• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Book List

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony

Founder
This thread is for all book recommendations. This first post is constantly updated with posted suggestions.

This is the only place suggestions are recognised.

Check the list first to ensure your book isn't already chosen to be read, has been read, or is listed for future reading.

Books Chosen (Ordered by Reading)
  • The Girl With All The Gifts by M R Carey - Nov 14
  • Forgive Me by Lesley Pearse - Dec 14
Books Suggested (Alphabetical)
  • Alien's Survival Manual: An Outsider's Guide to the Planet Earth' by Serena Gray
  • A million little pieces" by James Frey
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini
  • Blind Descent: Surviving Alone and Blind on Mount Everest by Brian Dickinson
  • Breakers by Edward W. Robertson
  • Don't let me go by Catherine Ryan Hyde.
  • Free Country: A Penniless Adventure the Length of Britain by George Mahood
  • Hardwired by Meredith Wild
  • Lady Chatterley's Lover - DH Lawrence
  • My friend Leonard by James Frey.
  • Odd Thomas Adventures by Dean Koontz
  • Orange Is The New Black - By Piper Kerman
  • Orphan train by Christina Baker Kline
  • Superior Storm by Tom Hilpert
  • The Long Walk: The True Story of a Trek to Freedom (288 pages, $6)
  • The Secret Intensity of Everyday Life by William Nicholson
  • The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas
  • When I found you by Catherine Ryan Hyde.
  • Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal by Jeanette Winterson
Books Read (Alphabetical)
  • Angela's Ashes' by Frank McCourt
  • Anne Frank: The Book, The Life, The Afterlife
  • Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
  • The Girl on the Cliff
  • Gone Girl
  • The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window and Disappeared
  • Life of Pi
  • Low Pressure
  • Mao's Last Dancer
  • Mr Maybe by Jane Green
  • Rescue: A Novel
  • Running with Scissors: A Memoir
  • Silence by Natasha Preston
  • Show no Mercy
  • The Alchemist
  • The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
  • The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling
  • The Enlightened Gardner by Sydney Banks
  • The Glass Castle: A Memoir
  • The Help
  • The Hiding Place by Corie Ten Boom
  • The Husbands Secret by Liane Moriarty
  • The Tiger's Wife: A Novel
  • To Find a Mountain
  • To The Edge
  • Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption
  • War Horse
  • We Need to Talk About Kevin
Series Books
  • [DLMURL="https://www.ptsdforum.org/c/threads/fifth-avenue-series-christopher-smith.27960/"]Fifth Avenue Series[/DLMURL]
  • [DLMURL="https://www.ptsdforum.org/c/threads/fifty-shades-trilogy.25256/"]Fifty Shades Series[/DLMURL]
  • [DLMURL="https://www.ptsdforum.org/c/threads/his-dark-materials-trilogy.27603/"]His Dark Material Trilogy[/DLMURL]
  • [DLMURL="https://www.ptsdforum.org/c/threads/stieg-larssons-millennium-trilogy.23989/"]The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo Series[/DLMURL]
  • [DLMURL="https://www.ptsdforum.org/c/threads/the-hunger-games-trilogy.23027/"]The Hunger Games Trilogy[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi anthony,

Could you clarify what "active participating book club participants" means? I'm working through The Hunger Games series and posting in that thread. Does that make me a participant?

Thanks,

Hashi

Active, is active in book club, meaning, you are participating in monthly books.

The last list consisted of peoples recommendations that they had read, they maybe wanted to read, books they liked and so forth. They then weren't seen again. Those reading and participating in the monthly books are considered active book club.

All other books, series or general, can be posted by anyone at any time, and commented upon. That doesn't make a person an active book club participant though.

I have gone through the list and would still like to read these.

And the Band Played on: The Enthralling Account of What Happened After the Titanic Sank (270 pages, $10)
Call The Midwife: A True Story of the East End in the 1950s (380 pages, $8)
Gone with the wind (960 pages, $11)
Rescue: A Novel (320 pages, $10)
The Brave: A Novel (380 pages, $11)
The Girl on the Cliff (560 pages, $12)
The Help (540 pages, $10)
The Slap (480 pages, $18)
We Need to Talk About Kevin (400 pages, $10)

I am new to the book club and hence have not made any comments.

Hi Mercy, as Anthony says above. I think you need to be an active member to recommend a book for the monthly read.

Active, is active in book club, meaning, you are participating in monthly books.

All other books, series or general, can be posted by anyone at any time, and commented upon. That doesn't make a person an active book club participant though.

Another for the list. I'm developing an interest in this type of book.

The Long Walk: The True Story of a Trek to Freedom by Slavomir Rawicz

Slavomir Rawicz was a young Polish cavalry officer. On 19 November 1939 he was arrested by the Russians and after brutal interrogation he was sentenced to 25 years in the Gulags. After a 3-month journey to Siberia in the depths of winter he escaped with 6 companions, realising that to stay in the camp meant almost certain death. In June 1941 they crossed the trans-Siberian railway and headed south, climbing into Tibet and freedom 9 months later in March 1942 after travelling on foot through some of the harshest regions in the world, including the Gobi Desert. First published in 1956, this is one of the world's greatest true stories of adventure, survival and escape.

I read the hunger games series, it was so good. couldn't get into the fifty shades series, they were kind of trite after reading the sleeping beauty series. I will look at these others and see if they fit my reading type. I'm a scify reader. currently reading 1Q84,

The last list consisted of peoples recommendations that they had read, they maybe wanted to read, books they liked and so forth. They then weren't seen again. Those reading and participating in the monthly books are considered active book club.

I love books, please tell me what this month's book is? Or what next month's book is, so I can read it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back