1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Comfort Food Ideas For When You Have No Appetite

Discussion in 'Social' started by hodge, May 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

I'm guessing there are other people here who, like me, have trouble eating when upset or symptoms are going full steam, etc. Nothing sounds good, but you have to eat ... so, I thought it might be useful to have a thread where we can post our favorite comfort foods -- something we can usually make ourselves eat even when we have no appetite -- so that we can get ideas from each other when our usual doesn't do the trick. Healthy is better, of course, but the object here is to get at least some food in there.

Here are some of mine:

Vermicelli with parmesan cheese, lemon juice, and a little margarine

Cheese quesadilla with salsa and avocado

Stouffer's mac and cheese; add broccoli and fresh tomato

Others, anybody?

Rain likes this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

When I was going through drug withdrawals and I got so ill I could barely hold a thing down and eating was the last thing I wanted... I at the time could drop 10 lb in the blink of an eye, days really, I would consume Ensure, chocolate flavored. That and a lot of Sprite Zero. Sprite always made the best burps to settle the tummy.

But comfort food, one was semi OK health wise, I think the crackers are probably not good for you, but club crackers and mushed up avocado. Butter flavor to the extreme. The other one was very unhealthy so easy to make and if chocolate had an orgasm this would be it, but hubs used to make it for me. He would get a block of cream cheese and let it get soft. Then an entire package of Oreos and crush them in a big bag with a rolling pin. He would them mix them together saving just a small amount of Oreo. He would then melt semi sweet chocolate and take little balls he had made from the Oreo and cream cheese mix and dip them and put them on wax paper. He would then sprinkle the rest of the Oreo on top for "crumbs". Pop in the freezer for and hour or two and you have a heavenly rich chocolate bliss that is there on demand and last a long long time.

I think Cookie on here tried this with mint Oreos with good results. I would but I gained way too much weight to even think about it! But the mint version sounded so good.

4. hodge

Wow, that sounds rich! I could maybe handle a couple of those if it was the low-fat cream cheese :) I have a low tolerance for rich sweets, though I do love a bite or two at a time, and this sounds really good, something like chocolate-covered Oreo cheesecake- yum!

If I can ask, were you going through withdrawal from an antidepressant? Just because I guess I'm looking at that pretty soon.

5. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Actually, I was going through Xanax withdrawals when I got so sick and had to drink ensure to keep weight on. But the comfort food was happening during SSRI withdrawals and PMS. I have since been told by a therapist PMS is a lot worse with PTSD and I am reacting normal. I ended up gaining a large amount when they upped the SSRI dose. Today... For the last couple of weeks I am gaining as fast as I used to lose with no reason. I mean I put on pants that fit last week I cannot button today. True example there. My chest has gotten so large I can barely move my arms around the "girls" to do the floor positions for yoga and my toddler even pointed it out. I went to take a corner and my hips hit the corner it had gained on so fast. I have gone to more veggies and very healthy eating even though I ate healthier than most to begin with (no sugars), but still it is doing a very fast pile up and I am clueless. I make everything from scratch so I know what is in it but it is just piling on at lighting speed, faster than pregnant! It needs to slow down before I get branded or have the word goodyear light up down my side!

If you are about to cut make sure you have a good exercise plan that is easy to help you through it. Exercise does a lot for how you feel even if not much for pounds. Don't forget the basics often overlooked.

6. YoungAndAngry

YoungAndAngry Well-Known Member

My comfort food is cereal.
    Dry and/or in a big bowl of milk
    I always keep a box of cereal by my laptop.
    (that way I can easily refill my bowl :rolleyes:)

junglegirl likes this.
  7. wildfirewildone

wildfirewildone Well-Known Member

While struggling to heal from food poisoning and having almost no appetite due to the intense nausea these foods were on my list to get something in my stomach:
    Cinnamon bread-toasted or not
    Banana popsicles
    Sugar-free popsicles---multiple flavors
    Tapioca pudding--store bought Cozy Shack brand
    Tapioca pudding--no sugar added--6 pack Cozy Shack Brand
    Banquet chicken pot pie--occasionally for protein

KEEPING THE PEACE

8. melvin

melvin New Member

I always crave kale when I'm funky, cooked with garlic, braggs, olive oil and nutritional yeast. Tempeh and super-hot homemade ginger kombucha are also big comfort foods.
    Chocolate peanut butter zig-zag soy delicious, rosemary bread and dark beer have also been known to do the trick :loopy:

9. hodge

Bagels and cream cheese
    Snickers ice cream
    Fruit or lemon yogurt
    Chocolate milk
    Pecan granola bars

10. reallydown

reallydown I'm a VIP

i can always have anything from the chocolate food group :p

11. BassistKara

BassistKara Active Member

Nothing beats a bit of Oriental flavoured two minute noodles with some fried tofu in it! (gotta love being vegan! lol!)

12. melvin

melvin New Member

Yay!! I was hoping I wasn't the only vegan here!!!!!!!!:hello:

13. hodge

Okay, vegans, can either of you post some ideas for preparing tofu? We'd really like to cut more meat out of our diet. I just have no idea how to make this stuff.