• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Better meds out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so impatient with meds.

So am I. Come here and post. Gain some support to help you hang in there with it.

I am going to read all I can about Seroquel.

Remember immediate release and XR (extended release) are completely different with completely seperate benefits and side effects. I have a 12 page thread about XR here Question About Seroquel Xr, For Anxiety, Not For Insomnia which mapped out my entire journey with it, if that helps.

Sugar craving was a big issue. It is still around but manageable.

XR is given for daytime issues such as anxiety, emotional deregulation, mania etc. Immediate release is given more for insomnia. It's what most on here take it for from what I have seen. To stay asleep etc. After a few weeks XR stopped making me sleepy. It builds up in your system and though taken at night a few hrs before bed, it actually works the next day. I think there is a timeframe at night that it's released but for me it helps mostly from the build up in my body. And I have been waking up every night for a while from nightmares so it doesn't seem to help for nightimes. But it seems you need it for the daytime anyway.

Anyway, I will be happy to answer any questions about Seriquel XR. I did take the immediate release but for only 2 nights before I ditched it in my safe so I won't know much about that but many on here do.

Sugar craving is already a problem, so no big deal :)
I definitely have no use for the immediate release. I'll be checking out your thread and will take you up on your offer any time I have any questions. Thanks a lot!

Thanks for the reply, Overcomer. I'm sorry it has taken me so long to acknowledge it. I had...
I dont know for sure from your bio, so i will just ask: did you do psychotherapy SPECIFICALLY for trauma? I tried various psychologists before and got no benefit. It was a TRAUMA CENTER that knew what they were doing that saved me. Also, a therapist trained in EMDR helped me improve by leaps and bounds.

I've addressed trauma through therapy here and there, but I have never made it the specific focus. In order to really confront it, I would have to choose which of my traumas has had the worst effect on me. While some are along the same lines, some are entirely unrelated to each other. So how do I tackle them? It has me thinking: Which trauma came first? How did the first affect the second? Could I have recovered from the first had the second not come along? So on and so forth. I wouldn't know where to begin.

I would need a therapist who could guide me, but I haven't found anyone who takes any initiative. I'll rephrase that - I haven't found anyone who would take any helpful initiative. I've found ones who will decide that we should talk about my day to day life or about my current relationships - things that such shallow minds can easily make sense of. I haven't found any who are willing to open me up and get dirty. There are a lot of talkers/listeners out there, but I haven't found one who's done me any good at all.

I have sort of looked into finding an EMDR therapist. One of the symptoms of my condition is getting overfocused on being cured, and the more obstacles between me and the cure means the worse my OCD gets.

In the case of the EMDR therapists I've searched in my area, the couple that are close to me have red-flags (my own personal red flags, which are highly influenced by my neurotic condition, and may or may not have any merit).

The ones whose webpages have given me a better feeling are located further away. Even though the distance is not far for a rational person, it brings up all kinds of worrisome thoughts for me.

I end up feeling more depressed and hopeless than I did before. Searching for the cure is indeed a huge part of my problem.

In order to really confront it, I would have to choose which of my traumas has had the worst effect on me. While some are along the same lines, some are entirely unrelated to each other. So how do I tackle them? It has me thinking: Which trauma came first? How did the first affect the second? Could I have recovered from the first had the second not come along? So on and so forth. I wouldn't know where to begin

That actually sounds like a really brilliant foundation to build IN therapy, rather than have all figured out before starting.

I would need a therapist who could guide me, but I haven't found anyone who takes any initiative. I'll rephrase that -

Have you tried using (the first part I quoted) as a specific therapeutic goal when interviewing trauma therapists?

I'm really interested in working with someone who can help me parse through my entire trauma history & their effects as part of my treatment plan. What happened in what order, how things affected each other then, and how they effect me now, both individual and cumulative effects, great & small. Is that something you'd be willing to do, or something you usually do as part of your trauma therapy with people? ...also... Do you feel comfortable taking initiative in a collaborative way, or are you more client-led?

Friday, that is a great script. It covers a lot in a concise manner. Yet I think you, as helpful as you are trying to be (and I honestly appreciate it), and Joey do not realize the extent of my anxiety, OCD and all-around, total, unrelenting mistrust. I'll be full of anxiety just calling to schedule an appointment. Maybe I'll end the phone call with a "goodbye", and she won't reciprocate. That's a major red-flag to me. It's a red-flag that she can't be trusted, but my mind can even take it so far as meaning that God is against me. That's my thought-process .

I don't act out. I've never been hospitalized. I can express myself well (on paper or online at least). To most people, I seem functional (maybe awkward, nervous, type-A, strange, defensive, but still functional). Yet my magical-thinking is deeply ingrained, and it is borne out of mistrust.

When I get red-flags right off the bat from their websites, what are the chances I'll be able to relax enough to trust them for EMDR. I did hypnosis and really liked the lady, but still would get thoughts - like "If I relax too much and really start to get something out of this, maybe she'll put her hand on my crotch, totally shattering me and once again proving that no one can be trusted, most likely because God hates me".

That's why I'm looking for meds. I won't rule out EMDR entirely, because I think I'm getting to a somewhat better place with the Lamotrigine. Maybe I'll be rationale enough soon to at least take the first step and make an appointment.

So I sincerely appreciate your advice and the compassion that comes with it, but in many ways I'm just not at a place where I can go with it. I'd much rather try meds first. But then again the meds I've been reading about, including Seroquel, all sound scary. I just may be closer to trying EMDR than I thought.

And there was another example of how my mind works - totally changing gears in an instant. Any therapist will have her work cut out for her.

I've addressed trauma through therapy here and there, but I have never made it the specific...
The trauma therapy i have had, you do not have to pick and choose which trauma to go after first. You are not expected to figure it all out. The trauma therapist will guide you. Just make sure you have a trained trauma therapist, and the therapist will do the rest. You do not have to figure the rest out.

I'll be full of anxiety just calling to schedule an appointment. Maybe I'll end the phone call with a "goodbye", and she won't reciprocate. That's a major red-flag to me. It's a red-flag that she can't be trusted, but my mind can even take it so far as meaning that God is against me.

I understand that fully! It is why I was forced into therapy "go or leave" when living at my dad's house and my step mom had to go with me to make sure I went in. If I had to leave my therapist, I seriously doubt I would even make an appointment or be able to call let alone go.

But, then again, today I know I need help and that could trump the fear and anxiety of it all. It wouldn't be as simple as a choice though. A lot of stuff factors in. But I do get it, totally!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back