1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Bridge Collapse in Minneapolis

Discussion in 'General' started by hodge, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

I know this is making national news, don't know about international, unless you get CNN. It's pretty horrible. We live in Minnesota on the other side of the state, but we have friends in the Twin Cities. My stepdaughter's in the Cities, but she and her boyfriend take public transportation everywhere. Our best friend there lives just a couple miles south of the bridge. We've heard from him and he's okay, but he's waiting to hear from everyone else. There are also a lot of people in our town with relatives there. Just kind of bracing myself.

I hope all our members in the Cities are okay?

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Cole

Cole Active Member

I have a cousin that only lives minutes away from that bridge but they were already home by the time it came down. Sending out prayers for all involved
    Cole

4. hodge

I'm glad to hear your cousin's okay, Cole.

5. Monarch

Monarch I'm a VIP Premium Member

scary situation

It is just crazy, I can't believe it, I think I am in a little shock to see the footage. I was on 94 East at that time which runs parallel to 35W and I feel kinda bad because I was bitching about being late for an appt. because of the traffic while people were dying 5 miles away. I am praying that we don't know anyone that was injured or killed and I thank God that the 60 children on that bus were saved. Really, they were 2 feet from a section that went down, it is a miracle! Anyway, my heart goes out to all of those people, I could just see the fear in their eyes and I recognized that fear, it is terrible, just terrible.

6. hodge

I'm glad to hear you're okay, Monarch! That's traumatic - definitely something to deal with with your therapist. Even just seing it on TV. I'm know that might take up some time at my next appt., depending on how I'm doing next week. I'm nervous about many bridges, but I've always felt pretty comfortable on the ones in the Cities.

It is horrible. I'm praying we don't know anyone either. It's bad enough.

7. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

It is a very horrifying accident. All we can do is pray for the families and thank the good lord for saving the school bus. I am amazed it was not worse than it was. I read the story of a woman who fell and had another vehicle on top of her own that she did not even know was there. How do these things happen and you live to talk about it is beyond me. I am sure many are thanking and praying tonight.

8. Monarch

We were down at the site today for a little while, we stopped at a bakery on the way and got 20 sandwiches to give to the emergency workers down there. We were just talking to them and event he people who train for this were shaken by what they had to see. People pinned in their cars and had to hold their hand and talk to them as they were dying, just so hard, I was crying and hugging a few of them, telling them it is all good work. My hubands office is like 3 miles away from the site, it is just going to rock that area for a longtime. Being so close to downtown as well, I talked to 2 people today that were on the bridge within 30 minutes of it collapsing and they were in shock, everyone is still in shock, just checking in with each other and really just fuctioning on the surface. Anyway, pray for them all, all the victims and survivors.

9. hodge

That was so brave of you, Monarch. I've had a terrible headache and feeling like throwing up about all this. We know a friend of a friend who was just about to get on the bridge when it happened, but he was able to back up and get away. I'm praying all right.

10. lrs

lrs Well-Known Member

I can't imagine being on such a bridge, and having it collapse right under you. Monarch that was brave of you. I know it wasn't easy, putting aside your personal feelings, so that you could do something like that to help a person in need.

11. wildfirewildone

wildfirewildone Well-Known Member

:frown: They all will be most certainly in my prayers in the upcoming weeks....The survivers and the rescuers are going to need a lot of counseling and I hope all who need are granted with it without a bunch of red tape!!......PRAYING FOR PEACE

12. Monarch

It was tough, I didn't watch much TV today, it helped that I had alot to do with the kids so we were out and about most of the day. It is messing me up a little, last night i couldn't sleep and I had bad paranoia, I kept hearing noises and getting up to check the house, finally I gave up and just closed my eyes and tried to put it all out of my head. I did sleep, not very well, but I did. Thanks everyone.

13. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

This is so awful :( I am thinking of everyone who lives in Minneapolis or may know someone who lives there and is being affected by this tragedy. I'm not surprised your sleep isn't great Monarch... please take care of yourself through this awful time.

Lisa.