• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Changed Thyroid Med Dosage And My Symptoms Are Worse. Anyone Else Experience This?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mim28

Not Active
My doctor recently lowered my thyroid medication because it was too high. My body was already on overdrive and majorly stressed and now I have bottomed out physically and emotionally. Has anyone ever experienced this? I think the two might be related, but I think I have done some long term damage to myself. Help please.

I think you should call your doctor and let him or her know how you're feeling. Like first thing in the morning.

Before my first therapist post-PTSD diagnosed me, she insisted I get my thyroid checked, as the symptoms can overlap. I did and it was okay, but there's lots of diabetes type 1 in my family and my mom always had an overactive thyroid as well and eventually had to get it zapped. I hope you don't have to, but it's better than the alternative. Just try to hang in there tonight and call your doctor first thing in the morning. :hug:s

I have been suffering from under-active thyroid since I was 15 because of eating disorders. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 20. I was first diagnosed with depression at the age of 16 and I know that I had it earlier on but didn't know what it was. My thyroid was always borderline hypothyroidism but it started getting worse as I started to get into my early 20's. I was getting more depressed and antidepressants didn't work. My doctor prescribed me levo-thyroxine and it saved me.

My depression was never cured and still isn't. I was worse 3 years ago when PTSD symptoms along with depression started. After getting the blood tests done, it was discovered that my TSH levels were way too high and my hypothyroidism was way above the borderline stage. This time, none of the antidepressants worked until I was re-introduced to levo-thyroxine. After 6 weeks of taking the thyroid med and antidepressants, my depression symptoms started to slow down.

I have done research on this and it has been discovered that once your thyroid is affected it needs to be maintained at the right levels or else you'll suffer from depression and other health issues. In order to help you with your physical (weight gain, cold hands and feet, panic attacks, hair falling, low metabolism, low energy) and mental health, you may need to take medication for thyroid for the rest of your life. I have been taking the med for over 18 months now and I'm a lot better than I was 18 months ago.

Also get your doctor to check your Thyroid antibodies. You may also have Hashimoto's autoimmune disease.

This is from my personal experience.

I think you should call your doctor and let him or her know how you're feeling. Like first thing in the mo...
Thanks hodge. I spoke with him the other day. Changing dosages can alway affect mood. It was bad timing.

I have been suffering from under-active thyroid since I was 15 because of eating disorders. I wasn't...
I was diagnosed 9 years ago and have been on the same dosage since theyregulated it a few months after. This decrease in dose along with a year and a half of extreme stress has caused me to crash.

I have been suffering from under-active thyroid since I was 15 because of eating disorders. I wasn't...
Thanks. Yes I have Hashimotos. I'm guessing this is just a piece of what is affecting me but I want to keep all the pieces balanced. Or try to get there one day.

Well, you need ensure your stress levels are under control. If your stress levels are high then don't expect your thyroid to get any better. If thyroid is very underactive then don't expect your stress, anxiety or depression to go away. It's a vicious cycle where stress /depression is affected by thyroid dysfunction and vice versa. There is no winning unless you start looking after yourself and managing your life and be self compassionate. It all comes from within. When my anxiety/depression /negative experiences are high, my TSH levels are affected directory. So watch out for symptoms.

Well, you need ensure your stress levels are under control. If your stress levels are high then don'...
Thank you. My tsh was very low so dosage was lowered. I was already beyond stressed. I am working on self compassion but I'm feeling stressed to get better. I appreciate your insight.

You're welcome. I know how difficult it is to manage stress and anxiety. So all we can do is be kind to ourselves and I have "trouble" doing that.

I hope you get well and feel better about yourself soon :hug:s.

Update: New doc and new diagnosis!
At the urging of a friend, I decided to see her medical/holistic doctor. The new doctor ordered many tests I've never heard of before, but I had the bloodwork done. I've long suspected Adrenal Exhaustion and that my thyroid medicine wasn't working properly. I didn't get my hopes up as my primary always says my labs are fine.
I saw the new doc today and she confirmed everything I've been suspecting for several years. I cried. She explained that the adrenals support the thyroid and thyroid, as many know, controls the whole body. Thyroid problems overlap with depression and anxiety. I was so happy, I cried. Finally someone confirmed what I suspected all along. She told me to trust my intuition. No one knows my body better than me.

Sadly, when I got home there was a message from my primary saying all my bloodwork was fine. How can there be such discrepancies?

When you are diagnosed with PTSD, anxiety and or depression, your complaints are sometimes overlooked. It's all in your head they say. You start to doubt yourself. Never doubt yourself. Trust your gut. we are dealing with enough. Do the homework on your mental health as well as your physical health.
I start the new meds tomorrow and I am more hopeful than I have been in a long time. I pray this is the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back