1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Being ineffective in college

Discussion in 'Employment, Education & Disability' started by College, Nov 13, 2017.

1. College

College Guest

Hi guys ! I'd like to know if any of you can relate, because I'm feeling quite lonely in this one.

I’m in college and I almost can't work at all. I can’t concentrate for more than several seconds on the teacher speaking or when reading, nor figure out complicated things. I feel anxious, breath-shorted, and I have a weird tickling sensation in the genitals. I can’t remember what the teacher says, what I read, I don’t feel connected to all this, my mind can’t form rational complicated thinking to solve a problem. I feel like I can’t succeed anything and this breaks my self-esteem, all the more that my family expects a lot from me but doesn’t know about my trauma-related issues. I’m in EMDR therapy but it’s gonna take a while before I can get back to being effective.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Snowflakes

Snowflakes Well-Known Member Premium Member

Been there....although a long time ago. You may benefit from a semester break. Some Colleges will grant a break mid-semester for medical reasons; otherwise file for a break while remaining registered. Just check with your Registrars Office for your College for their procedures.

You are in some heavy duty therapy work and your “stress cup” https://www.myptsd.com/c/threads/the-ptsd-cup-explanation.13737/ is running over. You’re not alone here.

You can, and will, succeed. I can’t tell you how to deal with the expectations of your family. Those expectations contribute to your additional stress. Perhaps you can bring this up with your therapist.

I truly know how you feel. Take care and I wish you well.

Lis2075 likes this.
  4. Recovery4Me

Recovery4Me Be present and stay calm! Premium Member

If you have a medical diagnosis consider scheduling a meeting with someone in Student Services or the Student Dean to see what is available. Sometimes it can be tutoring, extensions onto your term or time to allow catch-up with submissions (with perhaps a small penalty or letter grade decreased/removed), school withdrawal without penalty on your average,ect. Perhaps consider one less class for a bit if absolutely needs be.

And/or consider speaking to your Therapist on slowing down on the EMDR or switching modalities of therapy until college holidays for this season. I found when doing both at the same time adjustments needed to made to accommodate my processing and body memories.

You are choosing to better yourself. There is no shame within self-compassion and having realistic expectations to place yourself on the map. Best of wishes in all your endeavors.

Lis2075 and Snowflakes like this.
Show Sidebar