• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Can I Believe To My "body Memories".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope1969

Confident
do you think that body memories indicates exactly what happened? I don't have any memory of the abuse. I have really terrible body sensations and it's hard for to believe that such terrible things happened to me by one of my family members.

Thank you

I think the body remembers exactly, but our interpretations may not be 100% accurate.

But, I would say to trust yourself and your instinct most of all. Bodies just don't make stuff up. Not how it works.

The good thing is that no matter if we remember or not, we can still heal from whatever happened.

Last edited:
I think that our bodies don't lie (make up these things) but I don't think that we always interpret these body memories correctly. I may not be clear-----I mean that mine don't indicate exactly what happened so in that sense mine are perhaps a bit more vague than what others experience.

I think that our bodies don't lie (make up these things) but I don't think that we always interpr...
Hi, My body sensations are very clear. It's the same 2-3 ways of sexual abuse again and again for days. 2 days ago I felt new body sensations that were very clear and very terrible. And I can't believe that someone can do such thing to such a little girl. I hope that I misunderstand the sensations as you wrote :)

What do you mean when you say that you have a vague feeling?

I think the body remembers exactly, but our interpretations may not be 100% accurate.

But, I would...

You are probably right. I am still in the beginig of the process and trying to figure out exactly what happened (at least I admit that it happened ) but in the end of the day the accurate details are less important than the healing. And for the healing there is no need to know All the details.
Thanx!! :)

do you think that body memories indicates exactly what happened?
Yes, with a few caveats. Trauma is held in the body, and a traumatic response that didn't get a chance to release at the time will replay until it is released (once the body decides it is time to communicate with us - a long time can go by before the remembering process begins). The body doesn't invent trauma responses out of nowhere. However, it can take some time to figure out exactly what the body is telling us. I have at least one somatic response that I still don't understand the reason for. Others are clearer. Also, where young children are concerned, it is possible to hold body memories of a trauma that happened to someone else in our presence as if it had happened to us. Doesn't make it any less traumatic, but it does change the story.

it's hard for to believe that such terrible things happened to me by one of my family members
Do you know for sure that family members were involved? Certainly family members are the most frequent abusers, but I'm curious about whether you are sure of this, say, from visual flashbacks or a sense of knowing the person's energy, or whether you are assuming but don't know for sure.

There is a tremendous amount of controversy over the validity of body memories. As horrible as mine were, as much as I did not want to believe them, time after time they proved to be 100% accurate. Too horrible to even be stored in the subconscious, the primitive limbic part of the brain never forgets. The difficulty comes in the disconnect between the way our developing child's mind stored the memories and trying to interpret them with our adult brain.

Yes, with a few caveats. Trauma is held in the body, and a traumatic response that didn't get a cha...
I don't know for sure.

When I was 25 I was surprised to hear that until I was 8 years old I shared a room with my older brother. I remember the house. Have memories from all parts of the house but not my room. My parents described the room but it didn't sound familiar. I thought maybe something happened but decided to close this place in my mind.

8 years ago I went to alternative treatment. After few month I suddenly saw in my meditation 3 pictures of me as a child with that person on me. I was terrified. Started to have body sensations ( the same as today). The therapist was unprofessional and I decided that I am making it up and nothing happened and closed this place again.

A month ago my son told me that his friend in kindergarten touched him (nothing harmful just 4 years old children curious about their body). And the body sensations started again. But this time I have a good therapist that I trust.

So I don't know for sure but have a strong feeling.

And yet who knows....

Last edited:
Have memories from all parts of the house but not my room.
That is a strong clue that something happened in that room. What we don't remember is as important as what we do remember, at the beginning stages of remembering.

After few month I suddenly saw in my meditation 3 pictures of me as a child with that person on me. I was terrified. Started to have body sensations ( the same as today).
That combination of factors does add credibility.

The therapist was unprofessional and I decided that I am making it up
Ouch. Sorry that happened. Good thing you know they were unprofessional and that it wasn't about you. I too have been told (not by anyone who knows what they are talking about) that I have false memories. I don't think so.

So I don't know for sure but have a strong feeling.
I'd go with that if I were you. Actually, what most therapists would say is try to leave the "who" part out of it for the time being (not so easy, I know) and follow the body sensations and see where that takes you. Does your therapist work with the body?

Knowing what happened comes in stages. And good thing, too, can you imagine how overwhelming it would be to remember everything all at once?

Ouch. Sorry that happened. Good thing you know they were unprofessional and that it wasn't about you. I too have been told (not by anyone who knows what they are talking about) that I have false memories. I don't think so.

no, she believed me more than myself. she was just not professional. after 2 months she started to be unpatient and gave me examples of her other clients that moved on after 3 months and found partners and stuff like that. when she told me that some ethnic groups do it more than others it was the end (thank god :-) )

since there was no healthy process and i didn’t want to believe I just closed this place.

Hi, Hope1969!

Our body is related to our brain, and memory. Sensations that we experienced may be misleading, because they are reproduced by our memory. Do you know that feeling when you were bitten by insects such as mosquitoes? And do you remember the pain of it? So when you have it dismissed. You walk down the street and you think that you have been bitten again, but only in a different place, but in fact no bite is in that place. Or, another example, the phantom pains, do you know about such kind of pain? It’s a pain, when a person feels their limb, after he lost it. It hurts and aches, but in fact it’s out. Memory hides a lot of our feelings. It does not give us, for example, to touch the kettle that boiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back