1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Awareness Is Half The Battle

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by star, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. star

star New Member

Hello. I am an ex social worker for a large city. I investigated child abuse for years with no debriefing afterwards. During the time I worked for CPS, I was exposed to many abnormal events including being harassed, threatened, and having a dog sicked on me while out in the field. Having knowledge of harmful acts upon children is a traumatic ordeal. There is a life and death stress that one never forgets after working in crisis intervention. Little did I know that years after that job I would develop a severe stress reaction that became an ongoing problem. Panick attacks, anger, and fear became part of my daily life. There was a period of about 7 months that I was triggered right and left. I experienced such severe emotional distress from little things. My reactions were disproportionate to what was actually going on. My behavior was so irrational, it was embarrassing. At my current job, I could not sit at my desk for more than an hour without having to get up and walk around. I thought I was going crazy and forced myself to see a therapist. I am glad I now have the knowledge of what PTSD is and the tools to help me get through it. One of the hardest things is finding people who understand your situation and can fully support you. I have a great appreciation for any survivor of a traumatic experience. It's important for any survivor of a trauma (abuse victims, crisis workers, soldiers, cops, crime witness, etc) to get help after a terrifying experience. There is help out there! Awareness if half the battle.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Hi Star, welcome to the forum. I must say, you raise an interesting point in which people work jobs which are placed in hostile situations merely trying to help others, or care for those who cannot care for themselves, being children as an example. I congratulate you for your strength on this, and thank you more so than anything that you have helped children from bad situations and showed them that all people are not abusers.

4. goingonhope

goingonhope Member Premium Member

:hello: Hello, star and Welcome! I must agree, with the above statement completely. As, I know that this can be very traumatic especially if helpless and powerless to do anything to intervene. ...that horror, (both of powerlessly witnessing .....and that of knowing of the abuse, and being powerless to do anything to protect those children,) is some of My worse memories.

Star, I too want to thank you personally for helping children. :thumbs-up Children are our (the worlds) most precious little beings and souls !

:smile: There is a great deal of info. on PTSD here on the site and great support, and I hope you find both.

Hope

5. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

hey star, welcome to the forum.
    cathy

6. GR-ass

GR-ass Well-Known Member

Hey star

This is a thank you for helping kids when they nbeeded it.

Oh, of courrse it is traumatic to see abuse and not be able to stop it.

with this statement though
    At my current job, I could not sit at my desk for more than an hour without having to get up and walk around

has anyone else experienced it? I have days where I do it, end up pacing the house, my room, just super jittery.

7. vcc123

vcc123 Active Member

Hi Star

I know I'm late, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum.. its a nice place to be with others that understand and accept us lovingly. Hope you find as much help and comfort here as I have.