• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Childhood Psychological Abuse As Harmful As Sexual Or Physical Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

myptsd

MyPTSD Pro
Children who are emotionally abused and neglected face similar and sometimes worse mental health problems as children who are physically or sexually abused, yet psychological abuse is rarely addressed in prevention programs or in treating victims, according to a new study.

[DLMURL="http://feeds.sciencedaily.com/~r/sciencedaily/mind_brain/ptsd/~3/SWhqAE1cfE0/141008131200.htm"]Continue reading...[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. Especially for young kiddos, so much is involved in "safety" and their total dependence on their caretakers. I'll probably never figure out if early near-death trauma was actually more harmful than terrorizing or hiding from my source of care (and protection?). Based on how my siblings turned out, I just figure it all plays off each other and I never felt safe. I wonder if sexual abuse happens outside the family, but the family is safe...that would certainly be a better outcome than coming from within the family. But any abuse with added terror is impossible for children. They NEED their caretakers for their lives. And to be scared of them but also naturally want a connection...what kind of mess that creates for future relationships, sense of self, resiliency....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back