereotype is the “fiery-tempered redhead”.

As well as in humans, red hair can be found in other mammalian species such as orangutans, squirrels, and highland cattle. Red hair or fur can be found in some breeds of dog and cat, and certain species of fox and deer.

Genetics

The genetics of red hair are now being uncovered, together with connections between red hair and melanoma, skin disorders in general, and different reactions to anaesthesia. There is evidence of genetic linkage of eye color with other hair colors, such as brown hair, although MC1R is not linked to eye color. The inheritance of red hair is close to what geneticists describe as an autosomal recessive mode of inheritance. This means that the parents of red haired children may carry the gene for red hair but not have red hair themselves.

There is also evidence that red hair may be an example of incomplete dominance. This means that when only one copy of the red hair allele is present, red hair may blend with the other hair color, resulting in different types of red hair including strawberry blond (red-blonde) and auburn (red-brown).

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Scott_Fraser

Scott_Fraser Well-Known Member

Your hair seemed to be a lot darker on the live chat last night.
    Scott

4. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

You know bec, I had people know me for a few years and thought I was black or brown on top. Until they saw me stripping paint off a door one day out side a club and another bar taking out the trash. They were shocked to see the sun hit my hair and throw off those bright colors... Of course mine is bottle red, but in dim lights or rooms it looks very much dark and normal. Black hair only goes so light LOL... Without melting!

5. becvan

Imagine that.. sitting on a webcam that doesn't take good pictures, with low lighting.. and hmmm it looked dark.. like dark red!

bec

6. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

funny thing bec... You remember that stray cat comment? And brooms? They see you in the sun and boom twice as many LOL!

7. GR-ass

GR-ass Well-Known Member

LOL

Hell my hair sits anywhere from sandy to strawberry blonde and even an almost copper depending on what I wear, what the light is like and how clean it is.

8. Borderline

Borderline Member

When I was young my hair was bright red, over the years it became darker to an auburn colour, then most of it fell out, just my luck! Red is still best. If only 2% of population have red hair are we over represented here?

9. becvan

Yeah mine was a bright copper red when I was little too! It darkened to Auburn when I was around 8 or so.. mine hasn't fallen out yet though!

Hmm No I don't since there's over a 1000 members, I believe, and only a handful of us.

bec

10. wildfirewildone

wildfirewildone Well-Known Member

:kickass: RED HEADS!!!!!!!! I admit that I'm a bottle one but everyone says it looks goooooooooood on me!!!!! :crazy-eye

11. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Its funny actually, in that I am blonde, yet in the right light, the sun can make it look as though it has tinges of red in it, yet blonde only. In dark, it looks much darker obviously, as its not the fake vanilla blonde that women put through their hair to be blonde. Obviously if I don't wash it for a week, it looks much darker then that it is...

12. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

My mother has red hair, my wife has red hair......I have no hair.........

13. rosered

rosered New Member

So this is where all the redheads have been hiding out!
    Now that my hair has a little grey, I have organic henna on it. This makes it look even a little redder than it used to be. I like red hair, so this is good.
    I hope everyone is having a good morning :smile: