• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Brain damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been away from this community for a while. I just haven't felt up to anything lately.

In addition to my anxiety, bipolar, and PTSD conditions (or because of them), I actually feel brain damaged. My memory and ability to concentrate are greatly impaired. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to what I remember and forget. I can recall/forget things from the past and present. I can recall/forget major things and minor things.

Sometimes my brain feels like mush and other times I have a headache far different than the sinus and tension headaches I am accustomed to.

I just worked up the courage to look it up (reputable sources such as NIMH and Stanford University- NOT Wikipedia!!) and anxiety/depression, bipolar, and PTSD can be associated with changes in brain function. It can actually change the way the brain works/doesn't work by changing its physical structures.

The good news is neuroplasticity, which means that the brain can be rewired and function can be restored in certain situations and conditions. But the sources don't say how, they just convey the protocol of their studies and the results.

I'm not sure whether to address this with my PCP or psychiatrist. I'm only 53 and hoping this is not early onset Alzheimer's.

Does anyone have experience and/or knowledge about mental illness and brain function? Especially about how to develop/sharpen brain function? I can't see getting back to any kind of work until I get better from this.

My memory and ability to concentrate are greatly impaired.

I've had the same problem. It does seem to be getting a little better. I'm able to read again, something I couldn't do for more than a paragraph at a time.

I'm only 53 and hoping this is not early onset Alzheimer's.
I have the same fear. My doc assures me it is unfounded.

Does anyone have experience and/or knowledge about mental illness and brain function? Especially about how to develop/sharpen brain function?

I don't have experience beyond being someone with PTSD who is trying his best to figure out the same things you are. I think there are a few things that have helped heal my broken brain.

Video games - They allowed me to concentrate on something that shut out the intrusive memories. They also gave some safe ambient sociability. Working together alone if you will.

Time - Time and space away from the constant pressure of trying to cope with modern life while still trying to deal with the PTSD.

Physical health - For some reason we tend to think of the brain as apart from our bodies. Its not. Its unreasonable to expect to heal our brain without looking after the rest of our body's health.

Just some thoughts from another PTSD sufferer.

Thanks for the response, Deadman!! My doc had assured me it wasn't something more "serious" a while back. He said when you are anxious/depressed/dealing with PTSD the brain sometimes regards memory and concentration as peripheral abilities and they take a backseat to other functions. My concern is that these problems seem to be getting worse with time.

I even have times when I am driving on a familiar road and yet nothing looks familiar!!! That's scary!!!

I think your doc is right. I have my suspicion that we PTSD sufferers spend so much time deliberately trying to forget things that it spills over and we start forgetting things that are easier to forget. Like whether we ate breakfast or where we left the car.

What's surprising is that sometimes I'm quite "with it" and there seems to be no pattern to my spells- and even when not in a "spell," my brain feels sluggish.

I guess it's one more thing to accept. Worrying about doesn't seem to be helping:)

My concern is that these problems seem to be getting worse with time.

I wouldn't worry about it. Your brain shoots off new pathways (synapses) all the time. Just because PTSD is technically damage to a part of the brain doesn't mean that damage causes permenant issues. Just google how new synapses happen. The brain is a very intresting muscle!

For me, the issues get better with time as I learn new coping skills. You were away from the site. Maybe this contributed to using older coping skills? Or at least not learning new ones?

You may be dissacoiating. I do that all the time. "Come to" in the store and not remember how I got there.
Not remembering parts of a conversation, but remember other parts.
If you are more stressed that usual it may be contributing. Speak with your T about it.
Hope you find an answer. It can be a worrisome symptom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back