• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

BPD Complex ptsd vs. bpd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say, everything FINALLY came together for me after I read about complex PTSD, I am sure it will make its way into the DSM too

I have to say, everything FINALLY came together for me after I read about complex PTSD, I am sure it will make its way into the DSM too

The American Psychiatric Assocation (APA), the people who write the DSM, have already made statement that CPTSD will not be a diagnostic category in the DSM, as they feel the criteria are already correctly covered by unique diagnoses that already exist individually.

Part of their decision also encompassed the now new categorisation of PTSD and other disorders, from their prior category to the new category of "Trauma and Stressor Related Disorders" in the DSM V, which you can now find at http:// for your own reading.

All trauma is complex. Just because the psychiatric community has come up with a more complete diagnosis for a group of people does not seperate us, or simplify anyone's trauma. I am greatful for the diagnosis that has given me some hope. Now that I have identifed it...someday I hope I can moving on in life from it. Although I have no idea how...

Complex PTSD is caused by many, many separate events, which occur over a long period of time, extending through hundreds of memory pathways. C-PTSD calls for different treatments to get results. EMDR works on PTSD because you can go back to the one event and treat for the one event and it relieves the symptoms. Desensitization can also work because you have a particular thing to desensitize from. Unfortunately, I have too many traumatic events to be able to forget.

The DSM-I came out in 1952 - there were 106 diagnoses, including the diagnosis of homosexuality as a psychiatric disorder. The DSM continues to evolve as our understanding of neurobiology and psychology increases. It is not included in the DSM because it has only recently been discovered, and still being researched.

Please, let's stay united as a community and not challange one another because some of us are a bit less functional than others.

CPTSD has been around for 20 years... its not new. It was around at the time of the DSM III and applied for inclusion the the DSM IV, then DSM IV-TR, now also the DSM V, rejected from all three. The first two due to inconclusive data. The current doctrine because empirical data is now consolidated to say the CPTSD theory is incorrect, because a majority of trauma sufferers who endure the specifics involved don't equally fit the proposed criterion.

People should not get wrapped up in CPTSD... this site is about the truth, and the truth is that CPTSD as a diagnosis has been rejected conclusively now. There is no diagnostic criterion to be diagnosed with this... labelled, yes, diagnosed, no.

The facts as they stand now, the APA are looking at including DESNOS, which will become the diagnosis for those fitting complex trauma.

I wouldn't say all trauma is complex though... that is wrong. That is an emotional approach, not a factual approach. You can say that to be "emotionally" supportive, but that is just not factual.

CPTSD is no different to other terms already used, such as Secondary PTSD, Combat PTSD, etc... none of which are diagnoses, they are purely terms. None of them have clinical significance other than a term used to quickly identify specific actual diagnoses the person has based on trauma type. That is the key word... "trauma type".

CPTSD = PTSD + BPD and/or dissociative disorder.
Combat PTSD = PTSD + substance abuse disorder and/or mood disorder
Secondary PTSD = PTSD from being traumatized by someone else with PTSD (relationship) due to abuse endure that is in itself, traumatic (physical and/or emotional).

None of the above are diagnoses, they are terms quickly used.

The APA discussed pulling PTSD apart a couple of years ago, into diagnostic categories, and they concluded that it just wasn't in the best interest of the patient, as correct diagnoses already existed. Basically, if its not broken, don't try and fix it.

The beginning DSM's and psychiatry was quite young and within infancy compared to psychiatry today. Whilst it is still evolving, neuroscience has really helped define stability which we're now seeing in the development of the DSM V, through confirming current practices or slightly amending. Very little new is being added to the DSM V overall, more its being refined, as current practices, data and neuroscience has confirmed accuracy for the majority of current psychiatry... which for those within the past decade, is overall good news IMO.

We have traumatic, abnormally traumatic and then complex trauma. There is a very clear and definitive difference between all three types and how they interact with the brain and behaviour in general.

Thinking about this, considering this is the umpteenth time this topic has been discussed, I will include it in the revised "Understanding PTSD" document I have nearly completed... Will do that right now.

There is no such thing as complex PTSD either... there is only complex trauma. PTSD is the only diagnosis that exists. Complex PTSD is perpetuated and has no legal or professional use.

Those with complex trauma are diagnosed with PTSD + dissociative and/or personality disorder/s.

Anthony, can you speak to the diagnostic criteria of dissociative disorder? I am new to this term, and I have learned that some psychiatrists at my local hospital don't "believe in" dissociation. How can that be? Is it for each therapist to pick and choose what diagnoses they do and don't "believe" exist? I get it that not all practicioners of each science buys into all of it, but it's a challenge for me that so many people are divided about dissociation and "repressed" memories.

It is up to the individual therapists in what they believe in... unfortunately you will never rule out the human equation in medicine... well, not any time soon.

Dissociative disorders are real, current, legal diagnoses... DID is the only contentious disorder, more so than PTSD is at present, being the two most contentious disorders within mental health at this given time.

DID purely because they renamed it from MPD, and like PTSD, physicians are handing it out willy nilly to anyone who says they feel like they have several personalities within them, which isn't DID. Physicians are abusing diagnostic application, especially within America. No other country in the world has the number of DID / MPD diagnosed as that within America. America is killing mental health in some respects due to capitalistic greed.

The official and current dissociative disorders are:
  • http://
  • http:// (The problem child)
Quite honestly, with the newer categorization of trauma and stressor related disorders in the DSM V, I can see that whilst they won't be including CPTSD still, the APA don't deny complex trauma, but to categorize it under existing structures was impossible. With the new categorization system, I can see a different form of diagnosis introduced in the future to capture complex trauma uniquely, without trying to delve across so many diverse diagnoses that CPTSD attempted to do, which really caused the downfall of CPTSD before it ever got of the ground.

You can also see that they're really still tossing up about DID from http:// when looking at the current proposed revisions vs. DSM IV context tab... significant difference in wordings, yet still contentious disorder.

I agree. People compartmentalize their roles according to their environment like cameleons. So we all "wear different hats" and that doesn't mean we all have DID. I can see how people might feel overly compartmentalized by our American culture of work, work, work and no balance or acceptance that we don't have to have every thing, every new toy or product out there. Americans are told to be first and foremost a consumer and to deny natural feelings in order to need to buy things. This is a trap, and most Americans don't even see the problem. Most are put on so many pills! I knew a woman who was found passed out on the floor. She was on over 18 different drugs per day, 18 pills! If someone is that ill, she ought to be in a hospital. She realized that you cannot trust many Doctors as they are pill pushers for the most part here. Some are not, but it's hard to find those ones, because to them, it's not a "job" and they don't work for the drug companies; they fill up and have no room for more patients.

Sorry to jump in here like this on this topic but just to be clear, the Dissociative Disorder I was diagnosed with years ago and which I'm assuming has been now been dropped because I don't fit the profile of DID, it goes to the area of Depersonalization and Derealization, which is NOT a separate diagnosis, correct?

Depersonalization Disorder is a current dissociative disorder, by itself, if that is what you're asking: http://

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back