• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Bipolar Can ptsd cause bipolar disorder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all.
I've been diagnosed with PTSD for about 10 years. I've been receiving medical and psych care the entire time. About 6 months ago I was prescribed celexa to help with depression. Last month my dosage was increased. Last night i started seeing things move or things that aren't there But wait there's more, I heard a voice. It freaked me out. I know what I heard. It was not a negative voice, but neutral. I have also starting to have bad sleep patterns as well. I called my psychologist, I'm meeting with him in the morning. He says it sounds like something like sleep deprivation but he wants to examine the possibility of bipolar disorder.
My question is has anyone had PTSD develop bipolar disorder? Or has anyone had a bipolar disorder develop because of celexa or other SSRIs?
Thanks for your time,
Nemo

Yes... People can be comorbid (have both) PTSD & Bipolar Disorder.
Does PTSD cause bipolar disorder? No.
Can medication cause bipolar disorder? No.

To the best of my knowledge the only disorder that bipolar disorder cannot present comorbidly with is it’s sister-disorder ADHD. Called sister-disorders because they share so many symptoms it can often be impossible to distinguish which is present without a med-trial. Whilst the symptoms are often the same, the reaction to medication is 180 degrees different. Stimulants will be soothing to someone with ADHD, yet kick someone with Bipolar into manias and mixed episodes. Conversely moodstabilizers and antipsychotics and antidepressants will be stabilising for someone with bipolar disorder; but cause psychosis, mania, & depression in someone with ADHD.

Also to the best of my knowledge, Bipolar Disorder is still thought to be genetic, ie you’re born with it, but often requires an environmental or physical trigger (such as stress/trauma or puberty/hormones) in order to fully manifest... although it may be fully present from childhood onward, or in retrospect there are often milder symptoms present since childhood.

PTSD is often misdiagnosed as bipolar disorder, which is why you’ll see so many people saying that they thought they were bipolar, but it turned out to be PTSD. Not because they cannot both be present at the same time.

Last edited:
Be careful of being slapped with a bipolar diagnosis if you only have “symptoms” after taking an antidepressant and you had no symptoms without being on that medication.

Some doctors use an adverse reaction to antidepressants as “proof” that you’re bipolar even if you don’t have bipolar symptoms when you are med free.

It’s like telling someone they have major depression simply because smoking pot makes them depressed....and there are no depressive symptoms when not smoking.

Be careful of being slapped with a bipolar diagnosis if you only have “symptoms” after taking...
Yep. This happened to me. I took lexapro for 5 mos for post partum depression.
This is what happened:
Extreme intrusive thoughts
Hallucinations
Constant, constant, extreme suicidal thoughts. Suicidal thoughts even while actually feeling content. It was weird.
I never heard voices, but have heard of people who have on SSRI's.
This drug made post partum depression worse, but I have never felt like that ever.
A really good psychiatrist said the drug made me "manic".
When I was in college I took effexor. I craved alcohol and drank a whole bottle of vodka in a dark bathroom alone. I wracked up 10 k in credit card debt in 5 mos. This was totally out of character. I am not a drinker or a big spender. When I got off of both drugs all symptoms got better, accept with lexapro I had severe withdrawal.
It is like my mind felt possessed and revved up on SSRIs.
So, I would look into that. You didn't just suddenly develop BPD.
Look at the black box warning. These symptoms are there.
I was told by one terrible t that I have "underlying BPD" whatever. That is total bs.
If I do and it comes out only on SSRI's, well then I just won't take SSRI's.

I was diagnosed with Bipolar before being the PTSD came to light. My mother and my sister both have Bipolar too, but I am the only one with the PTSD to my knowledge. I can only go on my own experiences. Since my PTSD is really cPTSD, I probably really had it first, but it came to light at a later date than the Bipolar, because (I think) my mother was already diagnosed Manic-Depressive (what they used to call Bipolar). So that was a lot easier for them to detect. Then there was a summer when I had nothing by ANXIETY MANICS and I was in anxiety almost all the time, panicking and freaking out. I think it was around that time when the PTSD was acknowledged by them. (I was the one that mentioned I thought I might have it).

To the best of my knowledge the only disorder that bipolar disorder cannot present comorbidly with is it’s sister-disorder ADHD. Called sister-disorders because they share so many symptoms it can often be impossible to distinguish which is present without a med-trial.

Humbly :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: @Friday I have read they can both occur, though as you said ADHD can often be mistaken for it. But there are definite differences. Also, Adhd often presents from childhood (for obvious reasons, with the exception of onset post-chemo, etc); Bipolar supposedly most often in adolescence with an average 17 years from that for diagnosis. Very episodic for Bipolar, depressive aspect not atypical, mood does not change with distraction; not linked to Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria; mania includes grandiosity. Etc. Also, heritability for Adhd much higher- 50% vs 7% that a primary relative (parent, sibling) has the same.

I really hesitate to say because you are so much more informed and encouraged me to inform myself, and the source(s) you recommended were where they said this. Idk if that's so but it's from reputable people in that field. :confused: (?) - I think?- Barkley, Dodson, Olivardia, are some.Though they've also said it's the most difficult combination in the world to treat, because just as you said the response(s) to medication- contraindicated for stimulants for Bipolar, too, I believe, for obvious reasons-mania.

I have however read the presence of Adhd may increase the chance of PTSD developing, and I recall posting at some point a link that they were finding stimulants potentially effective for ptsd (think the article was Re: Adderall). Dr. Charles Parker seemed knowledgeable in terms of Ptsd-differences, not specifically in relation to bipolar that I recall, but more so from Adhd.

:notworthy:

ETA, I think it's been said Adhd often gets misdiagnosed for Bipolar because of the difficulties frequently with emotional regulation, a criteria removed from the DSM but many researchers wanting to put back.

Ps- I remember your explanation re: the ptsd vs adhd difference- the pants. :tup: :) Don't remember where it is though. :hilarious:

Last edited:
I swear I think some docs just want something to diagnose.
Yea... two docs tried put me thru testing for biPolar because my emotions can change so fast and my whole presentation appeared to be different.

Both times ruled out.
I then learned there is something called high function depression where the person is able to mask their sadness during tasks in public...and dips into darkness when alone.

I think some docs have a ego and want to stick labels just so they can be like.. i figured him out...when they failed to dig deep and hear us.

This is sort of let's take more pills to counteract the effects of the pills we are already on and these doctors are sometimes prescribing too many pills. They almost killed me with medications and it sounds like you aren't doing that well with your 'care.' I know perhaps you are getting good care and you are being properly diagnosed and medicated but what if you aren't? At least you are questioning it which is good. What if you could cut back some and see if your symptoms decrease (withdrawals can be painful.). I was on bi polar meds it's nothing to be taken lightly. I am not against meds I'm against making people zombies with meds and expecting them to get better or telling them they are doing better. I had to be a zombie for a while I get that too but these drugs scare me and they should. My wife saved me by yelling he's on too many drugs. She chased the doctors away before they killed me. One of my therapists helped her. They got me to sign a release so they could interfere. I was so mad. I hope you feel better.

Wow your wife is awesome.

For me...sometimes the pain is so bad i think back to times where i was zombied and time just passed quickly. Pain seems to slow the spin of earth and every breathe needs effort.

One doc proposed to low dose me on resperidone and another wanted me to try abilify... on top of all the other pills. I said no and that i want to find a natural way. I am glad they respected my choice.

Both those meds are used for bipolar too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back