1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chemical Night Sweats

Discussion in 'Sleep & Nightmares' started by Comatoze, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Comatoze

Comatoze New Member

I did read the thread http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread9956.html and i'm thinking that this experience is not that uncommon...

Most nights i'll wake up several times drenched in sweat. The strange thing is, though, it doesn't smell like normal sweat or BO or anything, it has a really peculiar odor, like some disgusting inhuman chemical. It almost smells like something out of my chemistry classes in school. So i'm wondering, is this typical of PTSD night sweats?

What do your night sweats smell like?

If this is abnormal for PTSD sufferers as well, i'm wondering if it's a symptom of some other medical condition..

Most of the time i do remember what i was dreaming about when it happens, usually it's not an all-out-nightmare (although i guess it depends on how you define nightmare), but usually involves some horribly stressful situation that i can't get out of.

I also read somewhere that night sweats are the release of an over-production of stress hormones, does anyone know anything about this?

Also, the amount of sweat being produced is so much, that i have to think, where is it all coming from? Am i unbalancing anything in my body by sweating so much (eg. losing salt or hormones). Or is the sweating a symptom of an already unbalanced system?
  2. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc VIP Member

As someone with night sweats, I can say you must be aware to not become dehydrated. It is ease to do if you are not careful, so be sure to drink lots of water during the day. I keep a big glass of water by my bed for the night time thirst.

As far as the "sweat smell" never paid any attention, but I certainly will now.
    I just always assumed this was a female issue. So, apparently, it is not.

Food for thought!?!
  3. Marine0311

Marine0311 New Member

Night Sweats every night. Stinks bad, and I'm a Marine. Stink is something I am use to. Been Months without a shower before no biggy. Do they have Sponge Pillows, so I can just ring it out after I wake up ?
  4. Gunchief

Gunchief New Member

Had real bad night sweats for about a year after I got. never noticed any odor.
  5. 2quilt

2quilt New Member

Well, it's not menopause...
    Mina likes this.
  6. Cate

Cate New Member

Yep. Me too. I had undiagnosed ptsd for a few years and could go a week without sleep, literally. It's not fun going to work when you haven't slept for seven nights and you're jacked up on over the counter sleeping pills. When I finally did sleep I would have to wake up in the middle of the night to change my sheets. The sweat does smell different to me...kind of sour...maybe a little bit like vinegar. I could never put my finger on it.

I'm in some pretty serious ptsd treatment now and I'm sleeping like a baby. I love it. Hang in there, it does get better.

Cate
  7. Junebug

Junebug VIP Member

I can get them, terribly. No odor, just soaked when I do, though. Horrid thing. Makes you feel (physically) totally drained.

that explanation makes sense to me.
    Or also, when you feel sick.