1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Bad Couple of Nights

Discussion in 'General' started by mayertl, May 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mayertl

mayertl New Member

Night before last I went to bed (surrendered) without saying goodnight to my wonderful bride...bad mistake!

Last night I had flashbacks...first in a long time. Today I'm a wreck! I hope my lunchtime beer helps.
    Terry

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. piglet

piglet Well-Known Member

Hang in there Terry. I hope your beer helps too! Have one for me if you like - choosing to steer clear of the alcohol for the time being - pissed off a few friends for not wanting to go down the pub for my birthday! They'll get over it!

Hope things get better quickly for you.

4. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Don't you just hate those times? Just remember Terry, even though you had something you haven't for a long time, you can continue having them if you don't quickly identify the problem to why you suddenly had the flashback. Have you been thinking alot lately about your past traumas? If its unintentional, then there remains a problem deeper down, which you need to find quickly, bring it to the top, have a few more bad days no doubt, but your body should then accept it and move on. If not, then you will continue having flashbacks once again until the issue has been pin pointed.

I had a full strength beer on the weekend and it nearly knocked me on my arse, as I haven't had any alcohol in some time now. Tasted great though, and was well worth it.

5. mayertl

mayertl New Member

Thanks all...yesterday ended up being even worse. Laid down and just got scared...don't know of what. Then puked...ugh! Went for a long walk and crashed (better living through chemistry).

Today started better, but just had an unexpected visitor. Took all my strength to look "normal." After he left my wife made me some ginger tea which is settling my stomach some. I think I hate the nausea the most.

Wrote my shrink...got an automated response that he is out of country for two weeks.

Anthony, I guess the current events in Timor are in the back of your mind.
    Terry

6. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

They are a little mate, but nothing that is causing me distress. I am actually a bit disturbed at the public opinion with John Howard, ie. the public are saying he hasn't done enough with this conflict this time, or didn't move quick enough. When the original conflict began in 99, the public jumped up and down to put troops in to fix the problem, so we did, and we fixed it. Then, the public complained because troops where still in the country and they should no longer be there. So, the operation was wound down and troops pulled out, knowing full well the country was still not in a position to fully defend itself internally. And here we are again, the public complaining about the government not moving fast enough...

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The public just don't get it I believe... they just don't understand what is military and what is civilian matters. East Timor in 99 was a military matter, because the entire country was in turmoil, mass killings, etc etc, no law, no order. So, we fixed that very quickly. Now, this is just gangs creating chaos within Dili, so its not really a military matter IMHO, and I think the orders the military have been given to just show a presence but stay clear of Dili itself, is a very good order and method to achieve what needs to be achieved. The military is very intimidating compared to police. When you have a section or platoon of soldier in full gear, automatic machine guns and weaponry, rocket launchers and so forth, it is very intimidating, especially when it gets used.

The current matter is for police to fix, not military, and I think John Howard has done the right thing by just deploying a group of federal police to the area, so they can chase the gangs and arrest them, restoring order to the city. If the military go in, it means they completely take over and control the city, which is not in the best interest of East Timors recent independance. Police will control and fix this, and hopefully the Australian public might grow a brain and get of the Governments back to always deploy military into these situations.

If people had any idea exactly of the consequences deploying military in full swing can have, they wouldn't even suggest it. Some public groups are saying its 1999 all over again, when in actual fact its not even close. Mass genicide was 1999, because I was their, and gangs were not a problem. 1999 it took approximately 48 hours to have full control over Dili, hence the military moved in in full swing and controlled the city, then pushed up the entire country expanding as it went, and controlled the entire country within a week. This time, its just some kids who are bored, getting out of control, forming gangs and creating chaos within a city that is still trying to rebuild itself. This isn't malitia taking over an entire country, or causing mass genicide again, just useless violence which police need to control quickly before the refugee problem increases and scars all the citizens out of the city again, causing another issue.

I think about it, and can actually watch it on TV, and getting no repercussions from it, which is great for me, which means I am controlling PTSD finally... I would have to see how I went though if it did turn back into something like 1999, with bodies and chaos throughout the entire country.... not sure if I would travel as well or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar