• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Confused About Emdr Therapy

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've met with my EMDR therapist twice now. The first session was mostly an intake, which is what I expected. We agreed that we would try to lower my anxiety level before starting the actual EMDR process. I also have a CBT therapist, who has spoken with the EMDR therapist, and both of them agree that we will get much further once we can lower the anxiety. I told both of them that I was just fine with that. So, during my 2nd EMDR session a few weeks ago, the therapist introduced the tappers to me. I admit it was skeptical at first that such a simple, hand-held device could target my anxiety, which was very severe that day. But I felt I had nothing to lose. Well, by the end of the session, the intensity of my anxiety went from a 10, to a 5 or a 6. So, the therapist asked me if I wanted to continue using them in future sessuons, so I agreed. Well, i was supposed to have a session this Friday, but she texted me saying that she has a schedule conflict. We did try to reschefule, but our schedules did allow for that.

I like this therapist's approach, but I feel like our sessions are a bit "disjointed," for lack of a better word. We had agreed to meet every other week, but now I'm not even sure when we are meeting next! I understand that things happen unexpectedly, but I'm starting to feel uncomfortable. I didn't discuss this with her yet because we were conversing via text, and I don't like texting much, especially about important issues.

Isn't EMDR supposed to have some continuity to it? I don't like not knowing when my next session will be. That is just creating more anxiety for me. Yes, I can call to find out, but I'm not even sure I'm on her schedule for every two weeks, like we agreed to.

Hi,

I think it would be a good idea to clarify with her whether or not you have a standing appointment time or not. I'm guessing not as there was a scheduling conflict. I think you'll be able to reduce your anxiety by working out the scheduling issues with your therapist.

The EMDR protocol can actually be done here and there. When I did it, I had to take it slowly and only do it once a month and it still was helpful. I did see the therapist the other weeks though, we just didn't do EMDR but once a month. We purposefully put it away entirely for a month between sessions.

In your case, what I think the bigger issue is not the technique but the theraputic relationship. Studies have been done that showed single biggest factor in any therapy technique working was the quality of the therapitic relationship between the client and the therapist. It seems like there is a disconnect between you and this new therapist. I would highly suggest letting the therapist know that you really need sessions planned out in advance, because having the predicable planned out sessions helps you feel like the process is more connected. Many clients are this way. I'm a client who is actually at the other end of the spectrum - I only like panning one week in advance. However, I would find it unsettling and anxiety producing to not know when the next session is going to be. My therapist knows these things about me and really works wih that.

For an adjunct therapist, they may figure you have another regular theeoaidt so they may not be as concerned about the regularity of sessions.

The first couple of sessions (and really the whole porcess) involves you and the theeoaidt getting to know each other and figuring out how to work together. I would consider even texting the therapist to tell them that you don't want to get into a discussion on text, but you really need to have the next few sessions planned out and ask when could they get you scheduled.

I've been in EMDR for 8 weeks and found that consistency is necessary. Having the next appointment unscheduled would drive me wacky.

Thanks everyone.

I discussed this with my CBT therapist today, and she was concerned. I think she thought I was going to ditch EMDR . I explained to her that was not my intention, but because the EMDR therapist and I have only met twice since the beginning of last month, I'm definitely having a hard time trusting her. The scheduling conflict for this week was not the first time that happened. It is very difficult to find an EMDR therapist who takes my insurance. My CBT therapist and I tried for several months before finding this one. But, as I said, I do like the EMDR therapist; I'm just having a hard time trusting her. Admittedly, though, part of that could be due to my trust issues in general based on my past trauma. If I can't trust her to get scheduling straight, how can I trust doing trauma therapy with her?

I plan to talk with her about all this next week when I call her, but I'm scared and confused right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back