• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Relationship Complex Ptsd And Implications For Supporting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie_123

New Here
Hello everyone,

As a supporter I have been reading more and more articles and threads to understand PTSD as much as I possibly can. During this process I have found information relating to Complex PTSD on this forum and on other sites that refers to a form of PTSD that shares similar symptoms to PTSD but has a different process of causation.

Complex PTSD is yet to be formally recognised by the DSM but many psychologists continue to petition for its inclusion as it draws attention to a separate form of PTSD. For those unfamiliar with the term, Complex PTSD differs from PTSD on the grounds of how the trauma is caused and internalised by the sufferer. So on the one hand, the cause of PTSD may be one or two severely traumatic events that create trauma compounded by a feeling of helplessness and being trapped in a situation. On the other hand, Complex PTSD is not caused by one or two severely traumatic events but rather by the ongoing experience of many repeated smaller traumas that an individual cannot escape. So, rather than one or two severe shock traumas that cause PTSD, Complex PTSD is more like a gradual layering of trauma that builds up over time to create the same outcome and similar symptoms.

This type of PTSD is particularly relevant to me as my girlfriend seems to suffer from Complex PTSD caused by a five year emotionally abusive relationship involving narcissistic behaviour that left her feeling powerless, unable to escape and suicidal. Now while there is information about this form of PTSD on this forum, I have been unable to find a deep discussion that focuses on how and in what ways this form of PTSD may impact upon the way that supporters should relate to and support their sufferers. So I am hoping that by starting this threat it might be possible to get the ball rolling and address a few important questions,

These potentially include:
  • Is the role of a supporter any different between PTSD and Complex PTSD?
  • Are there any specific strategies that can be adopted to support a person suffering with Complex PTSD that are separate and different to those used in the context of PTSD?
  • Does anyone else familiarise with my situation and also feel that their partner may also suffer with Complex PTSD?
  • Which strategies have they found to be the most useful when relating to/helping their partner and what might these strategies be?
  • If any suffers are reading this and feel they may be effected by Complex PTSD what have you found to be most useful approaches that your supporters have used to help you get better?

I hope that this thread starts a useful and helpful discussion and I look forward to your thoughts and opinions.

If any suffers are reading this and feel they may be effected by Complex PTSD what have you found to be most useful approaches that your supporters have used to help you get better?
Calm and steady.
Recognizing that yelling doesn't help me.
Putting across that he doesn't want to 'win' over me but instead is trying to help me the best he knows how.
Understanding that I am trying, even if that isn't apparent (this comes with my actually 'trying') - two way road.

The biggest thing for me as a sufferer is that I know that there is a 'safety first' atmosphere to the relationship. Both ways. I don't take advantage of him using my PTSD as an 'excuse' for poor behaviour, he doesn't take advantage of my freeze/fawn response to get what he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back