• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Supporter Co-worker Suffering From Ptsd Got Me Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susie30

New Here
I knew he had PTSD and TBI from the beginning of knowing him, and we had a professional relationship. Once we started working together, we found we had a lot in common, and got on very well. We went out one time, and it ended about 2.5 hours, because he got frustrated with an activity we were doing and left. We continued to talk after that, because I know it was PTSD related. However, he embarrassed me with a professional in the work environment. Without getting the boss involved, I tried to handle it on my own, which was a bad move. He did not like me mentioning his PTSD, and started to believe I told other people about his diagnosis. However, I never told anyone about things he had told me. I thought his anger would subside, but he got me fired from my job, stating that I spread rumors about his diagnosis, which wasn't true! I can't understand why he would think I would have ever done that to him. I really cared about him and never wanted to hurt him. I finally apologized, taking the blame for something I don't really understand, and I have heard nothing from him. I don't know how to deal with it now.

I worked with him and he told me the first day I met him that he had PTSD and TBI. He would sometimes tell me stories from Afghanistan and I would listen. My brother was there too and dealt with the same issues. He told me he was seeing a therapist, and taking anti-anxiety and anti-depressive medication. I always had a professional relationship with him until he told me that he like me more than anyone there and started smiling, following me around, offering to buy me food, asked me out in a passive way. I knew technically I shouldn't go out with him, since he was a co-worker, but we got on so well, and I wanted to be friends with him, because he was fun and interesting, cute, and nice. After about three months of working with me, he told me that he didn't want kids, didn't want to get married, didn't know what he wanted, thought he could love many people, and started dating a new girl. I told him a couple of days later how much it hurt me, and that I liked him, and that I did not think for one minute he was a polygamist. The next day after, he tells me how he thinks the girl gave him strep from too much kissing. That hurt me so bad, but I was trying not to let it affect our professional relationship. Then I had made an appointment for him to see someone, and I was told by that person that he displayed some behavior I had never seen before - wanting to be seen on time for an appointment and getting angry about it. I also noticed him staring through me when I tried to ask him questions, ignoring me, pacing back and forth and staring at a wall. When I confronted him about it through a letter, he texted me that I made him extremely uncomfortable and that he didn't know what behavior I was referring to, and that if I did my research I would realize he was not a bad guy. I thought I would give him space to calm down, so I never texted him back. But a few days later, he took my letter to the boss, and claimed I had been telling people about his diagnosis, because a stranger approached him and asked him about his PTSD. It got me fired, because I think my company didn't want to really investigate my side of the story. I was the scapegoat. I apologized in a text, but he won't respond, so I am trying to let it go, but it's hard. I never meant to hurt him, and I never said anything to anyone about him.

I'm confused why you made the appointment for him to see someone? Can you clarify why you took on this role? This is typically not something that a new friend would do. Making medical appointments is usually only done by family, a partner, or a very close friend. It seems odd to me that appointment making would happen with a new friend.

Welcome to the forums :hug: I hope this place helps you. It's very useful because of the bulk amount of people who feel similar and understand. There is a lot of advice and support to be found here :) I hope that this amazing community helps you as much as it helped me, reading all the similar stories, and learning a lot along the way. Hugs if you accept :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back