1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Caretaking Overload!

Discussion in 'Social' started by hodge, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

Our dog Misha had eye surgery last month to remove some normal old dog eye tumors. But she's had a very rough time recovering. She was on triple antibiotic eye ointment in her poor eyes four times a day till a couple weeks ago. Then the vet started us on giving her Cipro eye drops four times a day. So we've been doing this. I've also been preparing special food for her since she's lost weight and needs to regain her strength. She's showing signs of recovering her strength, but she's still squinting a bit, and the damn drops sting so much every time we do them...it pains my husband and me. I'm afraid that even this strong antibiotic is not doing the trick, since her one eye is still pretty bloodshot. We're getting her back in to see the vet on the 20th. I'm so sick about this. It doesn't help that I'm going through med transitions (see other thread, if you want) - blah.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

I am sorry your precious pet is having a difficult time Hodge. It is definitely a worry. Chairman Meow, my cat who has "adopted" Evie, is quite old as well, and lately he has been losing weight. The vet could not find anything wrong particularly except that he is simply aging. I am a bit worried myself as for Evie's sake I would like him to hang on for a couple of years longer. She's become quite fond of him. He is fond of her as well and has become quite depressed and needy since she's gone to hospital. He is currently a lump under the covers in her bed, and remains there most of the time. I am feeding him baby food, pablum and cream on top of his regular food and treats, to assist him to gain weight, as per the vet's instructions.

4. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc I'm a VIP

Kathy

If I may be so bold as to try to advise you on the health of your old cat, I am going to! ! ! I include Hodge's dog in this too

Most important is to end an old wives tale that cats love milk &/or cream. Don't do it. Cats are lactose intolerant. Dairy products for cows give the cats diahhrea. If you want to help your guy out give him Evaporated Goats Milk. Not only is it a universal milk for all animals it is extremely nutrisious. I have raised literally hundreds of orphan kittens on the goats milk and the thrive 10 times better on it than anything else around.

I am so sorry your guy is not doing well. They do grieve the lose of a loved one, even if that person is just away for a while. I hope Evie is doing ok. I also learned another trick that works sometimes.

Get Evie to wear a clean tshirt to sleep in, is possible, over night then give it to the cat. I does help.

I am not a trained vet tech or anything. These are things I have learned after 10 years of sheltering orphan newborn kittens thru a local rescue group with vet advise. And so of this was learned through trial and error but they DO WORK!

And Hodge. Try the goats milk for your Misha. It will not hurt her and is full of massive amounts of protein and fat. Goats Milk can be given to any aminal. It smells like sh-- but sure is good for them

Anyways guys, hope this helps. Having a pet ill or injured is very stressfull. Take care and my prayers are with you HERC

5. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

Thank you for the advise Herc, I did know about the cows milk. What we feed our cats is the cream skimmed off fresh goat's milk, as we raise dairy goats here on our farm. I will definitely try the t-shirt trick though thank you. Chairman Meow is still depressed at Evie's absense, and she will be gone for a few more days.

6. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

Thanks, Herc. I didn't know about evaporated goat's milk. I'll have to check on that. Oh, and you are right - the t-shirt thing helps a lot!

Kathy, I'm sorry Chairman Meow is experiencing old-cat problems and missing Evie. Has the Chairman been checked for hyperthyroid? It's a very common old-cat problem, causing lost weight and drinking lots of water.

I'm going to ask our vet about the baby food, too. Because our Hank has hyperthyroid and kidney failure, we have to limit his protein intake.

7. 2quilt

2quilt I'm a VIP

Thanks for the advice on the goats milk and the teeshirt too! I didn't know that.

I can also give my two cents on dog and cat food that can be high in nutrition, and the best part is, you know where it came from:
    Steam a small amount of chicken on the stove without any seasoning whatsoever, separate from what you cook for your own meals. Save that Chicken broth from the steam in the bottom of the pot. Steam some peas, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower separate from your own food, again without any seasonings. Cook a small amount of brown rice, either with just water or with chicken broth, but with no other seasonings. You are going to make homemade pet food. It's human grade, high in nutrition, high in fiber. Remove the Chicken skin and discard. Shread the chicken meat with your fingers really fine, especially for cats. Or you can spin it all in the Cuisinart. Mash it all together, but keep the ratio of meat to veggies so that it is mostly meat, and if you think your pet would like it more liquidy, add more chicken broth from what you saved from the steam pot. Keep the homemade petfood in the fridge for several days until they refuse it, they make a new batch.

8. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc I'm a VIP

Hey guys, before you start giving baby food to your cats know that they contain onion and garlic powder, both of which are very harmful to cats. The safest one to give is Beechnut baby chicken--stage one. It is added to the goats milk when the orphans get about 2 weeks old. It is So Full of protein the kittens thrive on it. Adult cats love is too and is a good source of nutrition for an older cats

Kathy how cool you raise goats. How many do you have? Hope my info helps HERC

9. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

We have 14 goats at the moment, as well as several sheep and 2 horses recently rescued from the SPCA. Also geese, turkeys, a dog and of course our 3 cats. We love our goats, goats are highly intelligent and surprisingly endearing as pets.