1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Book Club Chit Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Book Club' started by anthony, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Nicolette

Nicolette ♡ Princess ♡ Staff Member Premium Member

2. KP the nut

KP the nut Prettiest Duck in the Bath Staff Member Premium Member

I've had a sneak peak at tomorrows book and I'm not looking forward to it.
  3. anthony

anthony MyPTSD Admin Staff Member Premium Member

I started reading it this afternoon. I thought it would be pointless and boring, though only at page 10 and it has sparks of interest within it. It seems quite short, about 300 odd pages... so I have an additional book I got for immediately after it, Beautiful Disaster, which should be an appealing one. I am making myself read them in that order before getting into the new fifty shades series, which I know if I pickup book one I will read through until book three... once again, Nicolette will not be a happy camper.
    Nicolette likes this.
  4. Nicolette

Nicolette ♡ Princess ♡ Staff Member Premium Member

Aww... compromise and some self control. :inlove:
    Tifanee likes this.
  5. emmacub

emmacub New Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the bookclub, & just wanted to know what the next read is?
  6. KP the nut

Hi Emma, all the information you need is in the 'sticky pin' threads in the Book Club section. The following link shows what is being read and what is next. It is also the only place recommendations are accepted.

https://www.ptsdforum.org/c/threads/book-list.23114/
  7. anthony

Ok... I'm good to go now for the remainder of chosen books thus far. Just ordered the July to October listed books... already got next months here and waiting.
  8. KP the nut

I have next months book ready and waiting as well. Although I'm a Millennium trilogy girl at the moment :tup:
  9. KP the nut

I have The Glass Castle, ready and waiting on the bookshelf and today I 'won' Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close on eBay. £2.65 including postage - bargain :D.
    piratelady and anthony like this.
  10. anthony

Whoo hoo... my remainder book club choices arrived today, so I am now set through until Oct I believe it is that we've chosen up to at this point.
    KP the nut likes this.
  11. anthony

I am really quite excited about next months book coming around. I am really looking forward to reading this book, considering a major motion picture has also been made upon it which has made box office success. I don't want to see the movie until having read the book.
  12. KP the nut

I'm like that, if there is a movie of the book, I have to read the book first. I think, for me it is so I can imagine the characters and setting. It is a chance to use my imagination and to escape into a story.

Next months book arrived last week and I'm looking forward to it. I currently reading the Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest.

I'd like to start the Fifty Shades series. Oh dear, so many books, so little time and money:rolleyes:.

I must say, the book club was an excellent idea. I'm enjoying books which I would never have picked up.
    anthony likes this.
  13. KP the nut

I have the July book waiting and I have bought the books for Aug and Sept. I will wait another month and then buy the Oct book.
    anthony likes this.
  14. Mercy

Mercy VIP Member Premium Member

Hi. How do I join the book club?
  15. Ayesha

Ayesha Beautiful Disaster Staff Member Premium Member

KP the nut likes this.
  16. Mercy

Thanks, Ayesha. I read the link. I am puzzled by the note I seem to run into that says,"I have insufficient privileges to reply here."

I would like to read book 2 on the list. How will I know when to start?
    Sorry, just trying to understand. Life is a bit confusing these days.
  17. Ayesha

Which book is that? Running with scissors? That book hasn't started yet. (and I am not sure when it's going too) But you can read any of the books that have threads and comment on those.

I am sure Anthony will be able to help you more then I can. We'll wait for him to reply. :)
  18. Mercy

Good Idea. The book I was thinking about is The Secret Intensity of Everyday Life.
  19. KP the nut

Hi Mercy, if you read
    https://www.ptsdforum.org/c/threads/book-list.23114/

It will explain which book is read when. The current book for July is Extremely close and Incredibly Loud, the book for August, for which the thread isn't open yet, is Running with Scissors.

The thread explains which book were read when. Pick any read so far and join in. Books change on the first of the month.

I hope this helps. It is fun reading, I have read books that I would never have picked up. Maus Last Dancer is one of my faves.
    Mercy and Ayesha like this.
  20. anthony

You should be able to post anything in here. I do not believe there are any restrictions placed on this section.

Readers can post a thread about a book their reading at any time, and comment upon it. There is a chosen book club book that we start at the beginning of every month. Those books are chosen from a random selection of recommended reading. I may even change that after the current selection are read, as many who made recommendations then disappeared and didn't really continue to participate in reading books. IMHO, I think it is more fair that randomised selection is from people who are actually participating versus people who just want to put in their two cents and then disappear.

End of the day though, we have the next three books selected.

Again though, if you don't want to recommend a book for book club, and instead are planning on reading it soon, you can just post a new thread with the book, then provide your comments on it afterwards. That allows others to choose if they want to read it as general reading.

I'm sure lots of read books outside the one monthly book club one. I know I do... some months I have read 10+.
    KP the nut likes this.
  21. KP the nut

I like that. I know not everyone will read everything, well except me, but I'm just sad and love to read. But some members suggested titles and have never made an attempt at joining in.

I was actually getting a bit p*ssed off at folk suggesting books and then disappearing.
  22. anthony

I just changed the procedure to reflect that KP... I agree completely, it has pissed me off too. It is common though in many aspects here, people say a lot of things, though very few actually do.
    KP the nut likes this.
  23. KP the nut

Is there any way the recommended book list can have the books removed which were recommended by members not participating?

I'll run for cover now and hide under the duvet.

Night night
    Whitneys story likes this.
  24. anthony

I was going to do that, by simply getting those who are active in book club to review the list, pick out anything they want to remain, then the rest will get removed.
    KP the nut likes this.
  25. Ayesha

I do want to participate more but none of the books recently have caught my attention. Not a big deal to me, I can wait until something does. And I do keep an eye on it.

I would not mind thinning out the list. It is pretty long.

I will probably be reading the next book. It sounds good. :)
  26. Whitneys story

Whitneys story My very own hug forever! Premium Member

Nothing to be sorry about and there are no dumb questions, possibly some dumb answers. The note you are referring to is likely a sticky or locked note of Anthony's that does not allow commenting. They are everywhere. Reminders that stay where all joiners of the thread will see them.