1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Back to Work

Discussion in 'Employment, Education & Disability' started by adrian_newbridge, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adrian_newbridge

adrian_newbridge Active Member

I started back to work today, it's left me feeling very scared and insecure after 18 months off. Anybody else get scary feelings and thoughts of slipping back when you restart work? One day and I dont know if I've done the right thing. Went back for all the wrong reasons, getting on my wife's nerves at home, trying to pay the mortgage off and wanting to feel normal again.
    I feal very tearful and afraid I wont cope again. Is it too soon after counselling ending a month ago?:doh:

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. John_R

John_R Member

I've been on SSD for a long time, and I've wanted to get back to work. I have a great deal of fear in taking that risk because every time I think that I'm ready I lose my temper over something and I know that if I did that in the work place I would be either fired, or I'd walk out and quit.

I give you a lot of credit for your courage. I think it's normal to go through ups and downs when you return to work after being out of work for so long. Just a guess, but what you're experiencing might have a lot to do with getting readjusted and back into that routine.

John

4. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member Sponsor $100+

After 18 months off of work, I would think that walking back into that, it would feel scary. Give yourself some time to get readjusted.....

Do you think that going back to therapy for a few weeks might help also with the transition???

5. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

Hello, it can be good to be back in work for lots of reasons. I'd encourage you to look after yourself before and after work and avoid taking too much on. Just take it steady. You're bound to be a bit shaky to start with. Take each day as it comes and make sure you get some fun and/or relaxing stuff in your day too.