1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Broken Cop - Many Traumas Related to Life and Police Work

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SpecOp27, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpecOp27

SpecOp27 New Member

Hello, my name is George. I am a full time cop working patrol and SWAT in the north east. On 07FEB06 I was involved in a suicide by police. He had a BB gun and I had a 12 GA. I had just come back from my son being born 5 weeks early and almost losing him and my wife during birth. He actually died but they brought him back. He did 3.5 months in Hopkins. When I realized my cheese was sliding off my cracker I asked for help and was really beat up by my agency. With the help of God my family and Martial Arts I got by pretty good.

About six weeks ago my oldest friend and confidant not to mention my mentor died suddenly of a heart attack. Charlie was a retied police LT and a decorated Vietnam Vet.

Right now I have a lot of other issues going on. Grandparents in hospice. Keeping my wife at home to raise our 3 kids, all under 11 yrs and the every day stressors. I just went back to a new trauma doc.

Hope to share and learn here. God Bless-George

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Hi George.

It's nice to meet you. I just joined today myself. I am also in a Martial Art (Judo) lol which presents challenges in itself. (The whole time I am there I'm in a state of panic, but I refuse to give up.) How do you do in the Arts?
    Bec

4. SpecOp27

SpecOp27 New Member

Judo huh, I coach Judo. My daughter is a two time state Champion. I take Yoshin Ryu Ju Jitsu. I have very little problems in the dojo.

5. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

ACK!! I'm sooo envious!

I have that super exagerrated startle response, so everytime someone comes near me with that burst of speed, I run and scream!!! LOL, I've been in it for a year now and I'm still a white belt! My Sensei is very understanding and most of the students, so it's okay. I'm working on it at MY pace and will consider yellow belt to be the ultimate in improvement!! (so would not screaming but I won't hold my breath :crazy-eye

Bec

6. SpecOp27

SpecOp27 New Member

My advice is to always attack the attack. As soon as you see motion towards you attack back.

7. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Welcome SPecOP27, Sounds like a very full plate you have there. I am glad you found this board and hope you find needed support on this journey here; I am sure you experiences will help others also.

8. Farmer

Farmer Active Member

Hi george
    I have 3 relatives on the force( 3 Mounties, 1 city) so I apreciate the sacrifices you people go through every day. I can't emagine being in a suicide by cop situation. Try to remember it was that person who was the instigater not you( your probubly sick of hearing that but it's true). With all the things you guys see every day it takes a special person to do your job.

9. piglet

piglet Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum George!

10. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Welcome George and Bec... glad to have you both here.

George, the good thing here is that you have a good trauma doctor, which is an exceptional thing to have with past trauma. You do have another advantage, being martial arts, because the discipline within it helps to control yourself in a more appropriate manner, as your well aware, which directly helps with trauma and PTSD.

11. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

Hello. Nice you meet you! Uhhh...no martial arts here, but I'm a huge fan of Karate Kid.....hehehe.

12. permban0008

permban0008 Policy Enforcement Banned

Welcome George. Nice to meet you. Wow, my plate is full (getting less so as I let go of some things that I just can't do now - 7 months pregnant) but you have a lot to deal with. I like your analogy about 'the cheese sliding off the cracker'. I don't envy you, full-time cop and SWAT, I considered swapping the military cams for the Australian police at one stage but then decided against it. Glad that guys like you exist however.......we need more of your kind and less of the bas*#@*$ that keep you employed.

The martial arts also interests me, I have been telling Anthony since our first bub was born that I plan on putting him into martial arts as soon as he is old enough. Its the combination of physical and mental discipline that appeals to me. I imagine, if he follows his brothers (15 yrs, approx 6 ft 3 in and has to be pushing 90 odd kilos) footsteps he will be quite a big boy and I would like him to use that size constructively.......not to the detriment of others.

Anyhow welcome, I am sure you will gain plenty from joining this motley crew.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar