• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Cathartic Panic Attack??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taina

New Here
Hi, I'm new to the site.

I've had many panicked panick attacks. But last night, working on a particularly traumatic memory during self administered emdr, I had a positive break through about the events. Or shall we say bittersweet. But it was positive in as much as it got me one step closer to the truth I've been hidding from emotionally. But it was overwhelming... I started gasping for air, deep breaths, my heart racing...I was having a panic attack. But this one, rather than seeming panicked felt... Good? I lay on my side in a butterfly hug as I normally have to, to calm down, and went to sleep. Happy.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Yeah, I had a similar experience at the beginning of this month. I was told because of this I am making progress and now taking the fear out of my physical symptoms and panic attacks and that is the beginning of recovering from them!
Well done to you for your encouraging break through, it definitely takes courage and you sound like you had it :tup:

I started experiencing them not long after starting EMDR therapy. They were frightening at first because of their intensity, but they were also different in that there was a slight distance from which I was observing them (not to be confused with dissociating), but instead a sort of mental awareness of what was going on and how it was different from a normal, run of the mill panic attack. I described it to my therapist as it feeling like a purge of sorts. Like my body was releasing something it had been holding onto for a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back