1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Chomping - Gritting Teeth, Grinding Teeth

Discussion in 'General' started by Portabella, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Portabella

Portabella Well-Known Member

Does anyone else have a problem with Chomping? I grit my teeth in my sleep, I am sure this is the case for alot of folks. But, during my awake time I chomp, I clench my teeth and tighten my jaw. I can do this 1000 times a day, I get headaches from it at times. Is this PTSD related or just from stress? Its funny because you would not even be able to tell I am doing it unless you look at the sides of my jaw or my temples.

Rain likes this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

I would say both as stress is a very normal thing for PTSD. Hell, I think it is a good bulk. Relaxation exercises like meditating may help you be more aware of what you are doing so you can control the daytime clenching.

Lina likes this.
  4. goingonhope

goingonhope Member Premium Member

Couldn't say for sure, but I think Prozac and certain other anti-depressants, can cause muscle tightness and what you're describing. I don't even know if you take such medicines, but if you do maybe you could mention it to the prescribing doctor, bc clenching your teeth this many times a day may cause or be causing you other problems, like tension headaches, or such. It's worth finding out.

5. Borderline

Borderline Member

I do this day and night, stress of any type can cause it. I find when I am driving I have to remind myself not to clench my teeth, I dont even notice I am doing it.
    Best to try and stop or control it, as it can do a lot of damage.
    I am not looking forward to this afternoon as I have a 4hr appointment at the dental hospital to have repairs done to my worn/damaged teeth.

G

6. sheree71

sheree71 Member

Yep. I'm another one. Sometimes I'm not aware that I'm doing it. I have mentally make an effort to relax my jaw. I have problems with my back teeth because of it.

7. slhlilbit

slhlilbit Active Member

I dont know if it is ptsd related but i do that too. My teeth are falling apart and i only have a few of my own on the bottem i have to wear my top plate to keep from teaing up my gums. :frown:

8. Marilyn_S

Marilyn_S Well-Known Member

Hi! Folks,

I know a little about this. The following is a list of stuff that can cause teeth grinding, Oh! by the way, I grind too. I've replaced some of it with relaxing and easy to say small two word statements I repeat over and over until the activity of my jaws are redirected to a more relaxing activity, such as singing, talking, or just resting. Looks a little weird driving down the road but who really gives a flip.

1. TMJ (don't ask me what that stands for cause I don't remember) but it is a misalignment of the jaw bone that causes it to pop when chewing. It causes grinding as the muscles natural tendency to want to properly align the jaw bones) Usually an orthadontist can realign the jaw with an appliance.

2. Teeth grinding can also be related to sleep apnea (hope that's spelled right) This is when the muscles in the back of your throat over relax and you actually stop breathing. This usually only occurs during deep sleep. Which if your like me ya don't get a lot of that. Not sure exactly why it causes teeth grinding but neither do the docs if I'm not mistaken.

3. Another thing that can cause teeth grinding is an exagerated overbite. this doesn't necesarily mean that the jaw is misaligned, sometimes people just have bigger top teeth than bottom teeth, or they may be uneven and thus grow over the bottom teeth.

Jimminy Christmas! I sound like a cottin' Pickin' dentist! Sorry if any of you all are dentists but I don't really like dentists too well! No offense!

Oh! by the way, being a psych person and having my bull sh*t degree in psych. I remember reading stuff about all these things and as you might guess, they are all stress related. Guess that's why they call it Post Traumatic STRESS Disorder. lol!
    Take care all!
    Marilyn

9. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

ya, another voice in the chorus, here.
    cathy

SweetPeaandSunBird likes this.
  10. GR-ass

GR-ass Well-Known Member

I grind my teeth when I sleep. I have also noticed I grind when I am awake too *rolls eyes*
    Leaves jaw aching and I always end up with headaches that I can't get rid of.

Am pretty sure it is PTSD related (or a side affect of antidepressents)

cass

11. per aspera ad astra

per aspera ad astra New Member

When I'm mega-stressed I also grind my teeth in my sleep. Wearing a bite guard helps with the head aches as well as muscle fatigue / jaw pain, for me at least.

Hashi likes this.
  12. ellebelle

ellebelle New Member

Yep. I've been told its from TMJ, slight overbite as well, but I also used to grind my teeth as a child, and later began clenching in my sleep.

I also get wicked migraines. I've even found myself clenching throughout the day, and it does seem different from the muscle and jaw constrictions that accompany certain medications and stimulants. Those tend to be more long term clenching in the back of my mouth (molars and muscle clenching) whereas stress clenching usually happens for me in my front teeth and is much more noticeable and easy to recognize (and subsequently admonish myself).

I've found (from years of stress on top of add medications) that forcing yourself to keep your jaw slightly open, or placing the tip of your tongue between your teeth can help prevent mindless clenching and grinding.

Although once you go to sleep, there's no controlling that, lol.. I'd suggest getting a mouthguard.

13. Anna

Anna Guest

Yes, especially at night. My dentist made me a mouth guard to put in my mouth at night to stop it damaging my teeth. It tends to get worse when I am stressed out.