• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Compassion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Edafe

Have you ever wondered if all of the challenges, traumas, abuses etc that you have experienced has left you unable to feel compassion? Lately I find myself wondering if that is my situation. I don't seem to be able to find compassion for myself and when I am caught in conversations, meetings or just simple things like watching TV I get aggravated when people are explaining why they should be given special consideration for breaks, jobs, contracts and a whole host of other things.

It's okay if you tell me I am horrible I am just having a really hard time lately questioning why do some people seem to have an effortless life. Things always seem to work out in their favor and they have little in life to truly complain about. I know these are my judgments from the outside but lately I can't seem to get a stoplight to go my way at an intersection.

Uhm, what is their excuse for special consideration?

Is it piddly little stuff?

I'd probably be exasperated too.

Your not horrible!

I have a really hard time feeling compassion too. I'm pretty much incapable of feeling it for myself and rarely for others. It's one of things my T wants me to work on as we go along this merry road to hell and back that is ptsd

Compassion burnout is a very real thing. I know I'm stuck in the burnout right now.

Even here I find myself rolling my eyes at posts I normally would feel empathy for. I know it's my issue, I don't give my input on those threads, for obvious reasons.

Sometimes your emotional sponge just gets full and needs time to be rung out. At least that's how it is with me.

It doesn't make you a bad person, just a person. It's what we do with that cynicism and negativity, that's good or bad.

Thank you everyone I appreciate the feedback. I like the concepts of Compassion burnout and my emotional sponge being full. The issue that set me of...[/QUOTE]

Also keep in mind that what may appear effortless on the surface may not be the actual reality behind the scenes. Folks are taught and expected to only put their best foot (mask) forward in hopes of being viewed as functional and somewhat normal.

Sorry, not sure what happened to the rest of my post. Basically a business approached me wanting government subsidies/funding for their new business for the single reason being that she is a disadvantaged business owner. When I told her there wasn't any money to be found she got very upset. Like it was my fault.

I get it with people I gauge as not being very real, with themselves or others. When they are constantly the victim with no self awareness of accountability for themselves and they do little to help themselves or make an effort to be truly honest about their situation. It can be an over-the-top story but something doesn't quite fit right, or something that to me, is not that big of a deal (comparatively) that they seem intent on extracting sympathy for.
There's victims, and we are all testament to that, and then there's those who are stuck in a "poor me" victim mentality, which they are trying to get energy from others for, that I sometimes struggle to have compassion or energy for.
I'm not pointing any fingers here, it's just a generalizy observation and gut feeling in response to, that presses my eye roll buttons.

then there's those who are stuck in a "poor me" victim mentality, which they are trying to get energy from others for, that I sometimes struggle to have compassion or energy for.
I'm not pointing any fingers here, it's just a generalizy observation and gut feeling in response to, that presses my eye roll buttons.

I do not have compassion for the poor me types at all. I try to be patient up to a point but really they will remain stuck as long as they blame whatever for their situations in life. People feeling sorry for themselves seem to be stuck until they hit bottom.

The disadvantage is economic. I am not saying that one type of disadvantage is better than an other I just get tired of it being used as a club to try and get their way by beating people into submission with threats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back