1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Sufferer Both my partner and i experienced childhood sexual abuse

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by seattlesurf, Jun 16, 2017.

1. seattlesurf

seattlesurf New Member

Hi. I'm both a supporter (for 20+years) and a (relatively recently clued in) sufferer. Both my partner and I experienced childhood sexual abuse. The circumstances and the long-term effects have been very different for both of us: he has always known what happened and has dealt with depression and rage for many years. For me -- a "high-functioning survivor," in the view of my therapist -- formerly repressed memories of family abuse have only begun to surface recently, in midlife, in a very fragmentary way. We're both in therapy, separately, which is a blessing, but life is not easy. At the moment, he's in an anger cycle and I am trying not to be thrown completely off kilter by that -- and realizing that his anger can trigger my own fear response. Happy Friday? Thanks for the space.

keta, ladee and Renestel like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. keta

keta New Member

i don't know much about that exactly, the only thing I would caution is that (altho it sounds like you're handling it well, at least on paper!) don't let yourself be his target or victim related to his anger because that's not fair to you and might reinforce any feelings you might have as your recognize your own trauma.

4. Justmehere

Justmehere passion + perseverance = grit Moderator Premium Member

Welcome to the forums!

keta likes this.
  5. EveHarrington

EveHarrington I'm a VIP Premium Member

Welcome!

keta likes this.
  6. keta

keta New Member

thank you!

7. Friday