• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Bathroom Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricanoland

Confident
Everytime I have an issue that leads to me suffering from a trigger from my PTSD, I end up in the restroom for sometimes hours. My stomach screaming in pain. The worse the issue, the worse the pain, sometimes even blood. After I use the restroom I get so light head I almost fall, and I can sit for nearly 15 mins...

Is this normal for PTSD?

Rica

Thanks for the post. Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question but I'm lookin forward to knowing as well..as it may help my husband understand himself better. I don't think it is exactly the same for him but it may be similar. Thanks for sharing.

I am going to the gastrologist tomorrow, because my doctor believes I may have Chron's Disease. Again if I had not seen this forum, I would have dismissed my issues.. and would have hurt my body more. Thank you.

Are you having luck managing it, Ricanoland? I was diagnosed with the same as a small child, and it got better for a while as a teenager, but has flared back up again in the past few years. It's a frustrating diagnosis, because it feels like the doctors are basically saying "Well, it's not something life-threatening, so good luck dealing with it!" Going to a gastroenterologist instead of just my GP resulted in a prescription for an antispasmodic, which helps a bit, but doesn't do much for acute pain (which can be extreme).

I've discovered that a combination of the antispasmodic (I take the generic of Bentyl, I believe), whatever painkillers I happen to have on hand, and a short-acting anxiolytic (especially if it's a stress/trigger-induced flare) seems be a decent cocktail to get through the worst of it, though a lot of the help there is because that generally puts me to sleep. I'm not so good at managing when I have to stay awake :confused:. I've heard good things about adding something with Simethecone (Gas-X) to your IBS toolkit. Avoiding trigger foods is number one on my list of how to prevent attacks, but they still always seem to pop up around exam times, flashbacks, other stressful situations....

How do you (and everyone else) manage, if you don't mind a newbie resurrecting this thread?

Hey Athena, Thank you for asking.. Well Personally mine is very strange to me, it seems to be completely stress triggered, so I can go a few weeks without issues. Then for days be victim to its...fun... I dont have any means to manage it right now, but what you posted is something I will try, at least something might work for when it does come to play. Thank You.

I have IBS as well. It really sucks how PTSD effects your stomach and intestines like it does. Really annoying. It seems to happen after being triggered. The advice from Athena is great. I will give it a go as well. Mind really does affect body.

I have moderate to severe pain, just diagnosed. This past 6 months have been unbearable. I have read where peppermint gel caps can be helpful for the gas as well diet. I'm still looking into it.

I'm sorry for you pain. An acronym to a very complex, painful issue.
((((((((((hugs))))))))))
Peace and healing,
Rain

I got given peppermint because I was having spasms once and ti caused me to build up so much gas it was absolute agony. Instead of coming out it just built up and up until it had to come out.

Man I have never farted such huge farts in my life! I swear they could have launched me like a rocket if they set alight to them. And the noises inside my tummy like a giant volcano.

Won't go anywhere near peppermint or peppermint tea now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back