• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Can Anxiety Worsen An Injury You Already Have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole0317

Learning
So I just had lateral ligament reconstructive surgery on my foot in February and Still have to go to physical therapy for it. and recently I have noticed that as my panic attacks and anxiety etc... Get worse that leg hurts more to. Is it possible that the anxiety and panic attacks are also making it more painful on my leg too?

I notice how my pains increase with my stress levels too. I've had chronic neck and shoulder pain since childhood. It's where my tension resides. I even sleep all clenched up in the neck and shoulders, it's muscular tension. Interesting connection.

As Lewa says it sounds like muscle tension. If that goes on long enough it can mess you up pretty good.

Absolutely. The muscle tension (and shaking) is yanking on damaged soft & connective tissue...

And then it's also pretty well documented that pain and anxiety create a feedback loop: pain increase anxiety which increases pain OR anxiety increases pain which increases anxiety. In either case? Both pain levels and anxiety levels are higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back