• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Back To Basics

Do you struggle with or have had to relearn

• Breathing

Votes: 42 67.7%
  • Eating / Food Issues

Votes: 41 66.1%
  • Sleeping

Votes: 54 87.1%
  • Eye Contact

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Talking

Votes: 41 66.1%
  • Movement / Gross or Fine Motor

Votes: 24 38.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday

I have this idea in my mind that most of us are affected by most of these things at one point or another. Not really sure how accurate that idea is.

I often times feel like a toddler having to seriously relearn all the basics, before I can move on to things like crossing the street, sharing, and standing in line. Aieeee! Look out! She's running with scissors. ;) Conversely, I'm still an adult, with all of the acquired learning still rattling around up there. Or as a girlfriend of mine with combat PTSD once said "Arrested development + Mad skills = Damn Good Time or Disaster."

I'm not so sure that it's RElearning it. It's more like learning it the right way. I have always been seriously socially backwards. I think the worst is in therapy. I actually don't really know what my theapist looks like. I've kinda glanced at him a few times but really, I would only be able to identify him by his feet (he wears flip flops) and I notice when he gets a new pair of jeans. *shrug*

I can't even claim to be a 'beautiful mess' I just kind of string shit along and manage to sometimes form pretty sentences by playing the word jumble game correctly.

I LOOK like an adult, shop and pay taxes like an adult, hell I even go to work like an adult but honestly, I really feel like I'm about 6: I'm praying I can figure out how to find my way back home tonight and that I don't mess up and pee myself at school again today.

"Arrested development + Mad skills = Damn Good Time or Disaster."

LOL, that's great....

To some degree.....I have some hard earned skills life skills I was rather proud of and I feel I've deteriorated significantly since "it" all started. I'm not sure I get them back?

I can't even claim to be a 'beautiful mess' I just kind of string shit along and manage to sometimes form pretty sentences by playing the word jumble game correctly.

LOL again, wonderfully put....

Best, Whirlwind

Not so much that I have to re-learn as much as I have to get it in the first place. I also couldn't pick my therapist out of a lineup! He asks me why I'm always looking down. Or staring out the window. I participate without awareness unless I'm in a school environment -then I pay super close attention and enjoy it. I guess it's a matter of interpersonal relationships. I know I was put into first grade at 5 because my mother @was sick of having kids at home". Always socially awkward. Isolate.

I tend to think 'well, back to the basics, time to learn them -well- this time'. It's cyclical and I don't but then, boy what a great moment of pride when it's something I Know Already.

Where it actively bothers me is languages though. When I remember all the ugly words and not even swearing in the same language, I feel my coping skills are significantly crippled.

@KwanYingirl, five fluently. It's more what everything else represents to me though. Different people, different times of life, different memories. Different accessibility with different languages, and I don't like going all behavior changes on people because of it, just because I was a rather different person in different companies where this or that was spoken. (Apologies for not being able to explain better. Basically dissociation and multilingual brain = don't mesh together.)

I often start to cross the street without looking both ways. I catch myself sometimes before I get out there, but other times I have had a car swerve out of my way or stop for me at pretty close range. It happened for the first time a few years ago and I even did it today again. No cars were coming today, and fortunately I have not had a close call (like a foot away or something from a car that screeches to a sudden stop). I assume I am dissociating when I do this! It always freaks me out when I do it, because I suddenly come to the present and get scared by what has happened, worrying that one time in the future sometime, I won't be so blessed as to survive it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back