• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Supporter Concerned Girlfriend Hoping For Some Light To Be Shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopefulcup

New Here
Hi All,

Im a 27yr old Australian girl, in a relationship with the absolute love of my life- who suffers quite chronically with PTSD, anxiety and depression. Although we have only been officially dating for the past 7 months and living together for perhaps the last 3 of those, he has been a dear friend of mine since we were in high school so needless to say, we know each other quite well and on all kinds of levels, which is lovely and rare.

My beautiful man was diagnosed 3-4 years ago, and I would like to say that over that time he has made some very positive improvements.- however, very recently things have been very tough for him, and that of course only radiates onto myself and our relationship. I try to do and say all that I can to make it somewhat easier for him, but in all honestly he does not make this very easy for me, and more times than not I end up being the one hurt, and having to try to pick myself up and carry on, for both our sakes.

When he knows I am hurt his first instinct is just to give up and walk away, end the relationship so as not to let me get hurt any more, but we both know that neither of us want to live without the other, and the pain of being apart would far more outweigh the pain of getting through this awful disorder together.

Moods swings, short fuses, angry outbursts, spirals of depression, erratic behaviour, paranoia,these are all common themes which I am completely aware of and experienced with, I tend to be able to work through hose things fairly well with him, and a lot of patience and unconditional love.
- But what is concerning me a lot at the moment, is drug and alcohol abuse, bouts of gambling, reckless spending of money and just a flat out "I don't give a fk about anything or anyone'' attitude.

He is seeing a psychiatrist and is on a number of different medications. But I just feel like there could be so much more out there to help him than just that.

I am reaching out so desperately tonight, in hope to find people I can connect with who can possibly shed some light for me, give me some tips, or advice for coping when times are tough. He is hurting, but wowwweee so am I at the moment and I feel completely alone in this. Someone help me.

He seems to be at his wits end with seeking help from therapists etc..
Visits with his current psych seem to send him on a tail spin, and often a downward spiral, but he must get something from seeing him because he's continuing follow up visits.

I could probably take more time out for myself, which i know he wants me to do, I just find it very difficult to switch off from him.

high risk behavior was a common theme for me when I returned home from Iraq, but in time and with therapy it passed. I was trying to relive that high of combat through all the above behaviors you listed plus more. he isn't by chance a combat vet is he? not that it matters, just seeing if I can relate to your situation on a deeper level. my recommendation would be for him to strictly address the "high risk" behaviors in therapy and try to get some resolve as to why he is acting out.

Welcome to the forums :hug: I hope this place helps you. It's very useful because of the bulk amount of people who feel similar and understand. There is a lot of advice and support to be found here :) I hope that this amazing community helps you as much as it helped me, reading all the similar stories, and learning a lot along the way. Hugs if you accept :hug:

high risk behavior was a common theme for me when I returned home from Iraq, but in time and with t...
No he's not got the same back ground as you, but stIll any insight is very much appreciated thank you! I would really like to encourage him to take these issues to his psychiatrist and be very raw and honest about it, but addressing it with him is a very very sensitive subject, and more times than not I turn out to be the bad guy. (girl).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back