1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Been Sick All Day

Discussion in 'Social' started by TheDeepestScar, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDeepestScar

TheDeepestScar Member

I've got a terrible cold. I woke up with it this morning and chances are my 4 year old son gave it to me, and now my husband is starting to get a scratchy throat too. There have been moments today where I couldn't talk my throat hurt so bad.

I went out and bought some Theraflu, but all day long I've been sipping herbal tea. Isn't it wonderful to get sick 2 days before Thanksgiving.

Besides OTC cold medicine...is there any tricks anybody uses for colds that seems to help you feel better? I feel awful...the expression I believe is death warmed over.

Also if there is every a punctuation or spelling error I miss in my posts you can thank my cats for that. I have a lap top and 3 lap cats (okay 2, one of my cats is rather aloof and doesn't often jump on laps). So they have been known to lay on my keyboard as I'm typing and block the screen at just the perfect time.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. cactus_jack

cactus_jack Well-Known Member

Anchor, that is absolutely uncalled for.

4. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

Deepest, I really sympathize. I've been sick as a dog with cold and flu symptoms since last Friday - the day after I stopped Paxil. Docs say they're probably withdrawal symptoms. So they directed me to resume a small dose and, presto, almost all symptoms have been gone or much abated within several hours of doing so. I was really depressed about not being well on Thanksgiving, since I love to cook everything.

If you have a real cold/flu, just try to rest up as much as you can. Stay in bed if possible, drink lots of juice, water, tea, and sleep. Hang in there.

Also, in our home, there's no rule that we have to have the dinner on Thursday. We usually do it on Friday. I hope you can enjoy the holiday when you're feeling better. Take care!

5. TheDeepestScar

TheDeepestScar Member

Thank you hodge. The other person's comment kind of stung me a little, I'm already having a really bad week as is with my moods and my temperment and just about everything else. I was just looking for insight, sometimes it's nice to have other people give you suggestions. I don't need anyone doing work for me.

I hold my own. I take care of myself and my family and well ouch. Didn't need the barb tonight, or this week for that matter.

I'm taking cold medicine here in a few and I'm heading to bed, I have to get up early once again because tomorrow is a school day for my kids and that means off to the bus stop and then an hour long drive to Martinsburg for an appointment I'm dreading with my psychiatrist.

But still I'm not sure how to take the first comment. Me, I'm taking it rather hard.

6. hodge

Hey, Deepest, no one needs that kind of comment. I still don't even really get what was meant. But please don't worry about it. Very rarely there are people who come on here and make comments that are totally inappropriate and way out of left field. But mostly we are a supportive bunch with a lot of comraderie. Please don't take it personally.

I hope your psych appointment goes well. Mine are usually extremely intensive emotionally, but I figure that's working toward the good. I do follow them up with lots of rest, though.

I also hope you get as much rest as you can, ward off those dang viruses and take care and enjoy Thanksgiving as much as possible.

7. hodge

Postscript - Deepest: I totally agree with Cactus Jack that that other comment was completely uncalled for. I've been on this forum since early last spring and I have never had someone post something so insensitive in one of my threads. I really hope you can disregard this as an anomaly, since this kind of thing really does not happen here hardly ever.

Take care, and I hope you find more support here (than the likes of the above unmentionable), as I have. Okay, feeble attempt at humor.

8. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

It was uncalled for and I hope you both feel better. One for the cold and 4 yo, and the other for being PTSDy...

9. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

I overload on vitamin C chewable wafers. I swear they help getting over it. The only downfall is that they can aggravate your sore throat! Keep drinking tea, stay warm, and vit. C. Get well soon!

10. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

Plenty of fluids - tea, juice, soup - but avoid coffee as it will dehydrate you. Rest as much as you can. Overload on vitamin C as Nam mentions. Personally I like the losenges with added vitamin C. I actually find OTC medication makes my colds last longer, so you may want to avoid it if you can, other than using an analgesic for pain. I do hope you feel better soon!

11. kers

kers I'm a VIP

I get sick quite often (I think my weakened immune system is related to the stress that comes with PTSD). One thing that helps a lot is simple rest. As I can't generally sleep when I'm ill, I usually take something like a Benadryl that will force me to drop off. After 8 or 10 solid hours of rest I often feel much better. I hope you're feeling better soon.

12. TheDeepestScar

TheDeepestScar Member

I'm feeling a bit better today, though I've still got a scratchy throat, took some medicine before I left the house earlier. Been cleaning up this afternoon since I'm hosting Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. Which all and all, I love cooking for my in laws...since generally speaking its the only company I get.

Thanks all.

13. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

Glad that you are feeling better... I think I caught it....LOL!!!