• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Book Club Chit Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony

Founder
To keep chit chat out of book threads, I figured we probably need a chit chat thread in here, for none book specific stuff....

For instance, the first thing that comes to my mind right now is.... sooooooooo jealous of those who are already starting our first book, when silly Amazon are dragging their feet to even pack mine and get it to me, with priority International shipping checked.

Damn you Amazon.

Then... double spewing, as I had to buy another book on Lifespan Development for my counselling, as it says we need to read this further in our own time, find a book we like, etc... as the knowledge will be needed later down the track. So I've been looking at them for the last few weeks now, and DGN happened to provide a solid sourced one to me, which meets exactly what I need. Problem is, I already ordered on lot of books, so now this one is another delivery cost... damn it. Then even worse, Amazon send me a coupon today for credits that I get through this site, which I use to buy such psychology / trauma books to continue furthering my own education for helping others.

Not happy... as it all just occurred in the wrong damn order for me the last two days.

Then even worse, Amazon send me a coupon today for credits that I get through this site, which I use to buy such psychology / trauma books to continue furthering my own education for helping others.

Not happy... as it all just occurred in the wrong damn order for me the last two days.

Re order your books using your credits and then return one lot where you payed full price for a refund:sneaky:.

I am going to try this without buying too many books. The library is a good thing for me and CitizenMabel, she is always bringing home 50 books (well maybe not that many). So naturally we are going to pursue that route as best we can. We are currently on a holds list for 'The Tiger's Wife' but are anticipating that we will get it in the next couple of weeks. Otherwise we will drive the 47 miles or so to get the book from a store.

Also I think this thread is an excellent idea. We can discuss among ourselves any difficulties we have in reading itself also I feel.

Thank you for the education! It is pretty much blowing my mind that it is difficult to get books at reasonable prices anywhere on the face of this earth.

Despite having lived in different countries, I have never lived any significant distance from a bookstore and library. Maybe it is no surprise that I have been a bookworm my entire life.

Even with the internet, which we all seem to have access to in one way or another, book suggestions and titles are fingertips away. However, actually receiving the books seems to be a different issue.

I thought my deafness was a frustrating barrier because I can't just press "order" on different sites to purchase a book on tape or film with captions. I guess I will have to rethink things.

Otherwise we will drive the 47 miles or so to get the book from a store.

I live in the city (well, suburbs really), but as a child I grew up in what was considered a pretty rural area. Still, I cannot imagine living 47 miles from a bookstore!! :eek: And I feel so badly for others, like Anthony, who are unsure if 3 weeks is enough time to get a copy of a book.

**shaking my head and realizing how lucky I am**

A "bookshelf"? I knew I was insane, but I never realized how much so.

In my house there always seems to be room for more books. I just put together a spreadsheet with interesting books.

I moved to the U.S. with just over 25,000 books. In the meantime I have acquired another 15,000+. Luckily, books are cheaper here in the U.S because books typically come in paperback. In Europe, most books are hardcover.

Yes, all of you deserve your own bookshelf or even bookshelves.

Wow... that is some impressive reading. That is like my mother book numbers. She had so many boxes, they literally had to have a garage sale just for books, to cut down thousands from the storage. She just bought them and hung onto every single one... until forced to sell some of them.

Anything more than a bookshelf for me... I would be cleaning out the clutter.

I live in the city (well, suburbs really), but as a child I grew up in what was considered a pretty rural area. Still, I cannot imagine living 47 miles from a bookstore!! :eek:
We live in a city of over 3 million... and we do have bookstores just up the road, but they only have a limited range of books nowadays due to bookstores pretty much going broke from holding stock, which so many now get electronically.

I actually looked up bookstores here for The Tiger's Wife, and my expected response, in stock (from America), 10 - 14 days expected delivery. The one time I ordered from here that said the exact same thing, over a month... faster and cheaper from Amazon directly, as bookstores bulk order, not individually order from the US, so you endup with long delays until they have enough orders to warrant a single delivery cost from the US.

You can typically get the latest releases here, some other genres basic range, otherwise, order online from the Amazon is the best bet for speed of delivery anywhere in Australia nowadays.

We had a Dymocks 5km up the road, which spanned two floors and was massive... went broke and now a sports store over those two floors, booming in business.

Yeah are there any rules on when we can begin discussion? I take it that it doesn't matter when we begin reading right? Or have a decent amount of time so that we don't read spoilers as we go along? I hate asking this many questions in a single post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back