1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Childhood Symptoms - Fainting Under Stress

Discussion in 'General' started by Grama-Herc, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc I'm a VIP

According to my mother, when I was a child if I was under real stress or fear I would FAINT! ! Is it me, or is this just not normal for a child? My other real problem solver, so to speak, was to vomit. Any pressure or stress and thar she blows! ! I well any help with this one guys PLEASE

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Marilyn_S

Marilyn_S Well-Known Member

Herc,

This sounds more like a physical problem if it occured during childhood. When I was little, I had severe anemia. I fainted alot and had problems with naseau. It could have been a physical problem that would grow worse if placed under stress. I have worked several years with kids of all ages and most of the children even if from foster homes were pretty resilliant mentally. Most of their symptomology would surface as reactive attachment or oppositional defiance rather than the typical more adult like psychosomatic symptoms. I don't know if this helps any but I understand your concerns, especially if you are working to sort out memories or lack there of. Best wishes to you.

LOVE & CARE
    Marilyn S.

4. 9Lives

9Lives Active Member

well, I don't know. I used to faint a lot when I was a kid & undergoing physical & sexual abuse. So I guess I wonder if it's a childhood symptom too. Maybe like trying to "escape" mentally.

5. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Sorry Marilyn but I disagree.

I fainted all the time as a child (it's very well documented also) and so does my son. It's a pretty good indication that PTSD is kicked in. I know with my son that when his anxiety hits the highest it can get he faints. He has since he was seven. I know that I was fainting from around age six or seven and I still do today if really stressed.

It's not normal for a child, but it's completely normal for a child with PTSD.

bec

6. Sapper

Sapper Active Member

I agree with becvan, I wouldn't say it's normal for a kid either, unless they were under undue stress or had PTSD as stated. I grew up with 3 siblings, several cousins, and have 4 children of my own, none of whom have been traumatized. I don't recall any of my siblings or children fainting.

7. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc I'm a VIP

Well I must say that you guys have open MY eyes to a possible time line when my PTSD might have started. Still no reason, but at leaat I know that what ever happened to me happened when I was very young. Guess it's time to question Mom again I can't thank you guys enough for the help