• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Companion Animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senecia

Confident
I'm learning a bit more about myself and my condition. More so that this thing I have doesn't ever go away, I just learn how to deal with it. I went to visit my psychiatrist to get a new prescription, and we started talking about support animals. When my fiance left on his short deployment, it triggered my feelings of abandonment and I spiraled down deep. My psychiatrist thinks that a companion animal would greatly benefit me in the long run, especially because I'm such an animal lover. Unfortunately, I can't do that yet - as I haven't moved out of my mother's apartment. Though that will happen soon; I've had a big raise and am no longer in college letting that suck away all my income.

Psychiatrist recommended a black dog for rescuing, and also because people are generally more afraid of black dogs (even though it's silly). It would make me feel safer. I want a Dead Link Removed (belgian shepherd) but I'm just not sure which breed I should go for once I'm able. I want a dog that will protect me and isn't entirely passive, but I also don't want one that will stress me out through aggression and over-protection of 'their' property. Perhaps that just takes training. What breeds do you recommend? Do you think a service animal is a better choice than simply a non-certified companion? Advice appreciated!

Psychiatrist recommended a black dog for rescuing, and also because people are generally more afraid of black dogs (even though it's silly).

It is not silly, it is racist. I rescued a black dog, a stray. Black dogs are not rescued from the Humane orgs and pounds generally. My best friend is a shepard/ Black lab + mix. She came with all her loving, loyal skills (vet thought she was 1 yr, abandoned or lost.) Could not locate a chip, or the owner who LOVED this dog, as I do. I say I know she was LOVED because of her careful companionship. Basic training I refer you to the Monks of New Skete (many videos and books) who train German Shepards. She is a true companion.

I found her in the bay area and our walks 2x day was about 20 blocks through very diverse neighborhoods. This kids would come out and at first were afraid, as they knew mainly dogs chained into tiny enclosed spaces. One kid asked "does he bite?" I responded that she would only if someone was very mean to her." "How do you know its a she?" Well how do you know you are a he?" He blushed as he looked down. Then asked it he could touch her. "Yes, but put your hand out towards her nose and let her sniff, and she will tell you and you will know it is alright to touch. He giggled as she sniffed and gave a tiny little lick. Then I said he could touch her ears which are very soft. He petted her and she reached up her snout and gave a tiny lick to his cheek. This became know as the Bella Kiss, and daily kids would come out on our walks for their kiss. Kids calling out Bella, Bella and line up for that kiss.

As companion I could not have found, chosen, or been gifted with a better friend. She is wary, but not aggressive, but could and would defend me if needed. She is not anxious but aware, ready to sense my take. She loves to be loved and seeks it from all we meet, yet when wary we pay careful attention to the circumstances.

I hope you can find your own Bella.

Dogs can make a HUGE difference.

The difference between getting a dog that is a companion animal and a service animal really comes down to your needs. Charlie (the crazy guy in the picture) is in training for service work. That means I can take him out to places that otter dogs can not go. When I am certain that he is useful, trained to help me and a little older Charlie will be with me 99% of the time. He will come to work with me. I need that. Taking a dog with you everywhere is a lot of work. It's not fun but if it's something that you need it's worth the effort. He's helped me ground in situations that would have left me very vulnerable otherwise- and he doesn't know his training well enough yet for me to consider him a full Service Dog.

Companion dogs don't have to go through rigorous training though you may find that teaching your companion dog (or Emotional Support Animal) to be very fulfilling and rewarding.

The big questions about what KIND of dog really comes down to you. What's your energy level? Why are you getting the dog? etc.

The "bully breeds" have a harder time with access since they look mean and have a bad reputation. The "prettier" your dog is the more attention it draws and the more likely that people will want to stop and and talk to you and pet your dog. Charlie is pretty. This is a drawback for me but I usually have a vest on him that says do not pet and I have to wear head phones in public so people don't tend to stop me.

As far as a full service dog, if this is something you want, getting one already trained is cost prohibitive. I couldn't afford it on a dare. Hence I am working one on one with a 'trainer' and doing a lot of the work now myself.

Talk to your therapist about all of this as well. Know that his recommendation with assist you with housing (living in no pet housing with a ESA or SD for instance) once you get either an ESA or SD but will be most important for an SD.

Given the way you've phrased things and based on what you've written in your posts, it sounds like a service animal is not what you need. That is, a true service animal is something you NEED to function in life and it doesn't sound like you are at that level of functioning. And, it sounds like your doc was recommending a pet if she didn't use the words "service dog" or even "therapy dog" or something along those lines. A companion animal is just a pet, nothing more.

PS, I have a Belgian Shepherd/ German Shepherd Rescue cross, she has the most beautiful disposition I have ever seen, a heart as big as the world & smarter than me, easily. :)

All German Shepherds are often referred to (as other breeds) one-person dogs; that is a misnomer. But it's my experience they will focus on one & branch out to the entire rest of the family. (They even will act 'guilty' if in the presence of their "1st person" & they give equal attention to any of the other people). This is my 3rd German Shepherd. Unless you've owned one you have no idea how beautifully & incredibly sweet & gentle & overwhelmingly tender-hearted they are with proper training & handling. The bravery is second to it & natural, the reason they will jump out of planes etc is where you go they want to come.

Psychiatrist recommended a black dog for rescuing, and also because people are generally more afraid of black dogs (even though it's silly).

This is a little weird to me. I'd do research and also check into rescues. Go for smarts and personality you can click with. If you check with a rescue, you can meet the dog as an adult and have a good feeling for personality and fit. My dog snuggled up to me right away and almost "chose" me. He is fantastic but would not have been an ideal dog for others.

For your abandonment stuff and triggers, it sounds like a good companion more than a protection dog is maybe what would make sense. All dogs that love you have some protective abilities, but bigger dogs are obviously a little more strong and potentially off-putting strangers or crappy people. When I think of black dogs, I think of black labs...incredibly friendly, pretty passive. Or some dark German shepherd mixes...very protective, but a little more aloof. If you want a really good buddy, you might want a golden retriever but they don't always have the protective traits.

You could look up protective breeds, but sometimes they are more aloof (not always). Or very friendly breeds (not always best protectors). Or just consider a big strong dog of a smart breed or mix (easy to train, will love their human, and will be protective if needed). I've had friends get fantastic smart mixes through golden retriever, German shepherd, and border collie rescues (border collies are high maintenance but very smart, sometimes very good in a big breed mix).

My opinion (worked for me), look for a big dog at a shelter (or check online rescues in your state if leaning towards certain breeds). Ask about his/her history, take him/her on a few walks before deciding...see how it goes. You could also ask about breeds (usually they just have to guess, but that's sometimes a start). Also, training is good for anyone who hasn't had a dog before. I was into looking up breeds and expensive breeders...then just found my dog at the local shelter and he's amazing. If anything out-of-the-ordinary is happening, he'll let me know. Weird car outside in the middle of the night? He'll bark (not a barky dog, but most dogs have good senses and alarm abilities). I feel very safe with him, but he's also a very good buddy.

Last edited:
I have a small dog who is a PTSD therapy dog. I can't take her everywhere. She is black and the only thing I've noticed is that people assume she's a male dog. She has a heart of gold and really likes children and old people.
I take her to work with me. She alerts me when the door to the office building opens. It is a flight down from me, but she can hear it open. Alerting me is the best benefit for me along with grounding and anxiety reduction. I consider her my companion.
I had a Shepard/husky mix. He had the most intelligence than any of my dogs. He followed my children everywhere when they were young. I was in my woods collecting greens for Christmas wreaths and a guy appeared out of nowhere and had a rifle. It took about 30 seconds for him do run into the woods and stand between me and the guy with the gun. He stared the guy down and bared his teeth. The guy took off. Good doggie!!

Thank you all. I didn't think I need a service dog, but I figured I'd ask anyway. I want a companion animal - it's easier, less rigorous, and the professional certification is unnecessary in my situation. I can function fairly well on my own. In regards to the black fur - I'm not the superstitious type. But I've met many a folk who get all squirrely when they see black animals, inherently thinking they're aggressive or that it's "bad luck." Ridiculous. Thus they go un-adopted at shelters more often. I wouldn't say it's racist or silly (revision to previous statement), considering black is the color of night. And for thousands of years, we've been afraid of night time - it holds scary things that come out to eat us, and of course the myths with helldemons and what have you. It makes sense to me, at least, why people would be more afraid of black fur. Anyways - we're smarter than that now I'd hope.
I'll probably end up going to the shelters and getting a good vibe of the different animals. I have faith I'll connect with one, and that will be that. Couldn't work out any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back