• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Canadian Burning of The American Whitehouse 1812 & The US National Anthems Origins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anthony,

I agree that, at least when I was in school, our state, country and world history were taught from white, Euro-centric point of view. Looking at my children's school books, I can see that a lot has changed from when I went through the education system. And a lot still needs to be changed.

I'm married to a man who is Seminole Indian (from his dad's side of the family) and I've learned a lot that wasn't covered in any textbook from his family. That's another thing that needs to be changed. Accepting responsibility for actions (good and bad), telling the truth and setting the record straight. Do I think it's going to happen? Doubtful. At least not in my life time. Maybe in my kid's life the changes that have started will continue and get things right. Who knows?

Listening to a lot people who are older than I am (especially those who've never left the country) have that 'We're #1 and f*ck the rest of the world' attitude. As you know, you learn what you're taught. I learned a lot once I traveled to different countries and when my opinion differs from theirs...oh boy-Katie bar the door!!! LOL

But things do change-just not at quite as quick a pace as some want. And sometimes too fast in the opinions of others.

Once again I'll say...those that win write the history books. And in answer to your question 'does anyone win a war?' IMO-nope...just sets up the parameters for the next one and the next one and so on.

And just for shits and giggles honesty, I've read some pretty snarky comments that you've written about the US that I know are untrue (please don't ask me to quote them because I'll be here all damn night trying to find them! LOL), but it just shows that everyone has their own opinion. A lot of folks I know here think of Australia as Crocodile Dundee, throw another shrimp on the barbie (don't know if that's spelled right) and everyone sits around getting shitfaced on slabs of beer every night. Stereotypes hurt everyone.

Reactions: Nam
When I was at school we were taught about the 1812 war, The War of Independence, The Alamo, American Civil War, the Jacobite Rebellions and William The Conqueror, to name but a few. Scottish Schools cover just about everything in history which is good. Although we got Robert Burns and William Shakespeare rammed down our throats (BORING).
Cheers
Scott:hello:

Marlene, very true words, and yes, I do have a grudge against many Americans and the US for its political stances, however; the thousands of Americans I have dealt with, all have been the same, until I reached those that are here and have PTSD. That has changed my opinion a little, knowing that some people in that country do have their heads screwed on like the rest of the world. I have trained with American soldiers, and I wouldn't piss on them to be honest, as a soldier that is, because their mentality and method of training is dangerous, and if you think more American soldiers get killed because their targeted more... wrong... they get killed because they are the least trained. They are trained to rely on firepower, and firepower alone, and firepower is no match for smarts, tactics and commonsense. Your own country sends their people into situations in which they aren't even qualified to be in. That is not the soliders faults, that is the politicians and military's fault.

The business men and women I have dealt with over the years from the US, not one of them came across to me as a common, decent person. All I received, and I am an extremely good judge of character (that I know), was loud mouthed, full of themselves, money hungry pigs who thought anything outside of America was poverty stricken, dumb and could not match themselves. Not a good impression your commercial sector gives to the rest of the world. Hell, if you have watched Chris Rock in his standup shows, even he says the same things, and he is American. Loves his country, but clearly states what the rest of the world already see's, too much ignorance, to much talk, to much doing the wrong things, instead of the right. I have a huge bug up my arse about America, and it is only the people here, since this forum was created, that are even slightly changing my mind about the country. When you travel outside of the US, you wouldn't find many people who praise the US.

Your right though, it is slow, and progressive, and the US is starting to make slow progress, but hell... they need to start looking in for the next decade and fixing their own shit, instead of looking at what they can steal or invade outside of the US.

Yes, a country can be judged collectively for its political actions, though I will admit I do still judge people individually, and not for the country, race or colour of their skin. That is the difference with me and my opinions on the US.

Added, something else that Chris Rock made an extremely profoud statement with, was that no decent human being could be pro any political party without hearing all the arguments. That rings true with me, because you can't be pro or anti a political body until you have heard and listened to all parties. You are a little this party, a little that party, upon election day, you vote for the party that has the majority of policies that will benefit your country most, not just the party you favour. I really like that statement.

Anthony,

My country has its problems...and what country doesn't? And you're right, we do need to deal with them. People work on that everyday here. I read a quote once that said the human brain does not change quickly except in the presence of trauma. IMO-that's why change for problems is slow. And I agree about voting. I don't belong to a political party...I'm an independant and vote my conscience. Others vote party lines. Freedom of choice-ain't it great?

But know that most people here are just people like everyone else...working, paying bills, raising families, trying to survive/get by and hopefully, get ahead a little bit.

Unfortunately I know several of the business-type people you describe. The mercenary, money is everything and get it at any cost mentality is something I find personally repugnant. Just know that they are not representative of most of us.

Glad to hear you've still got an open mind towards new people. I've traveled to different countries, met a number of people from a lot of different countries here in the states and I've found one universal truth...people (not governments, not politicians) are the same. And we all have the same needs that we want met.

BTW-bug up your butt???? Never noticed. LOL :wink:

I, too, am an independent. Voting for me is like picking the lesser of the two evils. It's so hard to decipher a person's character when it's in front of the camera all the time. Unfortunately, as of late, we've had some crooked people holding the highest power in the country. But, I'm not a politician. In fact, I dislike politics.

There are definitely some very arrogant people here. I agree. But I also believe they are everywhere. There are also some very compassionate, loving people here too, as I'm sure there are in every country. I'm glad, Anthony, that we are slowly changing your opinion of some of us "Americans". (saying it with an Australian accent...lol).

I think, too, that often, people hold an opinion of the people of the US from American television. The television shows and movies that Americans make are not a good sample of what the people and life is like in the states. When my husband was in New Zealand, the people there could not believe that he was actually from a farm. They thought that from coast to coast, it was all city and commerce, or that people only lived in the cities. It was very hard on him to try to convince them that he was not a part of the stereotype they stamped on him. It's hard to stand up for yourself when someone is accusing you of arrogance. How am I to stand up for myself with out coming across as arrogant?

I have an interesting perspective in the fact that I live among most white people here that have not moved out of state, let alone out of the country. They assume that I am not an American. I've had people talk extra loud to me because they think I don't understand what they are saying. (Like talking louder will help! LOL) It isn't until I speak that they realize that I have a midwestern accent; Northern Iowa/Southern Minnesotan accent to be exact. People here still think that I should be great at science and play the violin or cello; which I am terrible at science and don't play an instrument at all. It's hard to break down stereotypes such as these. I'm only one person. The Asian population here is only 0.08 percent. That number is getting better. I think, with more diversity of people and backgrounds, we will come to accept each other better.

I've been following this thread like a hawk. I was trying to decipher the point of the thread. Is it a history lesson? Is it a lecture? Is it a debate? I was also amazed at the hostility toward others especially americans. I don't hate any country. I have a severe dislike for the countries that practice mass genocide (as I think all people should....) I am just me, a mother raising her children in a safe place. I just so happen to live here. Instead of judging a person according to where they are from, try to judge people individually as who they are. That, then, would be an informed opinion.

geez, anthony, you must have gotten to know only the rotten ones! there are a lot of good people in this country, as any other, not all gov. are good, some are awful. i feel like ours is pretty good, if people would interpret the constitution properly and quit trying to bend it to suit themselves. There are 2 "businessmen" in our congregation, both are hard workers, and give of themselves, and their resources. not only to the church, but to a lot of worthy causes. they are very generous, humble people. the earth is populated with people, some good, some not, but people themselves have carved out the countries, and cities, and etc. if you remove them, you still have the same people, regardless of race, language, laws, religion, etc.
i hate to tell you, but you are a people too! (a good one at that)
cathy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back