1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Best medication for ptsd

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Lynn94, Oct 11, 2017.

Which medication has helped you the most?

1. Lexapro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Xanex

12.5%
  3. Zoloft

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Paxil

12.5%
  5. Effexor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Celexa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Prozac

12.5%
  8. Better off meds

12.5%
  9. Other (please state)

50.0%
  1. Lynn94

Lynn94 New Member

i know medications effect everyone differently. I'm trying to start a new medication though and I'm curious about what worked best for others

Rain likes this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. EveHarrington

EveHarrington I'm a VIP Premium Member

I checked other as antipsychotics help me the most.

I think it's really going to vary as the best med is going to be determined in part by what symptoms you experience, and we all have a variety of symptoms.

Nikki Carter, Rain and Lynn94 like this.
  4. Chem Lady

Chem Lady Active Member

Ativan helps me keep the anxiety at bay.

5. Julesy

Julesy New Member

Prazosin is great for PTSD-induced nightmares. Highly recommend.

Nikki Carter, Lynn94 and Rain like this.
  6. Rain

Rain Believe the children Premium Member Generous $250+

Elavil helped me the most, but caused a cataract to develop in one of my eyes so I got off of it.

Nikki Carter and Lynn94 like this.
  7. Ragdoll Circus

Ragdoll Circus I'm a VIP Premium Member

For mood?
    I had a lot of success with lithium (mood stabiliser) and parnate (MAOI anti-depressant) but I'm now on Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) which is great for me. I've tried a couple of dozen different anti-depressants, most with negligible benefit.

Re-experiencing and intrusive thoughts:
    Been using Seroquel (Quetiapine) for years. Both instant and slow release. Also helps with my sleep.

Anxiety:
    Best results for me is going native. Lifestyle has much more impact than meds on my anxiety, but I use valium (Diazepam) as prn occasionally.

And the only reason I typed all that out!? To emphasise that I think it's incredibly complex to get it right, and the single biggest factor to get it right is how competent the prescribing doctor is. There is currently no "best medication" for ptsd in any general sense, and psychotropic medications are notorious for their side effects. The best you can do is hone in on the symptoms you want to treat and figure out which options work best for you.

Nikki Carter, Lynn94 and Rain like this.
  8. lostforgottensoul

lostforgottensoul Fighting to be freed Premium Member Sponsor $100+

None of the above. There is no medication for PTSD. There is only medication for symptoms of PTSD and that differs greatly from person to person.

Rain likes this.
  9. Freemartin

Freemartin Active Member Premium Member

I'm curretly on naltrexone. In some patients it reduces derealization/depersonalization. Not sure I've had that effect.

Horrible experiences with antipsychotics. SSRIs okay-ish, no miracles.

Rain likes this.
  10. lostforgottensoul

lostforgottensoul Fighting to be freed Premium Member Sponsor $100+

I take an anti psycotic. Seriquel XR (extended release), 200mg a day and adore it. It helps the emotions to level off more and not be such an extreme roller coaster. I think thats more for BPD though. Im still on .5mg xanax 3 times a day though I only take it at night now (all 3) for anxiety. Ah shoot, didnt see that there.

Again though, these aren't medications for PTSD as the title says. They are for symptoms.

11. Freemartin

Freemartin Active Member Premium Member

Oh, benzos do work wonders for me. Had them while hospitalised, loved them. They took the edge off and made life so much more bearable. Which is exactly why I don't use them. I'm sure I couldn't avoid getting hooked. Some people do manage to use them without problems, though. And it's a shame if they don't get them just because some people get addicted.

AnD likes this.