• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Cbd oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.

EveHarrington

MyPTSD Pro
Hi,
I have the opportunity to try CBD oil in the next few weeks. My question is regarding interactions with other meds. Do other people start taking it when they aren't taking anything else? I am on one daily med, but it is a very small dose (half of the smallest size capsule, I get it compounded in order to get such a small dose accurately)....point being, when someone tapers off my med, they do the final "jump" from twice the dose I'm taking.....although I do realize I could potentially taper down (given its in liquid form) or take my doses less than daily. (It is one of those drugs that has immediate effects and build up effects....I take it only for the immediate effects....it also has a short half life which is why most people do multiple doses throughout the day.....hence, out of my system more quickly than other drugs.)

Just curious as to what other people do.....If I decide to put off trying it for now, I'll have another opportunity in a few months. Just not sure if I'm ok to try it now, or if waiting is the best option. Trying to weigh all of my options.

Thanks.

The direction I was given re CBD was to continue taking regular drugs with the thought of scaling the pharma drugs down and going off of them as the CBD kicks in. CBD stays in the system, so the effects accumulate. And the thought is to go 'low and slow' when starting on the CBD.

Have you checked online for interactions between the drug(s) you are on and CBD?

The direction I was given re CBD was to continue taking regular drugs with the thought of scaling the...

I haven't found any drug interactions....

However, my doc has had a looooing discussion with me about piggyback effects of sedation as I'm on a number of meds that cause sedation, so that is something I need to watch out for.

I have tried the CBD ointment three times now. The first time I felt nothing. The second time I tried more and was soooo drowsy. The third time, the same. I realize dosing is going to be difficult with the ointment.....but it did help my anxiety. I may try the oil at some point, but the company sent the 80% instead of the 40%.

piggyback effects of sedation
I microdose for just this reason. I also balance out the sedative effects by making sure I have some sativa available. Indica strains tend to have a sedative effect while sativa's give more energy.

This article may be helpful in understanding the differences between the two:
Indica vs. Sativa: What's The Difference? - Leaf Science

Leafly is a good source of information re differing strains. And yes, edibles and creams are very difficult to determine actual dosages with.

Ever since you have posted this I am looking into it.
The options where I live are overwhelming.
I cannot take psych meds, so always on the look out for something that can help with anxiety and insomnia (non psychoactive).
I like that this does not target Gabba as I have to let these receptors heal after my klonopin withdrawal.
I read a study that said a little CBD can be stimulating and a lot can be sedating.
I would want to take only a little at first, so don't know how that will work.
I can walk in and buy capsules, but for other forms it has to be ordered (like honey drops).
Thanks for posting about this, it had never occured to me.
I am going to talk to my doctor about this, but all the research is so recent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried the oil and I am not a fan. @shimmerz mention of Sativa vs Indica could be why.
I get the oil cartridges and I don’t like the way they make me feel. It throws off my balance and makes me way too hungry which leads to binge eating. I think it stays in my system longer or affects my system differently than the bud which stinks.
The right bud and with very little, I feel calm & relaxed but I can still focus to get things done.
I also prefer it to pain or anxiety meds like any opioid deritives or stuff like Valium. Even extra strength aspirin or Tylenol affects my stomach.
My problem is legality, while I don’t abuse it, I am not eligible because of work since it is legal state by state and not a federal law.
I am a long time smoker but I am not a daily user nor do I need excess. In this day and age I have learned to be very careful. There are hybrids that are very, very strong and the smallest hit is all it takes.
I wish I could get it legal. I certainly meet the criteria.
I could then know exactly what I getting and have options that are just not available on the street.
I’m talking too much! Gotta go.

Alice

WORD OF WARNING!

Seriously.

The CBD balm interacted horribly with my existing antipsychotic. I’m on a tiiiiiny dose, too, and get it compounded into a liquid so that I can take such a small dose.

Let’s just say I could have gone into respiratory failure. Yeah, it was THAT bad, and no, I did not use a ton of the balm, either. My breathing was very erratic, with very spaced out breaths, and deep ones where I was almost shuddering.

It’s horrible when you’re anxious and use this stuff for relief and then have problems breathing but you’re so upset that you don’t care if you don’t wake up.

I was at my ex’s place at the time. He didn’t notice. I didn’t tell him as I knew that he’d haul my ass to the ER, the LAST thing I wanted! I still haven’t told him the truth, and probably won’t ever. He’d feel so guilty as he bought the balm for me.

I had a second round of bad drug interactions with the CBD balm last weekend, this time with Ativan. I had anxiety rebound effects from hell.

Please don’t worry, this stuff is going in the trash and I won’t re-buy unless I’m prescription drug free.

I say this as a word of warning. My doctor warned me about piggyback sedation effects. I’m already on 3+ sedating meds. Boy, he wasn’t kidding!!!

Last edited:
So I tried CBD honey and it caused insomnia.
I am not on any other drugs.
I know it helps people, but when it was in my system I just felt derealization and disassociation and this caused anxiety and then I had insomnia.
Cross that off the list of things that can help me.

Important to remember that CBD products aren’t regulated, and so (unfortunately) you don’t always know what you are getting. It also might not be consistent.

There’s a lab that developed a true CBD isolate, that is replicable (and can be manufactured). It’s in trials now, but all prior trials indicate it is very promising. (For certain forms of epilepsy). I need to catch up with where they are in the process....it’s just worth watching for, since it will be exactly what they say it is (instead of something that could be tainted with trace THC or other compounds).

Glad you’re ok, @EveHarrington.

Important to remember that CBD products aren’t regulated, and so (unfortunately) you don’t always know what you are getting. It also might not be consistent.

There's a definite issue here with how manufacturers produce the product, and now there are so many suppliers, using different plant strains and methods of extraction, there's no way to ensure consistency and effect. I make my own, same strain, same method every time, so I know it's effect and dosage.

My understanding is that all cannabis plants contain THC:CBD in varying proportions depending on the strain - from the bud you buy on the street with very high THC content and below 1% CBD, to the medicinal varieties with CBD content above 1%, which has an entourage effect, alleviating any adverse effects from the THC.

The plant manufactures cannabinoids in acid form - THCA, CBDA, etc, which need to be heated (decarboxylised) to have the expected effects; THC being psychoactive, CBD relaxing the body, other cannabinoids adding 'flavour' to the experience. They work by travelling through the bloodstream and attaching to Cb1 (located in the central nervous system and brain) and Cb2 receptors (in the organs and tissues of the body).

If the oil/tincture manufacturing process involves heating the plant material, causing decarboxylation, it will have the same effect as edibles, vaping and smoking, and get you stoned and/or drowsy.
If the cannabinoids are extracted from unheated, raw material, then the cannabinoid acids are digested, broken down in the liver and passed on to where they are needed, having a very different effect.

There are many recipies and methods available with a google search - the tincture I make involves drying the plant at room temperature, grinding it up, and dropping 3.5g into 250ml of isopropyl alcohol. I leave that in a cool, dark place for a month, filter out the solids, and have a use-when-needed consistent anxiolytic I microdose with until I'm calm.. it also alleviates depression, to an extent, though I find vaping, for the THC effect, more beneficial.

All that said, and while MMJ is very effective for many, it does require some experimentation, and it is not for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
THC being psychoactive, CBD relaxing the body, other cannabinoids adding 'flavour' to the experience.
Sort of. CBD does it’s own thing, as you said - and part of its job is mitigating the psychoactive properties of the THC.

GW pharmaceuticals is the one testing a pure isolate of CBD right now. Utterly non-psychoactive. I do think it will be a game changer. Here’s a decent article; the whole series sounds interesting, actually: http://www.denverpost.com/2017/10/0...is-pharma-firms-boon-the-hemp-industrys-doom/

There are many recipies and methods available with a google search - the tincture I make involves drying the plant at room temperature, grinding it up, and dropping 3.5g into 250ml of isopropyl alcohol. I leave that in a cool, dark place for a month, filter out the solids, and have a use-when-needed consistent anxiolytic I microdose with until I'm calm.. it also alleviates depression, to an extent, though I find vaping, for the THC effect, more beneficial.

All that said, and while MMJ is very effective for many, it does require some experimentation, and it is not for everyone.

I would love to learn how to make my own! I've recently been trying to find a good, economical source but it seems you get what you pay for. Some I've used cost twice as much as another but it helps in so many ways the cheaper product fails to help with. The consistency of buying dried leaves and making my own is enticing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back