1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Auntie and Uncle VERY Sick!!

Discussion in 'Social' started by batgirl, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

OMG my Aunt and Uncle (Jim and Kathy) got really sick suddenly earlier this afternoon! First Uncle, he said he was feeling poorly, achey and hot, and then he started coughing super bad. Then about an hour later my Auntie, same thing! They both had fevers too. I would think just a cold or something except that it came on so suddenly and violently for both of them! It scared me. Because it was so sudden, I called the hospital and the nurse said to be on the safe side, bring them in, as there was is a very nasty influenza virus going around right now. So... I put my new found driving skills to the test and drove them into town! Jacob came along as well, he also has a learner's permit, so he could take over driving if I felt too nervous. However I did fine. I took my aunt's car, which is an automatic, so it was fairly easy for me after having driven a standard for nearly 2 hours yesterday. It was pretty scary though still. We are about 20 minutes from town so I spent that much time on the highway! I did keep my cool however and we arrived at the hospital safely.

It turns out my aunt and uncle do have the bad influenza virus that's going around. They were given some medication at the hospital and allowed to return home, but they are both in bed. The doctor said the virus lasts about 10 days. I don't know how long they are going to be in bed, but they are very miserable at the moment, and I thought I would give everyone a heads up, that they might both be offline for a bit. So far I am not sick, but Jacob just started coming down with it about an hour ago, he is now in bed too. My cousins Jeremy and Molly are here right now too, and Molly says she feels funny. Ugh.

Anyways it looks like I am the adult now and have to look after things here! Hopefully I don't get sick too. But if I suddenly disappear from the forum as well it means that I have!! :( I hope I don't get sick, and also hope I don't get super stressed out, as I have to look after things now, including all the animals we have here on the acreage! My uncle said to call our neighbours for assistance and I left a message so hopefully they respond.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

Oh, I'm sorry to hear this, Evie. I hope they recover before 10 days! What good timing that you had some driving practice yesterday!!!! Good job! And good luck taking care of them and everything else - hope you get some help, too - and remember to take care of yourself as well, not easy, I know, but... anyway, I'm wishing all a speedy recovery.

4. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

OH no!! I would have been scared too! Ugh...I'm sorry to hear about everyone getting sick around you, I hope you don't get sick too!!! Remember to look after yourself, while you are trying to keep on top of everything else. I wish them well and hope they get better soon...

Well done on driving them to the hospital though Evie... that's quite an accomplishment!! I don't know if I could have done that!

Take care...

Lisa.

5. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Thanks for the good wishes. I hope everyone gets well quickly too! Jeremy just informed me that Molly went to bed now too, so there's now four people in bed. I'm feeling a bit funky myself actually but I'm not sure if it's just stress and/or imagining I'm sick since everyone else is, if you know what I mean. I am tired though and I think I'm going to go to bed early tonight. I will try to come back tomorrow and keep everyone posted. I'm going to set up the laptop by my bed so I can check messages or email in case anyone wants to know something. Bleah...

6. Shinigami_Shimai

Shinigami_Shimai Active Member

I hope they get well soon. I know how frightening having a loved one sick can be. A while ago my wife was ill and we did not have her health card yet so I had to keep a close eye on her to make sure she didn't not get worse or we would have been in trouble...

Anyways, keep and eye on them and the like and try to not stress out too much. They have medicine so they should be alright. Just try to not make yourself sick with worry and stay strong.

jaa ne

Kat

7. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

Hi Evie,

It may be a long week so get tons of rest and fluids. Hope everyone feels better soon.

Wendy

8. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

I do hope they feel better soon. Do a lot of hand washing! This will be good for you. I know it is scary to be the grown up but it will give you a chance to see how much you have grown personally having to care for others now. It is always a bit interesting and an eye opener when you are not the one who comes first. Was for me.

9. mouse

mouse Well-Known Member

Evie congrats on keeping your cool driving especially under extra stress of the worry, I hope that they feel better soon and that you do not get it , sounds like its not a fun thing to be sick with, well Take Care of yourself while you are taking care of everything else.

10. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

You take care please Evie, and best wishes to Jim and Kathy for a speedy recovery to health once again... its simply yuk being sick and not participating in life. I know I don't like it anyway.... Please take it easy on yourself Evie, as you should know your immune system is weaker than most, and with PTSD in motion under stress, weaker again. Please be careful and take care of yourself. If you go down... not good.

11. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

I hope they have a speedy recovery also. My best to them!

Plus everything everyone else has said! Reread that stress on the body and keep it in mind!

bec

12. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Thanks everyone. I'm back online afterall, managed to get a tiny bit of sleep, but I must be stressed out because I woke up suddenly with a night terror and that hasn't happened for a couple of weeks. Jeremy is getting sick now too, so that's 5 people down. I'm the only one in the house now who's not sick. I also talked to Krista (Travis' wife) on the telephone, she has it also and so do 2 of the grandchildren!! So it's really hitting pretty bad. It's kind of amazing I don't have it yet actually.

Yes I am worried about myself, given how weak of an immune system I have. Not sure if you guys are aware, but about 80% of a person's immune system is located in their stomach and intestines, and considering that I'm recovering from stomach cancer and have had some intestines removed as well, it could get pretty dangerous for me if I was to get sick. I talked to the doctor about it when I took my aunt and uncle into town earlier, and he said I should definitely be hospitalized if I come down with it. However he said there was no point in me going to stay with friends or at a hotel (I had thought of that), because I've already been exposed to the virus, so if I'm going to get it, it's kind of inevitable.

Luckily Larry our neighbour got my message, he came over and his wife sent a huge pot of soup too. He helped me release our goats and sheep onto this pasture land we have. Normally the goats have a kind of courtyard they stay in, but it's a lot of work to feed them and clean up after them, it has to be done daily. So, since the pasture land is full of brambles and bushes that my uncle was wanting to clear later on in the summer, Larry suggested the goats go there now. Goats are really good for clearing land as they like to eat bushes. My uncle was going to put the goats there eventually. Anyways so the goats and sheep have been released to forage for themselves, I just to make sure they have plenty of water. It will be a bugger to catch them again but it makes lots less work for me right now.

Larry is being really great actually, he's going to ring over here again in the morning to check on things, and if I'm ill he will take me into town right away as the doctor wants. So no worries there. Just I have to try to calm down and get some sleep now. I'm all hyped up.

13. ryair

ryair Active Member

Ahh Evie, you're a brave girl!!! Best of luck with everything, and my love to your Aunt and Uncle. I hope they are feeling better soon!!:thumbs-up
    You will look back on this and be amazed at yourself and how you have handled everything!!! (We already know what an amazing girl you are)
    Look after yourself!!!
    Ryair xxxxx