1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Combat Stress & Gulf War Syndrome

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott_Fraser, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott_Fraser

Scott_Fraser Well-Known Member

He folks, Combat Stress and Gulf war syndrome made the national news last night. An ex soldier whom I served with whilst attatched to the Staffordshire Regiment. Blasted 4 members of his family and wired up his house with explosives. When he had killed his family, he cooly handed himself in to his local police station. This chap had all the signs of Combat Stress, plus Gulf War Syndrome added on for good measure, but there was no help for him, the so called experts failed to pick it up, "Typical".
    Gulf War Syndrome is what happened to a lot of British Squaddies who just prior to Gulf War 1 were given an injection to stop the affects of Saddam's Chemical Warfare threat. It was not compulsary to take it. I refused it not from having the position of rank, but I said to my platoon, that they don't need to take this. This chap took the injection.
    Now the Government still says that there is no link between getting this untried (at the time) drug and the syndrome. But so many young men have it now. Did any of you GI's get this vaccine as well.
    Cheers
    Scott:mad: :mad:

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

I wondered about you Scott when I saw this on the news last night. I feel angry on soldiers behalf when the help they receive is so inadequate. The report said he'd been 'mentally ill' for some time and they had not known how to help him. How pathetic is that? Just from that tv report the bells rang in my head. It seemed pretty bloody obvious to me what was going on with him and I'm no doctor.

4. Scott_Fraser

Hi Claire, thanks for your reply, yes I totally agree with you. It is shameful so it is. We serve our Queen and Country, and then we are just dumped. And if we have any Combat Stress, or Gulf War Syndrome, (Which the Government will never admit to) then tough. Unless a psycologist has their finger on the pulse then your up the creek without a paddle, and this is what happens.
    Cheers Claire
    Scott:hello:

5. catatonicky

catatonicky Member

Aftercare of soldiers essential

It seems absolutely incredible to me that the armed forces dont have some kind of automatic screening and ongoing monitoring process of people who come back from war. Combat PTSD must be recognised as one of the job hazards and occupational health and safety issues. The ongoing health of its soldiers must be the first priority and we simply should not hear about cases like this even happening; it is a shocking indictment. Its totally a form of institutionalised neglect and cruelty. The military must be held personally, morally and financially accountable for this!

6. Scott_Fraser

Hi Cat, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the military wants to help its soldiers, but its the blooming politicians that run the Ministry of Defence, and in particular Tony Blair. He sends our troops into battle, without a thought of the consequences of the soldiers suffering ptsd and combat stress after they leave the forces. Because its only when you leave, the Combat Stress hits you, usually about 4 to 5 years after. Before my regiment came out of Bosnia there was a team from the Medical Corp came to speek to us about the horrors that we had seen there, but nothing was ever mentioned about Combat Stress or ptsd, they just said that some of us might be a little upset about what we saw and witnessed, (Biggest bloody understatement of the century) please excuse my language, Cat?
    Take care
    Scott:hello: