1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Combat ptsd site merger (check in)

Discussion in 'Military & Emergency Services' started by CyclePath, Aug 5, 2017.

1. leehalf

leehalf Well-Known Member

I understand where you guys are coming from and I agree you should have a private forum.

I admit I did read alot of information at the combat PTSD site. And it truly was valuable information for US. However, I did notice that supporters were initially welcome there but it only caused problems so eventually it became for veterans only.

I do hope you all continue to share with us but I'll completely understand if you don't.

Have a great day everyone!

dulcia, ladee and CyclePath like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

There lies one of the issues. guests/visitors
    In the combat PTSD forum, there was an area for members only. guests and robots were never able to see into that. this forum has the same, some forums subject areas are members only.
    the majority of the "personal/combat" related posts were actually in that specific forum. i know i used it heavily, and so did quite a few others

what i was suggesting was group memberships rather than just member/non member

maybe not for all "traumas", but possibly combat, sexual assault.. the really heavy, personal ones

4. CyclePath

CyclePath Active Member

Also, I'm no IT guru, but the change happened and I had absolutely no idea what was going on. No note, no banner, no email, nothing. The site just stopped working and defaulted here. I didn't even know that my login worked here and that a merge had happened. I dunno, many might be thinking the site is down... A note or banner on the main page might help some return.

@Iceman BTW - the content of your last post is spot on. I rarely shared major topics outside of that forum.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
    scout86, Simply Simon, ladee and 2 others like this.
  5. joeylittle

joeylittle ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ All howl, no bite Administrator Generous $250+

Hi, @CyclePath - welcome, and it's nice to meet you. I'm Joeylittle (JL), and the admin on this site. @anthony is, of course, still the founder, developer, and ultimate guy-in-charge over here.

I think the idea of a private military forum is smart, and I can understand the reasons for it (in a way that I don't ultimately see the need for private forums for other types of trauma). The members diary section here provides a certain amount of privacy, as it's not accessible by guests or search engines. That has proven to be a workable level of privacy for our membership-at-large, and anyone who wants to have a completely private diary can opt to upgrade to Premium membership.

The argument for not creating a closed forum would be just that. There is a place that isn't searched on the great wide web, and (as you pointed out earlier), the internet is not exactly private, anyway. We often have members wanting to call this a "safe space", and we are pretty strict in reminding them that no, that's not a thing we claim in any way. We are a space for sufferers and supporters to connect around PTSD. We believe in peer support, and we believe in the value of getting the experiences out instead of closing them in. We believe in recovery, whatever that looks like for each individual. Functionality.

On the other hand, "military" and "combat" aren't just types of trauma. They are whole worlds unto themselves.

I am certain that there are things about military culture that I, as a civilian, will never fully understand. No way, no-how. And I believe there is a lot of value in having a space where you (general 'you') don't have to explain repeatedly how things work in your culture to the well-meaning but uninformed general population.

I also believe there are symptoms that we can all connect around, regardless of our trauma origins. My hope would be that ultimately, the MyCombat members will start to feel comfortable here, and get use out of the whole board, not just a portion of it. Then again, we have members who almost exclusively post in their member trauma diary only. In other words, everyone can use the board how it suits them best.

Normally, we move all forum-related discussions immediately into the help-ticket area, as threads can get heavily derailed by members of the community all weighing in on forum issues that are ultimately not really up for discussion. But since there are a number of posts in the thread asking this question (re: a private combat board on the forum), I wanted to leave things in place for now, and tag Anthony for his thoughts.

I'll ask that the topic of the thread go back to where it began - check in for the imported members - and ask that all other discussion of a private board, how the import worked, etc, be raised via help-ticket instead of here.

And once again, welcome.

ladee, Iceman, leehalf and 3 others like this.
  6. anthony

anthony Go Hard - Rip It Up! Founder

You will now see the existing military, members only, available for you.

7. dulcia

dulcia Was tiredtexan Donated

"Supporter" of an OEF/OIF combat vet here. I used to creep the combat site sometimes too. Good place to get insight into my vet's head when I feel stuck. Just know that there's a good group of us here who are with combat vets, so you probably can't insult or scare us off easily ;) Sucks about the move, but hope y'all stick around.

ladee, CyclePath and leehalf like this.
  8. OldDoorGunner

OldDoorGunner I'm a VIP Premium Member

I'm here.......

Ronin, SaharaSon, scout86 and 3 others like this.
  9. BaMuoiBa

BaMuoiBa Was Ba Muoi Ba

QUOTE="CyclePath, post: 1298566, member: 43634"]Anyone else out there lurking? Seems to be a lot going on at this site. Kinda intimidating.... Lot...[/QUOTE]
    Lurking ... indeed!!:cautious::cautious::cautious:

Ronin, SaharaSon, scout86 and 4 others like this.
  10. CyclePath

CyclePath Active Member

11. void

void I'm a VIP

A warm welcome to you all!

Fwiw, those with C-PTSD have some trouble relating to those with healthy developmental periods and single incident PTSD, as well. And, of course, neither of us can understand combat.

The PTSD world is a Venn diagram of Combat PTSD, C-PTSD, Single incident PTSD and others, having areas of commonality and areas where we can't relate.

Take care.

Simply Simon, scout86 and CyclePath like this.
  12. SaharaSon

SaharaSon Active Member

I'm not checking in, I'm checkin out. I won't back. I'm feeling isolated, insolated and walled off. Even more so than normal. Not a good feeling. Its not helping me. I'm in a donut hole, fu*ckin' story of my life. It's nobody's fault, its just the way it is. So I'll say, God Bless everyboby here at myptsd, and I will see everybody on the other side of the River Jordan. Saharason, over and out.

13. CyclePath

CyclePath Active Member

@SaharaSon - this site can be hard, but don't run off just yet. I know your probably not big on the New Testament, but there is good advice in the chapters of Corinthians 1 & 2. Maybe give them a read and realize that we are one body of many. Take a breath. If not, may the hand of God be with you wherever you go and in whatever you do.

ladee and scout86 like this.
Show Sidebar