1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Autonomic Nervous System (ANS) with PTSD Discussion

Discussion in 'General' started by cookie, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

<added by anthony: This thread has been split from the [DLMURL="http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread163.html"]Autonomic Nervous System[/DLMURL] (ANS) with PTSD thread within pain management forum.>

very interesting, can i ask you a question? your very last word there...grounding....my t uses it some, but i don't quite understand.is it like keeping your focus or something? sorry to be so dumb, but i have not had any experience with this stuff before. cookie

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

A couple of variations to the term cookie
    • Grounding can mean returning to a fully-conscious state after an esoteric or psychedelic experience.
    • "Grounding" in spiritual experience can mean a living energetic connection between person/space/thing and the earth; necessary for: sustaining authentic presence, and experiencing emotional and spiritual safety.

4. LYSETTE

LYSETTE New Member

I Have Been Stuck On Fight Flight Or Freeze For About A Year Now And I Can T Stop Running . Not Literally But I Look Like A Selfsavatoger When I Just Dont Get Out Of Flight My Feelings Are Wrong And I Want To Say I Suppose Because It Seems Real Threat Somewhere Tome But Its Just Me Messing Up Running Away From Everything. I Cant Stand It .lysette In Tucson

5. anthony

Welcome to the forum Lysette.

6. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

When I would exercise "grounding", I would actually visualize my feet on the ground and took deep breaths from the ground with my eyes OPEN. Look at stuff that was around me. The floor, the walls, the lights, the whatever that was different than the flashback that was causing the panic. It does work to a certain extent. But, at a point, it doesn't work anymore. When there are too many triggers that cause too much of an intense reaction, no amount of grounding will keep me from convincing myself that I'm not in danger. It does take practice. LOTS....of practice. But a helpful tool...

7. anthony

Nam, a useful technique for what your describing is the five rule. When you suddenly are within a situation that causes a panic attack, you stop, you process:
    • 5 things you can see
    • 5 things you can touch
    • 5 things you can smell
    • 5 things you can hear
    We leave out the fifth sense, being taste, as often you won't have 5 things you can taste. Remember that one for your next panic attack Nam, and give it a shot. Basically, by the end of doing that, you have more often than not, forgot what made you panic, or the attack has subsided, with little to no expression off it, and you are then calm.

You can adjust this to suit also, ie.
    • close your eyes and touch 5 things
    • close your eyes and smell 5 things
    • close your eyes and hear 5 things
    You can also do a countdown as you better better, ie.
    • 5 things you can see
    • 4 things you can touch
    • 3 things you can smell
    • 2 things you can hear
    • 1 thing you can taste (if appropriate at the time)