1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Back From Iraq Again - Anyone Out There?

Discussion in 'General' started by bcovert, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcovert

bcovert New Member

I'm back from Iraq again and this time I opted out of the service. I miss the Job but I don't miss all of the things around me exploding and waiting to die on a daily basis. The first time I came back it took me several months to "unwind" myself. The last deployment was much worse and now almost ten months later I am still as cranky and PO'd as ever.

I tried to find somone to talk to. The first person was a nice middle aged, extremely wealthy shrink from the north side of Chicago who I was told was a subject matter expert in PTSD and was publishing a paper. When I called she said that she had completed her paper and did I have insurance.

The guy I went to see last was this middle aged sensitive pony tail guy who keeps giving me tests to take with a No 2 pencil, three sessions so far at $200 a pop. I could save him the trouble and convice him that I really need some help when I throttle the life out of him.

Thoughts?:mad:

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. -m1-

-m1- Member

There are others here whom will be a lot of help to you, but I am not in that category.

What I can say is "Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your service."

m1

4. rob4444

rob4444 Active Member

glad to see you made it back...sadly your battle isnt over yet,but dont give up...theres some brilliant help available...hope you find yours soon...thankyou for putting yourself at risk to protect the masses..respect!

5. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

The doctor hunt is no fun but keep looking until you find one you click with. I know my testing did not interfere with my therapy, it was sent home with me and brought back. I also discarded doctors and therapists who tried to tell me I must be bipolar within 5 minutes of meeting me because certain medicines made me sick... Without a history and after I had been diagnosed.

Just because they cost more does not make them qualified. Maybe simply a therapist instead of a doctor? I preferred personally for me a psychiatrist to handle my medications I did not see often and a psychologist to give me therapy. Since moving here I saw a therapist instead of a doctor, and saw a psychiatrist once. I went through therapists too before I found one I liked.

First you have to weed out the ones you don't like on a personal note, and the ones who spin their tires wasting your money. Just keep hunting and nothing wrong with looking around for a good service since you are the one paying for it.

This forum is a valuable tool too. Welcome.

6. No-Twitch-Tabitha

No-Twitch-Tabitha Well-Known Member

I can only speak from personal experience.

I would recommend finding a therapist who specializes in trauma (my therapist is actually a licensed traumatologist) first. It may take a while, but it's worth it. There aren't a lot of therapists who specialize just in PTSD, but make sure you find someone who actually has some experience in helping PTSD sufferers.

Don't discount your instincts. If the person doesn't feel right, or you are uncomfortable...walk away. It isn't worth it to pay all that money for someone who isn't going to help you in the long run. If they insist upon foisting treatment on you as opposed to including you in the process, walk away. If they don't seem to be taking you, your personality, or your concerns into account (forcing you into talking about something before you are ready; quoting theory at you before you get more than 3 words out of your mouth; throwing meds at you before the ink is dry on the paperwork, etc), walk away.

Also, make sure the therapist is up-front with you on the form of therapy practiced...you may need cognitive-behavioral (I do because of my "negative self-talk"), you may not. The therapist should be able to tell you at least at the end of the first session whether or not they can help you.
    If not, then ask for recommendations, but once again, take with a grain of salt. There should always be the interest in and concern for helping you, even if that particular person cannot.

Once you find the therapist with whom you are comfortable, ask them which doctor they would recommend or who they would have treat them. When I first started seeing my current therapist, she sent me to a psychiatrist with whom she has worked before to make sure that my medications are adequate and are helping me. My experiences with him have been good so far and I am happy to not be a guinea pig for the latest drugs from the pharma rep.

So: therapist first, pyschiatrist second.

7. mortiis31

mortiis31 Active Member

I am here for you, buddy

Mate,
    I'm here to help - have had PTSD for over 20 years now, and I'm here to talk to you if you need a friend, or just want to take some frustrations out, you know?

Take care!

Scott

8. 2quilt

2quilt I'm a VIP

Here I am!

Welcome home from a Desert Storm vet, and I am happy that you are staying home. If they start taking about redeployment, tell them no, and go get yourself at least one diagnosis that will prevent you from redeploying. I am also very happy that you are seeking help for PTSD right away, and that you have found this forum. There are many resources. If there is a possibility that you could get VA disability from any damage done to you while on active duty, get copies of your medical records now. If you ever want to make a claim at the VA, you don't want your records to "get lost" later. Talk to you again soon, I hope.

9. kers

kers I'm a VIP

Welcome back. I'm glad you made it back from two tours.

I second (or third?) the encouragement to find a counselor/therapist/social worker with whom you feel a good connection, rather than based on cost (or even credentials). More letters after their name does not, necessarily, mean that they are more able to help you. The person who will help you is the one that you are wiling and able to trust enough to open up to.

Keep looking. There's good help out there, somewhere. And this forum is a tremendous support.

10. No-Twitch-Tabitha

No-Twitch-Tabitha Well-Known Member

I have relatives from both sides of my family serving in the military, and it is something of a tradition in my father's family (I'm just about the lone civilian out of his clan, and my mother's kids aren't in the military, neither, but my brother-in-law's late father was a Secret Service agent for Kennedy and gave many, many years of service to this country).

I thank all the soldiers on this forum for their service. Without you, my behind wouldn't be here, free to post anywhere, write about anything. I'm grateful for what you do, because not everyone can do it.

In talking about the VA, my father served in the Air Force since he was 17 yo, and when he got ready to retire completely due to his health (kidney failure), we went through so much crap with the VA because his records were "lost" or "incomplete". Filing medical claims when the real costs of surgery, etc started to add up, getting everything straight...nightmare. Make sure your ducks are all in a row as soon as you can, otherwise someone else's bureaucratic cock-up will come back to bite you. Especially when it comes to asking back for what you put in.

11. para-noid

para-noid New Member

Good Luck Mate , I Am Ex Uk Airborne And Have Had Ptsd Since 1982 ( Falklands Conflict ) And Have Had No Help Whatsoever Form Uk Government Or Military .i Really Do Hope Things Get Better For You
    Andy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar