1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Can Thoughts and Action Change Our Brains?

Discussion in 'News, Politics & Debates' started by anthony, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

For years, scientists believed the brain's structure couldn't be changed. The new science of neuroplasticity says that's not the case, and argue the brain is much more flexible than previously thought. Science writer Sharon Begley talks about her new book, Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7131130...

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. mac

mac Active Member

The brain is an incredible, often misunderstood, organ of the human body.

4. lrs

lrs Well-Known Member

I believe our thoughts and actions can change our wiring, and this can be beneficial or harmfull, depending on what our actions are. I am skeptical that we can actually change, physical alter, or bring about morphological changes in the actual brain structure.

5. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

Anthony- I have been involved in intense study of neuoplasticity. In fact, I have created a form of self therapy based on neroplasticity and Mindfulness. I am convinced this is the right road for me, and have come far. I have used affirmations, posters placed throughout my house, Mindfulness in all areas, and an attack and general reshaping of what I call; addictive neg. thinking.

This site is wonderful-I am not alone, Chris

6. lrs

lrs Well-Known Member

Chris, could you elaborate. What is it you are on to?
    I forgot about this post. I should have elaborated some, it's a very good topic.
    I don't think our brains are static. How could they be? New synampic connections occur with everything we experience. If this did not occur, we would be unable to learn anything a'tall.
    Here is a little more of what I believe, though I COULD be wrong.
    I think most of what we do tends to be left brain oriented. ( I am refering to a right hand dominant person ).
    I have come to believe we work the piss out of our left brain in day to day activity. It becomes highly developed as a result.
    We do not do the same with our right brain. I think that as a result, it is a mass of motor neurons and synaptic connections that are a storehouse of our experiences, emotional memory, but there is hardly any structured thought processes to go along with it.
    I have been intrigued by Dr Roerichs thread pertaining to right and left brain. He provided information which originated from Dr Paul Valent, who stated
    the differences between the two hemispheres. I believe Dr Valent has written that the right hemisphere processes it's information twice as fast as the left hemisphere.
    In the same thread, writings from Dr Frederich Schiffer is given, stating our 2 brains can have seperate identities.
    I think the right brains separate identity might be the result, simply put, of just not using it.
    But the right brain is not static, just as the left brain is not static.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar