1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Confusion of Anger and Sadness

Discussion in 'General' started by No-Twitch-Tabitha, Sep 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No-Twitch-Tabitha

No-Twitch-Tabitha Well-Known Member

When I was young, I was a cryer. Extremely sensitive, I would cry at the drop of a hat. Happy, sad, that's what I did. Period. Never really bothered me and others just got used to it.

My mother, however, nipped that in the bud when she started in on her emotional/verbal abuse or "punishment", since she really went after me whenever I had done something to earn her disapproval (after a while, it was just because I was there). Every time I started to cry because I sensed she was mad at me, she would tell me I didn't mean it. Well, after a while, I stopped crying, my emotions invalidated as far as she was concerned.

Now, I can only cry when I'm mad; in fact, my first response when I feel attacked or pissed off is to tear up. If I feel like crying or start to cry for any other reason, I hear her voice telling me that I don't mean it. Bitch.

I tend to keep my feelings under a tight lid until I burst and I now recognize that it just isn't healthy to do that. My other main issue is, I'm just not as tuned into my feelings - I tend to direct everything through my head, so there's a double-whammy. I'd rather think about them than feel them.

I know it's not an easy question, but what can I do to align myself correctly?

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Hi Tabitha! Nice to meet you.

I just groaned when I read this post. I had a similar experience when I was a child. I used to get a slap across the face and told that "ladies don't cry." The only emotion I was allowed to show was anger! (as if I needed that)

I stopped crying altogether expect for extreme circumstances. Until I hit my twenties. Then I discovered the sad movie. If I needed to cry (and you know when you need to) I would watched the saddest movie I could find. I would make sure that I was all alone (being around others would just make me suppress it) and had plenty of comfort things around me. I've been doing this for years! Now I can cry to movies around select people (although it still makes me uncomfortable.)

Yet, the biggest thing has been talking to my therapist. I don't really cry much, but I'm starting too. Therapy, therapy, therapy. I really think this is our answer. We have to learn new thoughts, beliefs, and practice them for them to work.

I hope this helped some??? Just know, that you are not alone in this emotional vortex!!

Bec

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar