• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Can't Fall Asleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iyllsa

Confident
I wasn't sure if I should put this here or under anxiety.. but anyways. I noticed that for some time now I'd be getting more anxious or nervous easily and at random times. I could be sitting in my room with no obvious stressor and I will all of a sudden feel my heart rate increase.

I think it's starting to affect my sleep now. Last night when I tried sleeping, right when I was about to fall asleep it would feel like I had to take deeper, faster breaths and I'd immediately wake up, catch my breath, then repeat. I couldn't sleep at all.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I wasn't sure if I should put this here or under anxiety.. but anyways. I noticed that for some time now...

Don't worry im dealing with the same problem it takes me roughly 1-2 hours to fall asleep and now i started to take malatonin to get to sleep it takes about 30- 45 minutes to kick in and it helps relaxing the body. I'm always tense and on guard because I have Civilian PTSD and but at night i will take the malatonin to help me go to sleep and it is the best feeling you feel so relivied of the tenseness and the on guard feeling.

I wasn't sure if I should put this here or under anxiety..

Holy crap, I was just about to post a thread that started with this sentence with the exact same issue.

I have been having a REAL hard time going to sleep over the last week or so. I take muscle relaxers and xanax to help me sleep (a half a A muscle relaxer usually) and that usually puts me out but its a half of this another another half of that an hour later and then another hour another of this and that. Last night at 4am I just said "f*ck it" and got up to train my dog.

I am sitting here and just trembling, for no reason what so ever. My blood oxygen is low for so far an unknown medical reason so that explains the shortness of breath but my anxiety is just so high for no reason. I also take 200mg Seriquel XR (extended release) whoch normally picks up most of my anxiety so why its back this bad and why now I don't know.

I have deep breathed and imagine myself some place calm and already picked back up the DBT book - ETA: And ask my service dog in training for DPT every night - so I am lost of what to do.

I'm sorry if I hijacked your thread. I'll shut up now and just read and hopefully gain some help from it. Just wanted you to know that nope, you aren't alone.

ETA: Adding that I ask for my SDIT to do DPT gave me an idea for yourself. DPT is deep pressure therapy. It is a massive releif of anxiety for me. People have made many threads about weighted blankets and most likely for the same reason, pressure seems to help a ton. Maybe try a weighted blanket?

Holy crap, I was just about to post a thread that started with this sentence with the exact s...

I actually am a service dog trainer(along with other types of dogs) and have used DPT as well with my own service dog. It does help but only so much. If it's caught on early then it does, but late at night where it feels like it hits the peak, it takes a lot longer to calm down and harder to stay grounded.

I've found sometimes grooming the dog can help some handlers. It doesn't help me, personally, when in the middle of a panic attack but it can help when I'm feeling just a wee bit anxious or uncomfortable.

free floating anxiety is the term they use to describe what you are experiencing

Most recomm. relaxation techniques, mindfulness, meditation, breathing tech., etc... for that kind of thing.

It sucks doesn't it?! :(

Take care @Iyllsa :hug:

Ahh I didn't know there was a name for it. Thank you for telling me! I have been diagnosed with Panic Disorder, not Generalized Anxiety Disorder, so I'm not sure. It might be due to my Panic Disorder? Or maybe I had a nightmare that I didn't remember and woke up panicked..? I didn't get a chance to speak with my therapist but hopefully this time around things will work out.. I really need a session.

I have PTSD i have been diagnosed with it by 2 people 1st one was by my counseling therapist and the other was a psychologist that works for the government.

I'm fairly certain PTSD and panic/anxiety go hand in hand for most of us in these parts. :confused:

I am diagnosed with PTSD, but also diagnosed with GAD (General Anxiety Disorder) and Panic Disorder. While the latter two came before, I haven't seen them magically disappear on any recorders from it being overridden by PTSD or anything. Like all diagnosed illnesses, they're just a means of grouping certain symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back